Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MS60 Mesh system not working after power outage (can't connect to modem, no nic lights)

lonestar777
Aspirant

Nighthawk MS60 Mesh system not working after power outage (can't connect to modem, no nic lights)

Hi everyone,

We had a power outage and internet outage last night.  Power and internet are back up now, and I confirmed it's working by bypassing my router and connecting a laptop directly to my modem with an ethernet cable.  My Nighthawk router is not working.  I have tried power cycling, different cables, and resetting.  The router turns on, the led on the front of the router slowly flashes white, and on the ethernet port on the back of the router I don't get any lights at all when connected to the modem.  My fear is that somehow the power outage fried the nic in the router, but I'm hoping someone can recommend some additional troubleshooting steps. 

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MS60 Mesh system not working after power outage (can't connect to modem, no nic lights

if you disconnect the router from the modem, then reboot it, and then connect your pc/laptop to the mr60, are you able to access it? 

Message 2 of 8
lonestar777
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MS60 Mesh system not working after power outage (can't connect to modem, no nic lights

Thanks for the quick response! I tried the below steps and couldn't connect to the router using an ethernet cable.  I tried opening a browser and going to 192.168.0.1 and couldn't connect.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

did you try 192.168.1.1 (default ip address)?

or 10.0.0.1? (backup ip address if its in a double nat)

Message 4 of 8
lonestar777
Aspirant

I wasn't sure if the default was 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, so I had tried both.  I also just now tried 10.0.0.1 and couldn't connect either.  I don't get any lights on the nic of my laptop or the router.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

You tried pushing and holding reset for 7-15 seconds? 

You can try recovering it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 8
lonestar777
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay.  It took me a long time to get a computer working that had both an ethernet port AND that I could get admin access to so I could enable tftp.  I finally got that all working, but I'm not able to push the firmware update.  I get a connection error.  Through the process the lights on the nic on my laptop light up, but I still haven't seen any lights on the ethernet or internet ports of the router light up.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

might not be a good sign. are you still within your warranty? 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process and check your warranty status.

Keep in mind that supports help only free for the first 90 days.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7