Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

New - MK6x series: MR60 / MS60 FW v1.1.6.122 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - MK6x series: MR60 / MS60 FW v1.1.6.122 Released

I've let NG know about issues being seen with this version of FW. 
I'll recommend that users avoid updating to this version and not use it. 

Be sure to disable Auto Update to help keep the prior working FW version loaded on your MK systems. 

Message 51 of 79
smithg38
Aspirant

I had exactly the sames issues when reverting to V1.0.6.116, it was an extremely painful process and I even considered throwing the router and satellites in the bin.

Even more frustrating that I couldn't restore my IP reservation table from the backup file and had to enter them all in again manually.

I hope NG will release a stable update soon.

Message 52 of 79
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The speed test issue should be resolved it was a issue on the side of ookla. Also is anyone having any issues with the router bricking after the update?

DarrenM

Message 53 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 54 of 79
Naairda
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Are you referring to the bricking or the speedtest?

• Nothing bricked for me fortunately.
  • I never tested the speed when 1.1.6.122 was installed. Did a speedtest now using the nighthawk app. It worked, but this is FW 116 I'm on. NOT about to install 122 again. 
Message 55 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for your information. 

Message 56 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

To respond about the bricking. My router and satellite did not brick per say. After reverting back to the prior firmware, i do however notice that the satellite falls out of sync now. Connection between satellite and router isn't as good anymore. Internet speeds are inconsistent but not sure if it was due to something in the firmware.
Message 57 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you down grade both MS and MR back to v116 then factory reset and setup from scratch? 

@R0fflez wrote:
To respond about the bricking. My router and satellite did not brick per say. After reverting back to the prior firmware, i do however notice that the satellite falls out of sync now. Connection between satellite and router isn't as good anymore. Internet speeds are inconsistent but not sure if it was due to something in the firmware.

Message 58 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

sorry this response took a while. Yes i did downgrade the satellite first (MS60) then the router second (MR60). After both updated i did a 30-30-30 reset a couple times as well as a couple factory resets. After all this, i was able to connect to the internet but for some reason im still having some issues with the satellite.

When i login into my router it shows that the satellite is connected and i have blue LEDs on both devices, i thought for S**ts and giggles i would try to reconnect the satellite. As i press the sync button behind the satellite and then hit the sync on the router (physical or on the screen) 9 times out of 10 the sync will just timeout (router and satellite LEDs still show blue after timeout). I may have been lucky once or twice but even when the sync does not timeout the LED on the router is blue while the one on the satellite keeps blinking white. That happened i beleive twice only but every other time the sync just timesout.

I mentioned this as well but im not sure if all this has anything to do with my very very very unstable and inconsistant internet speeds. All i can say for this is before this whole firmware issue, ive always had very constant speeds across the board. I have not moved the location of either the satellite or router and have not messed with any of the wiring. I pay for gigabit internet service but am not achieving anything close to it either wired or wireless connected.

Ive opened a ticket with netgear in hopes i may get my warranty honored before it expires and waited 4 days for them to email me back a series of questions that i have already answered. (I just responded today with a very very disappointed response and will update people on this once i receive one)

At this point i just dont know whats going on with this unit now. Ive had an unstable connection to the internet ever since and im on my last limb with netgear at this point.

Message 59 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

I do not know if this is normal or usually happens but is my topology suppose to look like the picture I've attached? Cause I do not think the R7500v2 is a mesh satellite.. never use to show that before.

I've also been reading people talking about double NAT but would that matter if the firmware was reverted? And is it normal for a firmware upgrade to do things like this? Cause I've never ran into issues like this before

Asking for someone confused
Message 60 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

There seems to be a NH app issue regarding the display of the MS icon. 

Double NAT deals with your ISP modem having a built in router and having the MR router online at the same time. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You might want to revert to v116 FW has others have posted that using v122 causes more problems. 

@R0fflez wrote:
I do not know if this is normal or usually happens but is my topology suppose to look like the picture I've attached? Cause I do not think the R7500v2 is a mesh satellite.. never use to show that before.

I've also been reading people talking about double NAT but would that matter if the firmware was reverted? And is it normal for a firmware upgrade to do things like this? Cause I've never ran into issues like this before

Asking for someone confused

Message 61 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

The update to FW 1.1.6.122. has really messed up my system. It ran an auto update so could not choose .. I do not know how to disable that. The 3 sattelites keeps jumping off the system and changing from blue to red light. Then a short time after blue again... Never had those issues before.

I'm not very technical so I do not know how to revert...And that should not be nessesary.. Netgear come on!!

Furthermore my MR60 sometimes jumps off the Internet. Never had that issue before either..

hopefully an Update will be released soon.

Other problem is that In app and in the router configuation it does not see the sattelites. That worked yesterday.

I am starting to hate this product that I paid that much money for.

Any idea when the FW update will come ??

I did a total reinstall of everything... but still these issues.

Message 62 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

v122 isn't recommended and posted about that in this thread. Users should revert back to v116 on there systems. 

NG doesn't post if or when new FW will be forth coming. 

Message 63 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

I think I found the correct files not and will follow your guide.You know update satelites first etc. etc.

How can I disable automatic update?

