Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 Port Forwarding Troubles

Ridere2
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60 Port Forwarding Troubles

All,

I recently purchased the MK63 AX1800 Mesh WiFi6 system. I am trying to set up port fowarding for a few ports to host a game server on  ports 7777 and 27015.

I have the ports forwarded to the internal IP address that I have set up for my computer with an address reservation in the LAN settings. I beleive everything should be set up correct, but I am failing to see the server. I also used an open port check site (https://canyouseeme.org/), which is unable to see the ports.

I'll include some pictures, so you can check my settings to see if I just hosed something up somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really hoping that I'm just overlooking something obvious.

Edit: looks like I couldn't embed the pictures for some reason. not sure why. I'll see if I can attach them, but if not, here's some Imgur links.

https://imgur.com/a/fNr9ooj

https://imgur.com/a/QmOq7zT

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 Port Forwarding Troubles

The ubiquitous standard questions:

Does your ISP assign a public routeable IP address to the router, or is there Carrier Grade NAT (RFC6598) or Private IP (RFC1918) involved?

Does the MR60 WAN/Internet connection status show the same public IP address like a "Google, what is my public IP address"?

Is the MR60 the one and only device connected to the CPE, and is this a plain modem, and not yet another NAT router in front of it?

Any firewall security service by your ISP on your Internet connection?

This would definitively prohibit accessing the port forwards.

What make/model is of CPE is the MR60 WAN/Internet port connected to?

Message 2 of 3
Ridere2
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR60 Port Forwarding Troubles

Thanks for the reply, let me see if I can answer some of these questions.

Does your ISP assign a public routeable IP address to the router, or is there Carrier Grade NAT (RFC6598) or Private IP (RFC1918) involved?

I don't believe either of those are the case. I have Xfinity/Comcast internet. I have port forwarded in the past on a different hardware/plan setup. For full disclosure, I upgraded to gigabit internet from xFinity and bought my own modem (Nighthawk CM1100) and this Nighthawk mesh network, all in between the time I last cared about port forwarding. So it could potentially be any of these three pieces, though (surprisingly) I'm hesitant to point blame at Comcast in this instance, given they weren't the cause of any port-forwarding issues in the past.

Does the MR60 WAN/Internet connection status show the same public IP address like a "Google, what is my public IP address"?

The IP address listed in the router's Internet Setup section is the same IP that shows up with a what's my ip google search, yes.

Is the MR60 the one and only device connected to the CPE, and is this a plain modem, and not yet another NAT router in front of it?

The only other device I have that sits between the router and the coax cable is the above-mentioned Netgear Nighthawk CM1100. It is a plain modem

Any firewall security service by your ISP on your Internet connection?

This would definitively prohibit accessing the port forwards.

Not to my knowledge. Certainly not anything I signed up/am paying for, and I'm inclined to believe comcast wouldn't offer a service for free.

What make/model is of CPE is the MR60 WAN/Internet port connected to?

Netgear Nighthawk CM1100

Port forwarding has never really been like rocket science for me, personally. I've done it on handfuls of routers over the years connected to handfuls of rented comcast modems. So sadly, I'm leaning towards hardware issue, but I'm really hoping it's just some bonehead thing I've overlooked.

Thanks again for the response, I feel this post was languishing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7