Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MK63 Backhaul Via Ethernet

dofdear
Initiate

Nighthawk MK63 Backhaul Via Ethernet

Building a new home and installing CAT6 throughout.  I wish to install 2 MK63 systems, a total of 6 boxes. (2-MR60 Routers and 4-MS60 Satellites)  I wish to backhaul the entire system via Ethernet and to configure 1 of the MR60 units as an Access Point (AP) and the other as a Satellite there by giving me a total of 5 satellites.  So here are my questions;

1) Will I need a dedicated Switch /Hub for the Mesh system or will it play well with all the other ethernet systems into a common swtch / hub?  So I'm thinking of a 24 port hub like a GS324 vs a 5 or 8 port hub just for the WiFi Mesh like a GS 305 or GS308. When I say systems I'm referring to desktop computers, printers, TV, security systems, etc.

2)  What is the proper way to configure the  MR60 designated as the AP?  Is my assumption correct that one ethernet cable will plug in from the Gateway into the port labeled INTERNET on the MR60 and the port labeled ETHERNET is wired to the Switch/Hub?

3)  Likewise, the MR60 designated as a Satellite would be wired between the Switch / Hub and the port labeled ETHERNET on the MR60?

4) What should I know about configuring this sytem either via the app or a computer?

5)  Are there any diagrams available or documentation that would assist in this configuration and setup?

Thanks in advance,

Dan C

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MK63 Backhaul Via Ethernet

@dofdear wrote:

Building a new home and installing CAT6 throughout.  I wish to install 2 MK63 systems, a total of 6 boxes. (2-MR60 Routers and 4-MS60 Satellites)  I wish to backhaul the entire system via Ethernet and to configure 1 of the MR60 units as an Access Point (AP) and the other as a Satellite there by giving me a total of 5 satellites.----This won't work as you expect it to. The problem with it is that the MR60 can't be configured as a satellite. And if you configure it as an access point, you'll have to set it with a different ssid or the satellites won't connect/devices won't roam properly. You can use it as an access point but use a different ssd and have setup the other 4x satellites while its powered off.   So here are my questions;

1) Will I need a dedicated Switch /Hub for the Mesh system or will it play well with all the other ethernet systems into a common swtch / hub?  So I'm thinking of a 24 port hub like a GS324 vs a 5 or 8 port hub just for the WiFi Mesh like a GS 305 or GS308. When I say systems I'm referring to desktop computers, printers, TV, security systems, etc.---most switches should work fine. I haven't found a switch that hasn't worked with my orbi systems and I've tried unmanaged, green switches, and managed switches. 

2)  What is the proper way to configure the  MR60 designated as the AP?  Is my assumption correct that one ethernet cable will plug in from the Gateway into the port labeled INTERNET on the MR60 and the port labeled ETHERNET is wired to the Switch/Hub?---If you're setting it up as an access point, just use it by itself. so run a wire from the switch to the wan port. 

3)  Likewise, the MR60 designated as a Satellite would be wired between the Switch / Hub and the port labeled ETHERNET on the MR60?---again, you can't "designate" it as a satellite. Doesn't work like that. 

4) What should I know about configuring this sytem either via the app or a computer?---set it up with whatever works best for you. I prefer using comptuer but some prefer the app. 

5)  Are there any diagrams available or documentation that would assist in this configuration and setup?

Thanks in advance,

Dan C

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7