Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 Mesh WiFi 6 system - Connection to 5 GHz

sundaramesh
Follower

Nighthawk MR60 Mesh WiFi 6 system - Connection to 5 GHz

I have recently installed the Nighthawk MR60 Mesh WiFi 6 system with 2 Satellite at home. The home devices that operate on 2.4 GHz has no problem in identifying the network and connects. The issue I have with other latest devices like SmartPhones and Laptops which the capability to operate on g/n/ac/ax frequencies is not connecting to 5 GHz. It's always connected to 2.4 GHz. There is no way to force or change the connection 5 GHz. How do I fix this? If I disable the WiFI and enable near to the base router it connects to 5 GHz and later if I move away and come back the network range then is connects to only 2.4 GHz. I need help to get a better and persistent 5 GHz connection for my new devices. Please help. Thanks
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk MR60 Mesh WiFi 6 system - Connection to 5 GHz

Hello sundaramesh,

Ultimately, your devices will decide which band to connect to based off of the best strength/signal.

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Prasad_R
Aspirant

Thank you for your advice. First of all, I selected the option to bring in my own router on Google Fiber. After a few minutes, the fiber jack came live in blue, thereafter I installed the iOS app that walked me effortlessly through setup, the firmware automatically updated both the router and the connected satellites, and voila I am connected. Further, I renamed my SSID/PW and now the mesh is on. I shall observe how the mesh behaves in the next week and will post anything interesting, I may observe. Thanks to the Netgear app so well written that anyone without any prior knowledge will feel empowered. 

Message 3 of 4
rickggaribay
Initiate

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello sundaramesh,

Ultimately, your devices will decide which band to connect to based off of the best strength/signal.

Christian 

Sorry, but this not an acceptable answer. Since the router does not allow unique SSIDs for each band, there needs to be a way to "block" the device from connecting to an inferior 2.4 channel when I am running WiFi 6 with 1Gbps down. In this case, its for an XBOX and 40 to 60 Mbps is not going to cut it. Please provide a way to do this or provide customers the ability to define separate SSIDs. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7