Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh MK62 Dropping Internet Connection

mrob
Guide

Nighthawk Mesh MK62 Dropping Internet Connection

I recently replaced my old router with this setup and the internet connection keeps dropping. Getting a wifi error "No Internet Connection." The wifi signal is strong but the internet connection randomly drops and doesn't come back until I reboot the router. Happens regardless of how close or far I am from the router and/or the satellite. Anyone lese experiencing this? Thanks

Message 1 of 141
plemans
Guru

what modem are you using?

What firmware is on your MK62 devices?

Usually when you get "no internet available" but your wireless is still connected, it is an issue between the router and the modem. 

Message 2 of 141
mrob
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually don't use a modem. I have fios internet and it's always been directly connected to the router. I had a Netgear AC1750 and recently swapped that out with the Nighthawk Mesh MK62 setup. Internet connection seems good but just randomly drops. Firmware V1.0.1.62

Message 3 of 141
plemans
Guru

Does it matter if the device was connected to the router or the satellite? Just trying to help figure out if its a backhaul issue (router----satellite) or if its communication with the fios box. 

Easy check on that it to shut off the satellite for a day or 2 and see if you still have the issue. 

Have you reset it since you updated it?  The newer AX orbi's have responded well after factory resets if they've had issues. 

Message 4 of 141
mrob
Guide

Thanks for your help Plemans. Shutting off the satellite didn't help but I did a factory reset and that seems to have helped somewhat. If I go outside (which is really only about 15 ft from the router) the internet connection will still drop, even with a very strong wifi signal. But seems to be working better indoors.

Message 5 of 141
plemans
Guru

@mrob wrote:

Thanks for your help Plemans. Shutting off the satellite didn't help but I did a factory reset and that seems to have helped somewhat. If I go outside (which is really only about 15 ft from the router) the internet connection will still drop, even with a very strong wifi signal. But seems to be working better indoors.

What is your exterior wall materials? foil lined insulation in the walls, metal siding, adobe, plaster lathe, can all block signals well. 

Message 6 of 141
mrob
Guide

Mostly a wall of glass sliding doors with maybe 10% stucco exterior. Not sure of the insulation, but it's mostly just glass.

Message 7 of 141
Jamma00785
Star

I am having his issue as well. It is not a modem issue as I am able to get online via wired connection to the router and the base is reporting full speeds via the built in speed test or the wired device. It appears to be happening with just wifi. So far I have verified it’s happening for both base and satellite and it’s happening for both wireless and wired back haul.
Message 8 of 141
mrob
Guide

My issue kept persisting so I unplugged the satellite again but for a longer period this time. It's been unplugged for a few days now and the wifi seems to be working good. No more dropped connections or internet errors, although I'm not using the satellite at this point.

Message 9 of 141
Cletus
Guide

I just purchased the MK62 and am having the same issues. Wired working fine, Wifi says connected no internet. Also would like to say all Android wifi devices working fine. Linux wifi working fine. Only Windows 10 laptop is failing on wifi periodically. Wired connection to the Windows 10 laptop working fine. Windows 10 up to date and Netgear mesh router up to date. My 10 year old Linksys worked just a week ago.

Message 10 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @mrob, @Jamma00785, & @Cletus

May you try disabling AX and/or traffic meter to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 11 of 141
Cletus
Guide

The traffic meter is off for me. And AX is now disabled. @Christian_R 

So I have more info here to post. What I have found is the Windows 10 laptop is getting an incorrect ip address. When the laptop gets this "connected no internet" msg, the ip address is not in my network. So per Netgear support I am to force this MAC Address to have a fixed IP Address. No status to report on how this is working just yet.

Message 12 of 141
schumaku
Guru

@Cletus wrote:

What I have found is the Windows 10 laptop is getting an incorrect ip address. When the laptop gets this "connected no internet" msg, the ip address is not in my network.

It's most likely not getting one - much more to does not receive an interface configuration from the DHCP server operating on the router. Windows 10 and many other decent OS fall-back to self-assigned Zeroconfig network addresses. from the 169.254.0.0/16 block. This indicates a connectivity issue between the computer and the router, or the computer with the satellite and the router.

@Cletus wrote:

So per Netgear support I am to force this MAC Address to have a fixed IP Address. No status to report on how this is working just yet.

This won't help, unless you want the router assign always the same IP address to the computer/device based on the MAC address. Needless to say, this requires a reliable connection beteen coputer and router.

Message 13 of 141
mrob
Guide

To add to this... I disconeected the satellite which I initially thought resolved the issue but apparemntly not. I get a Wi-Fi "Self-Assigned IP" error several times a day and either need to reboot the modem or turn the Wi-Fi off and back on to correct it. 

Message 14 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mrob - Please send me a private message with your contact info and serial number. I'd like for our support team to reach out to you. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 15 of 141
Cletus
Guide

Well it been about a week now with no issues. The laptop is now getting a fixed ip address based on the mac address. The symtoms have dissappeared so I consider this workaround an acceptable solution. 

Message 16 of 141
Jpbaas
Initiate

Hi, I have the same problem. Signal strenght is 100% and no signal loss. Meanwhile my sonos speaker is losing connection en stops playing for a few seconds. Our iphone 11 keeps om switching between the netgear wifi and 4g because of lost connection.
Message 17 of 141
teaston
Aspirant

My wife and I are having the same issue with our Windows 10 computers. How do you reserve an IP address based off of MAC address?

Thanks

Message 18 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello teaston, 

May you try disabling AX to see if there are any improvements. 

Christian 

Message 19 of 141
Formozo
Tutor

I’m having exactly the same issue. I’m really disappointed!! Hey guys, please do something or I will have to return the product. I’m going to write the same on Amazon.com.
Message 20 of 141
Formozo
Tutor

I’m doing exactly what you’ve suggested In the posts before. Disabling AX and setting fixed IPs for every device. Just to let you know, I‘m using only Apple products (iPhones, iPads and MacBooks) and my router is using the latest firmware. Let’s see what will happen. Thanks!
Message 21 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Formozo, 

Welcome to the community! Have you gotten a chance to get in contact with our support team? Newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 22 of 141
Jamma00785
Star

I would recommend going ahead and taking it back @Formozo   I have had a case open since 2/24 and still haven't heard anything.  I have taken mine back and purchased a single Asus ROG router and it has had a stable connection and covers further than the NightHawk mesh with the satellite.  

Message 23 of 141
teaston
Aspirant

Hi Christian_R

How do I disable AX? I followed previous instructions found online, but I do not see the Check Box when I login to routerlogin.net

Thanks,

Tim

Message 24 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi teaston, 

Please refer to page 55 of the user manual linked below. 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MK62/MK62_UM_EN.pdf

Christian 

Message 25 of 141
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7