Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MK63 Mesh Newbie

Chucksadoy
Aspirant

Nighthawk MK63 Mesh Newbie

Can anyone let me know if I need to have only the new mesh system connected to my internet main router when I attempt to setup the new system? Or will my Motorola MG7550 dual channel main router allow setup on an available ethernet plug connection with my current network operating? Hope this isn't a dumb question, but it could save me steps to know with four other uses in our network. Thanks!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Chucksadoy
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MK63 Mesh Newbie

Thanks for the reference to the manual. Unfortunately like all large manuals it assumes understanding of someone with a little network experience other than just plug-and-play. I will have to research all the setting terms references so I can interpret how to do something that seems to be simple like setting the mesh router to be an access point.

My hope had been that I might find someone interested in offering a helping hand to walk through some of the processes of setting up the mesh and then incorporating it into my existing internet connection. Even a few references to helpful videos or publications might have been nice. Sorry to whine, but I often encounter this when more elite groups feel it a bother that rank amateurs seek their help. Even if that weren't the case, it sure feels like it.

I do appreciate the responses received, but I think using this kind of community is a little over my head. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can use both systems but you need to do a little configuring to get it working properly together. 

having 2 router systems causes a double nat. 

if you're wanting to use both systems you have 2 options. 

1. put the netgears IP address into the Motorola's DMZ

2. put the netgear into access point mode. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please be sure to visit and post about any NH Mesh system support and information here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Thank you. 

@Chucksadoy wrote:

Can anyone let me know if I need to have only the new mesh system connected to my internet main router when I attempt to setup the new system? Or will my Motorola MG7550 dual channel main router allow setup on an available ethernet plug connection with my current network operating? Hope this isn't a dumb question, but it could save me steps to know with four other uses in our network. Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
Chucksadoy
Aspirant

Maybe I need to rephrase my question (remember a network newbie). I don't have a stand-alone modem. I have a Motorola MG7550 dual channel main router with one coaxial cable connector to my IP and four ethernet connectors for hardwiring network computers or they can connect wirelessly to the network.

My question is whether I can use my router/gateway as a access to the internet instead of a modem and how do I configure such?

PLEASE keep it simple! 🙂

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can use the steps I outlined. 

either put the netgears IP address into tyour modem's gateway DMZ (ask your isp for help with this as its their device)

Or you can put the netgear into access point mode. The manual goes over doing so. 

Message 5 of 7
Chucksadoy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reference to the manual. Unfortunately like all large manuals it assumes understanding of someone with a little network experience other than just plug-and-play. I will have to research all the setting terms references so I can interpret how to do something that seems to be simple like setting the mesh router to be an access point.

My hope had been that I might find someone interested in offering a helping hand to walk through some of the processes of setting up the mesh and then incorporating it into my existing internet connection. Even a few references to helpful videos or publications might have been nice. Sorry to whine, but I often encounter this when more elite groups feel it a bother that rank amateurs seek their help. Even if that weren't the case, it sure feels like it.

I do appreciate the responses received, but I think using this kind of community is a little over my head. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7