Message 64 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

I do not know if anyone else is having the fans issues with the new FW. And also, even after reverting back to the previous FW I'm so having certain issues that are unexplainable. I have an open ticket with NG and they responded back to done of my concerns. I'm at work at the moment but I will post my conversation with them when I get off later today. I hope there are those who are finding all this information useful.
Message 65 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Roll back the MS first then MR lastly. 

@Eriksen76 wrote:

Please tell me how to roll back then and link to the needed files. Thanks

Message 66 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Thanks alot. Much appriciated. But in my router configation I only seems to be able to manually firmware update the MR60.

How do I manually update the sattelites first?

How can I disable auto update?

Message 67 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's available that option would be under Advanced Tab/Admin/FW update or Router Update menu...

Message 68 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Thanks I guess I figured it out. But they did not automaticly connected with MR60 after update. But I think I can manually connect them. And then do the FW downgrade of MR60 final as you told in the guide.

Message 69 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Update. I successfully downgraded everything.. But what I did not know was that by downgrading my FW on the router it seems like it put it back to factory settings.. You know.. the old SSID NETGEAR and everything. No problem, BUT setting it up again with the Nighthawk app it almost updated it again as it checked for FW update... I hurried into router settings on my computer and managed to disable the automatic updates that was activated once again even though I disabled it before downgrade..

Can't see I did anything wrong here. But I did not expect a factory reset by downgrading FW.

Message 70 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend setting up the router using a wired PC and web browser first, disabling any auto update features, then connecting the NH app to the system. The app may still show a FW update. If it does, ignore it for now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 71 of 79
Eriksen76
Apprentice

Thanks alot for your assistance. It seems my system is more stable now after downgrading FW. I can confirm that my sattelites now show connected devices which they did not with the 1.1.6.122 .

Message 72 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

@Eriksen76 please keep an eye on your network. I say this because my system says it's connected to the satellite but if you do a little digging you might find some odd things going on such as:

- some devices are labeled as wired when I'm fact it is connected wireless
- wired connection say wired, but in app show a wireless connection status bar
- sometimes device will not be labeled when logging into the satellite. It will show IPs for devices but do not label for which device
- all devices connected to the satellite wirelessly will show signal strength of one bar regardless if the device is sitting on top or near the satellite
- network speeds are unstable at which is happening throughout the entire day

Everyone please take note that some of these issues I have not mentioned in my past post for the simple fact that my network is just not working that well anymore. But everything I have mention are in fact the truth and I'm still trying to figure out why.

I just got off work and about to post a small response with NG and my open ticket with them. Please give me some feedback if anything that they said makes any sense. To me, just sounds like BS IMO.
Message 73 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

***** This specific post is a the conversation for the ticket that i have open with NG. Please do not take this post as me trying to discredit NG in any way or any type of malice toward the company as some might. NG has always been my go to brand when it comes to networking product. I just want others in this community to give me their opinion to better my knowledge on certain aspects of my customer service experience with them. At the end of the day, we all just want our concerns heard and our products up and running. *****

[ Note: I underlined, italicized, and bolded my concerns to their response and will ask certain question after each paragraph ]

So i sent a screen shot of a concern i noticed in the Android nighthawk app and have mentioned in this thread, in my network topology it shows the MR60 router connected to the internet but moving down the line for some strange reason the satellite is labeled correctly (which is MS60) but the picture shows an R7500 router. I also mentioned that the whole entire year that has past prior to the automatic FW update that it was showing the correct image of the MS60 satellite. In my ticket NG sent a response:

User Pic

NETGEAR Support Agent

2022-02-15 05:56:39

Hello Andrew,

Based on the screenshot you had sent it seems that the app is still documenting the correct name of your satellite which is MS60. The only issue here is that it uses a different icon/image for the satellite.

- If the app is documenting the correct satellite name, shouldnt the picture be the correct picture? Its true the picture shows the only issue, but being that i purchased an MK62 kit (1 router 1 satellite) should this actually be an issue at all? Shouldnt the unit be registered to identify its own couterpart that shipped in the same box?

This issue might just have been a slight bug on your router. This issue sometimes occur after doing a firmware update, what happens is that some residual files/data from the old firmware will still remain on the router even after updating it to the latest firmware.

- The slight bug was brought on by the automatic FW update that NG sent out but do things like this really actually occur after a FW update? This is actually the first time ive ever encountered something like this. I understand the concept of having residual files and data on devices but why would my MS60 satellite have any type of residual files and/or data on a device that isnt connected? Let alone have any files/data on a completely different device (R7500)?

These residual data could cause confusion on your router system causing slight issues.

Spoiler
Text below just explains how to do factory reset at which ive done a ridiculous amout of times just to get my network working

The best way to remove this is to do a factory reset on the router, and you can also include the satellite. To make sure that there are no residual data that may cause any errors on the router since they will be deleted during the factory reset and the only data that will remain is for the new firmware.

To do a factory reset on your router, you need to press and hold the reset button at the back of the router using a paperclip or a pin for 15 seconds while the router is still powered on.

Once he reset is successful your router's SSID and password will return to the default one and you need to setup again the router using the Nighthawk app for the router to get internet access and for you to configure your router settings.

Thank you.

Regards,

Rob
NETGEAR Technical Support

Message 74 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

Message 75 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements