Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 Satellite Ethernet Strength

ivan42295
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60 Satellite Ethernet Strength

I have the Nighthawk MR60 which comes with the Router and a Satellite. In my new home, i had to set up the modem and Router in the basement and my satellite upstairs. 

I would like to have my work and gaming office upstairs, but for my gaming preferences, I always want to be on a Wired LAN connection directly with the Router. 

The Satellite has an ethernet port, but will it be able to support gaming needs vs what directly wired to the main Router? 

For reference, my internet provider offers ~200mbps internet. 

I just worry that I will experience poor quality if I am wired to the Satellite vs the main Router. Any thoughts or feedback? 

thank you community! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 Satellite Ethernet Strength

Why not put a wired ethernet connection in this area from the MR and install a ethernet Gb LAN switch were, then connect the MS and your gaming system to the LAN switch? 

Basements are not recommended placement locations for main wifi routers. Concrete and steel will cause problems with wifi singal coverage. 

Message 2 of 8
ivan42295
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. 

So I am not sure how that would work as i would still need to run a long ethernet cable to upstairs, no? 

So the MR and Modem are positioned in the basement and the MS is upstairs. If i get a switch, wouldn't it need to be connected to the MR (basement)? Then I would still need to run ethernet through the whole house up to the MS and gaming system. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you would need a ethernet wire from the MR to the switch at the remote location. 

You can try connecting your gaming devices to the MS while it's wireless connected to the MR and see how it goes. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 8
ivan42295
Aspirant

Yea I think i will try the Ethernet with the MS to start and see... It still gives off pretty strong connection speeds, but it wont be like the MR - I understand that.

the house is small. just under 1,300 sq. ft. The distance between MR and MS is 2 floors. MR is in basement, MS is 2nd floor of house. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you get a guess on distance in feet between the MR and MS? 

Let us know how it goes though...

Message 6 of 8
ivan42295
Aspirant

I would estimate no more than 30 feet from MR to MS based on their current positioning in the house. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Test it out and see how it goes. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7