Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk AX4300 + MK63 Mesh Router & Satellites

xe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX4300 + MK63 Mesh Router & Satellites

I have the RAX45 Nighthawk AX4300 which has been peforming almost flawlessly in a 2900sqft home.

I just (mistakenly) purchased the MK63 Mesh kit (1 router, 2 satellites) from CostCo thinking the systems we're plug and play /compatible to extend solid coverage into my backyard and garage.

Becuase the RAX45 has been so solid, and it's anchored in my home office where I am leveraging each of it's Gigabit Ethernet ports, I really do not want to replace this system with the Mesh gear (even if i do get a bit of a boost in speed and greater coverage).

Can I create a separate, extended mesh network that certain devices hook into by hanging the MK63 router off of one of the RAX45 Ethernet ports?   How would I go about configuring that - as a standalone system first??

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Try configuring AP mode on the MR. I would turn OFF the wifi on the RAX after you install the MK system in AP mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Just make sure to set the wireless channels for the RAX and the MK system on different channels to prevent interference with each other. 

Message 3 of 8
xe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for such a quick response.

I think I had the MK gear about 95% configured (thru the app) before I realized it wasn't going to fit my needs.

Now, hanging off of the RAX45, I get a blinking white light from the MK Router, but I don't see it in the RAX45 device list.    

Should I do a reset of some sort?   How  can I get the RAX45 to recognize so I can capture the IP and re-configure as an AP?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Set the RAX DHCP IP address pool for something smaller, say 192.168.1.100 thru .200. 

Now set a static IP address for AP mode ON the MR for 192.168.1.63, Give same subnetmask, use 192.168.1.1 for Gateway, you can input ISP DNS or use custom DNS for those fields. Save and apply the chane on the MR router for AP mode. The .63 will be outside of the RAX default DHCP IP address pool which is good, then you can use .63 to access the MRs web page when needed. 

Should be able to connect the MR to a open LAN port in back of the RAX router and it should now pass thru traffic. 

Message 5 of 8
xe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks furry  -  incredibly helpful for my next steps...  but I'm having trouble connecting to the MK router.  

I don't  know it's IP and the RAX45 doesn't show it in the device list...   thoughts?

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Read what the status is on the MR. Does it say it's got a connection to the internet? 

Being in static IP configuration, the RAX may not list the MR in AP mode using a static IP...

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

@xe wrote:

Thanks furry  -  incredibly helpful for my next steps...  but I'm having trouble connecting to the MK router.  

I don't  know it's IP and the RAX45 doesn't show it in the device list...   thoughts?

Simpliest way I've got to do it. 

Disconnect the MK system from the RAX. Reboot the MK system. Connect your pc/laptop to it. It'll give it an ip address so you can access it. (won't be online). Set it up how you'd like for ssid/password.  Then simply put it in access point mode. Once put in access point mode, it'll reboot. Your computer won't get an ip address until you connect the MK system to the RAX (because RAX is controlling dhcp). so when the MK system is rebooting, connect it to the RAX. The RAX should assign an ip address to the MK system and allow it to be used/accessed. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7