Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi dropping macbooks only, can't reconnect - windows not a problem

btreu
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6 wifi dropping macbooks only, can't reconnect - windows not a problem

I have the same problem with my 2018 MacBook Pro and the Orbis. Not the same as the same product as the Nighthawk, I know, but this has been awful for a month or more.

It’s reached the point where I have done totally fresh installs/factory resets on everything.

No improvement.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 26 of 36
jaycamcat
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue. I can't believe this.

I've been countless hours on hold and talking to tech support multiple times.

They've tried everything: changing wireless channels, updating firmware, disabling wifi 6 (ax), nothing has worked.

This happens on my macbook, iphone, ipad. All these devices work just fine with all the other hundreds of wifi connections I've used.

Message 27 of 36
btreu
Initiate

So this sort of issue seems to exist across all netgear models, and it seems to be something that happens in combination with the way netgear products interact with the Mac OS and iOS, and what gets stored in PRAM and NVRAM.

Resetting both these in my devices helped/solved the issue and significantly improved network performance.

Discussions with Apple about what might be going on were responsive.
Message 28 of 36
jaycamcat
Aspirant

@btreu  thanks for that suggestion. I haven't heard of that one. I'm trying it out now.

Message 29 of 36
jaycamcat
Aspirant

@btreu it looks like resetting NVRAM and PRAM helped and made a very noticeable difference. But it wasn't perfect, I'd still notice it drop a few times in a week. But that's still better than dropping once every few minutes! 

I found a solution that seems to work even better than that.

I used the manufacturer warranty to get an exchange. That said, I wasted countless hours dealing with technical support.

In hindsight, the most ideal situation: buy it from a retailer / reseller with a generous return policy (NOT BEST BUY). Within that return window, make sure you open it up and confirm that it works. If it doesn't work, return it immediately to the retailer and get something else.

RMA horror story:

I ended up shipping back the router and satellite, and they literally shipped me back a router, but NO satellite. I had to call (let's say I made it clear was very VERY UNHAPPY about it), and they blamed it on their warehouse team (whatever, I don't care! Not my problem, just fix it!) Even worse, they asked me what was the serial number of the satellite I returned to them? WELL--I didn't know I had to record the serial number of the satellite. I had the shipping tracking # so I know it arrived. Lesson learned: save all your serial numbers.

You will waste a ton of time with customer service because they're always asking you for your case number (serial numbers, name, email, phone, all the information that they basically already have!), closing and opening new case numbers (even though it's a same case--which I suspect is to make their customer service metrics look better, as if they're actually solving more problems). You'll be on hold as they pass you from department to department. They'll give you a case number, and then ask you back to repeat the same case number, a few minutes later. Why?

As their customer service is in India, your phone call will also like drop a few times likely because of their bad VoIP implementation (irony for a networking company?)

Message 30 of 36
Kuffdam303
Aspirant

Hey 

So I got this router last week - all devices in my home are solid on the network except my new Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 laptop. It drops constantly - I will be on video calls and it just hangs or drops off the network then asks me to share my password from my iphone.

I have an IMAC and no issues, Iphone no issues - just this new Macbook Pro.

I'm going to send the Netgear router back and re-install the Linksys Velop which I was replacing... Pretty bummed as the speeds were great but I need this laptop as my work machine. Why hasn't Netgear fixed this - poor show...

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 31 of 36
LR2021
Aspirant

Same happening to my MAC!  

Message 32 of 36
LR2021
Aspirant

Same happening here.  My MAC looks connected with all bars full, yet, web pages say no internet.  I find turning wifi off and on again seems to work.

Message 33 of 36
pbredenberg
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue using 5GHz network with my MacBook Air 2020 M1. During video calls when connected to 5GHz, internet connection locks up constantly. I'm going to try a firmware update as I see one is available for my model.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 34 of 36
skander
Aspirant

Just adding one more to the queue with the same issues as all the others. Bought a RAX45 Nighthawk last week after our ISP provided router crapped out. I have a work PC and the router works fast and reliably. My spouse has a Mac for work- the router drops zoom calls regularly and is near unusable. Very disappointed and planning to return the product. Extremely frustrating

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 35 of 36
diogormendes
Follower

Having the same issue here. How annoying !! If I read this before buying 😞

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7