Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router - Why do I need Internet to access router settings?

luxeo
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router - Why do I need Internet to access router settings?

Is it just me or am I crazy? Trying to access my gateway/router settings and status through a browser (typing gateway IP address to browser) requires that I need to be connected and have internet. Otherwise I can't reach it. That has never been a requirement for all my prior routers - you only need to connect to the wifi (or ethernet).

Was there a setting that I accidentally enabled??

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk MR60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router - Why do I need Internet to access router settings?

Hi luxeo, 

May you confirm that you're connect to the MR60's wifi network. Here's an article on how to log into your MR60 router.

https://kb.netgear.com/980/How-do-I-log-in-to-my-NETGEAR-home-router

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
luxeo
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR60 WiFi 6 Mesh Router - Why do I need Internet to access router settings?

I am indeed connected to the WiFi network on the 5Ghz frequency. However, there are times the router doesn't allow internet access to one of my laptops. Therefore I am forced to reboot the Nighthawk router (a whole other monster of a problem for this router). BUT it appears that I am forced to do so with another device that HAS internet access since my laptop with the issue can't reach the router/gateway.

Which is to my initial point, WHY does the router seem to need internet access just to access its settings? When trying to access the gateway via IP (eg: 192.168.1.1 typed into the browser), I get unresolved connection. No router in my 10 years of managing home networks require internet access! Hell I should be able to configure this router before it even connects to an ISP modem. Did I do something wrong with a setting?

Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi luxeo, 

Please send me a message with your email, phone, and serial number. I'll have our support team reach out for further assistance. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7