Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi dropping macbooks only, can't reconnect - windows not a problem

jc_cornwell
Initiate

Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi dropping macbooks only, can't reconnect - windows not a problem

Hi just got the nighthawk mr60 wifi mesh with a router and two satellites.  My windows machine never has a problem.  My 2 mac laptops are often dropped, then when I do reconnect to the modem, it says it can't connect to the internet.  Says it has an IP assigned but can't connect to internet.

Is this a mac thing or a netgear-mac-support thing??  I'll return the whole system if I can't get it working soon - though I'd rather just get it working.

Thanks for any tips, community!!

Message 1 of 36
jc_cornwell
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi dropping macbooks only, can't reconnect - windows not a problem

Just to add a little more detail... I was on my windows machine next to the missus using her mac.  All of a sudden she was dropped, I was not.  I "forgot" the network on her mac and reconnected with fresh password request.  It connects to modem, but then gives the "can't connect to internet error".  Haven't been able to connect since.  ALSO - exact same thing happens on another macbook my daughter uses - sometimes magically connects, sometimes will never connect, with same IP address error.

Message 2 of 36
araghava
Star

I'm seeing the exact same thing. I have 3 macbook pros and the all randomly drop the connection. It doesn't happen with any of my other devices including iPhone, Roku etc. However the MK63 has become basically uselesss because it badly affects my daughter who is online all the time for her college classes.

Message 3 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

I have the same issue with my Macbook Pro. I got this Mesh system two days ago. And two days in a row the issue has occurred where the router assigns an IP for my MacBook, but the next day the IP will not function. The exclamation point on MacBook wifi icon appears. The only solution is to reboot the router to get a functional IP. Let's see if it happens tomorrow.

Message 4 of 36
araghava
Star

I have filed a support ticket for this issue. It would be good if the others who are seeing this issue also do so.

Message 5 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

Will do
Message 6 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

I have also filed a support ticket for the issues in this thread.
Message 7 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

Here’s the response I got from support to this issue.
“In order to isolate the issue, please refer this link and reserve ip for these devices-https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Please let us know the results, so that we can determine the next action.”

Message 8 of 36
araghava
Star

I have disconnected the router for now because it was too disruptive for my daughter given she is online on zoom all day for her classes. If you can try what support suggests that would be great.

Message 9 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

Issues also happening now with one of my iPads. Tech-support is now asking me to downgrade the firmware to help with troubleshooting. It seems the mesh system is having trouble allocating appears when bouncing around from satellite to router and so forth. We will see.
Message 10 of 36
Noncreditgold26
Initiate

Same here, right now having the random disconects an all wireless devices. Also just did a factory reset and now cant actually remote manage the MR60. It indicates this product has already been registerd with another account even doe its brand new out of the box and is registerd in my account.

Message 11 of 36
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Noncreditgold26, 

Please send me a private message with your email address and serial number so that I can assist with your registration.

Regards,

Christian 

Message 12 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

Here's what tech support advised me to do to troubleshoot the bugs. Re-flash the firmware and downgrade to the previous version 1.0.3.86 for both the router and satellites. (Be sure to turn off automatic firmware updates.) Disable the AX setting in the wireless section.  Change channel of the Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) to number 11. Change channel in Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac) to number 161.

I am testing this and finding fewer connectivity issues. I suspect that it will be advised to change things back in reverse order after monitoring and testing in between each step for a few hours.

Message 13 of 36
araghava
Star

I'm working with tech support as well. He took dumps of logs from my router and also turned off AX. He'll check back on Sunday to see if we've still have disconnects. 

Message 14 of 36
neonscribe
Aspirant

I am having similar problems. I am getting regular disconnects and reconnects from my 2018 Macbook Pro 15 and my wife's 2020 Macbook Pro 13. I added DHCP reservations for nearly all my devices, including these, to avoid problems from IP address changes. I recently updated firmware to V1.0.4.96_2.0.41

Message 15 of 36
Sevo123
Apprentice

My office system is having the same issue!!! Why Netgear whyyyy do you do this to us! We pay for your items but you bring out crappy firmware! Fix this ASAP all my MacBooks won’t connect!!!
Message 16 of 36
neonscribe
Aspirant

I notice that I am having the same problem with iPads and iPhones, and Amazon Echo devices.

Message 17 of 36
bantaii
Aspirant

Same here. Mac Book Pro 13 2020 and iPhone 10xr randomly disconnect and reconnect. Very frustrating. FW 1.0.4.96.
Message 18 of 36
Ef13
Initiate

Same exact issue. NETGEAR get you crap together. Especially with online school happening 

@bantaii wrote:
Same here. Mac Book Pro 13 2020 and iPhone 10xr randomly disconnect and reconnect. Very frustrating. FW 1.0.4.96.

Message 19 of 36
araghava
Star

And now my Roku Tv is also randomly disconnecting. So it's not just my Macbooks any more. I'm returning the router.

Message 20 of 36
Poynter-2
Guide

After going back and forth with support, I am returning this system to Costco. Support told me there is no bug in the firmware. They even said 1 router and 2 satellites might be too much for my home and maybe there was interference. So I removed the satellites. But then there were dead spots. So it seems CNET.com's review is correct. I shouldn't have ignored them. This model is an unreliable mesh system. I was hoping for the price, it would be usable. But this is not the case. I am still getting the exclamation marks on the wifi icon on my macbook pro and ipads sometimes. Also the connection drops periodically when moving about the house. The chromebook was not allowed to connect many times, and we had to restart the router to get a connection. So I have purchased and successfully testing the Eero's 3-pack mesh system. It works like a dream for the same price as Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi at Costco. The Eero system always routes my devices to the best connection, and there have been zero dropped connections or connectivity issues. Great coverage in the house, garage, and yard. And the Eero user app is quick and robust. Netgear's is slow and glitchy.

Message 21 of 36
araghava
Star

Same here. I'm going to return the unit to Costco. I'm debating between the TP-LINK X60 DECO and Google Nest Wifi. Now I'll consider the Eero as well. Thanks.

Message 22 of 36
bantaii
Aspirant

There's a new FW update today. I'll report how it goes.
Message 23 of 36
araghava
Star

The release notes says "Fixes security issues."

Very helpful.

Message 24 of 36
hocalbee
Aspirant

Same issue here! My iPad 2019 drops wifi connectivity when moving from satellite to router or vice versa. It only resumes after disable/enable wifi in iPad. Other devices also experience this randomly including ThinkPad T490s, iPhone XR
Message 25 of 36
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7