Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk MR60: WIFI stability

Nighthawk MR60: WIFI stability

Just wondering if people are having issues with WIFI stability on their systems. I have numerous devices connected to WIFI, smart bulbs, switches and the like. I was hoping to improve coverage and stability by replacing my old apple airport express with a new mesh system.

But I am finding I am experiencing numberous disconnections, partilcualry on the 2.4Ghz network. I  have done a scan WIFI scan and selected the clearest channel. I am seeing many more disconnections under the new system than the one I replaced it with. I find I need to reboot the router often. 

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing. Also there was some talk of turning of 'ax', but I don't see that option on my router. Would turning off QoS help?

My Router: Nighthawk MR60 (1 Router, 2 Satelites)

Firmware Version V1.0.6.102_2.0.45

Message 1 of 7

Think I'll be looking to return this system. How much time since purchase do I have?

Message 2 of 7

I recall having lots of issues when I turned on QoS, but that's been my experience across almost every router I've had.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks, I've turned off QoS. Still have devices randomly dropping off the network, even though, in some cases they are right near the router or one of the satelites. I can honestly say, I was better off with the old system (apple airport express) with all its lack of coverage than I am with this netgear system. I just cannot rely on it. 

Message 4 of 7
pisacksen
Tutor

I'm having similar issues.  Reboot in the evening, all is perfect.  Wake up in the morning and the performance and lag is horriable.  I will go from 250Mb down to 100Mb down just overnight.  Same satellite/configuration.  I'm on the latest firmware.  Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Message 5 of 7

This router / WIFI is one of the worse systems I have had the misfortune to purchase. I was better off with the old apple airport extreme I replaced it with. Just terrible.

Message 6 of 7

Same here.  I bought the same system from Costco back in late March or early April.  Nothing but problems since day one.  It's a bigger house I just moved into and bought the Nighthawk system to give me more coverage than my previous system, a single Google wifi puck.  My speedtests have consistently been all over the place from 7Mbps to 236Mbps.  I get 200 from my ISP.  I first thought the problem was the ISP so I had their tech come out and spend an hour testing everything.  All the tests he ran directly from their modem came back at 235Mbps.  As soon as he connected the MR60 and hardwired his tester to it, it tested at 80Mbps.

Nothing has changed.  This morning I tested it and got 7Mbps.  Next test was 80Mbps. 

I've tried everything Netgear support has recommended and nothing has fixed it.  As a matter of fact, much of what they had me try made things much worse.  After the firmware downgrade they had me do, my Nighthawk phone app stopped being able to connect to the router.  I had to reboot everything 3 or 4 times before I could get that working again.  DL speedtests directly from the app or from the router's web interface are between 70 and 80Mbps. 

I never had any of these problems with the Google wifi puck.  I'm thinking of returning the Nighthawk Mr60 system and going back to my Google puck and just buying a couple of additional pucks to better cover the new house.  One puck alone won't do it. 

The downside to the Google system is that it doesn't have the configuration options the MR60 does but on the other hand, I just plug it in and it works....no issues. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7