Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh MK62 Dropping Internet Connection

MAC425
Tutor

Just got this system and mine is doing exact same thing with my iPhone and randomly dropping connection. Just disabled AX, but if a firmware update not released soon fixing this issue will be returning. Also having same issue with a work windows 10 computer where it cannot even see there network. Serious issues need to be fixed via firmware update ASAP.
Message 26 of 141
Jamma00785
Star

I would go ahead and return it.  Its been over 2 months and they still haven't released a firmware patch for this issue.  and the official answer from support is to turn off the AX on an AX router.  

SMH.

I have been extremely happy with my ASUS ROG router I purchased after I returned this one.  

Message 27 of 141
PaulieP
Aspirant

Had the same problem, power cycle your satellite. If that doesn't help 5ry to change your channels for your network using the url portal to input the channel and using the Nighthawk app to easily identify the best channels for your device. Also it can help to use a static IP for increased stability on the network, if you go this route you may want to use a secure VPN to supplement the security lost for going static.

Cheers,
PaulieP
Message 28 of 141
Jpbaas
Initiate

I tried the new firmware. And it didn't help. Still iphone connection problems. My chromestick was part of my network, but unable to stream to it.
Decided to return it.
Message 29 of 141
MAC425
Tutor

The current solution being to turn off the AX on a WiFi 6 router is absurd. I am going to give it until the last day of the Best Buy return policy for a new firmware update to fix the problem. If not, it’s being returned and going to a new brand. The fact that Netgear has known about this issue for 2+ months and still no fix is disappointing. I do get great speeds on the unit when it works so I am hoping a fix is in store shortly via Firmware update.
Message 30 of 141
MAC425
Tutor

Just an update - 1 problem fixed. I updated the drivers on old Windows 10 computer and it now can find the network and connect. I believe there is also a recently released driver you can download from Netgear’s website for this router. I did not need to use a static IP address.

I also currently have AX turned off. Now system is working great and I am getting fantastic speeds. However as WiFi 6 becomes more mainstream they must get a new firmware update to fix the random dropping of connections of mobile devices and allow for AX to be turned on. I will update again if there are any new problems and keep my eyes out for a new firmware update to fix the AX issue. Hope this helps someone who has same frustrating issue.
Message 31 of 141
Randyg08
Tutor

Why had net gear not fixed this? I have the newest firmware and still issues with devices being disconnected even though they have great signal strength. Turning off AX is a terrible work around.
Message 32 of 141
learsuaga
Initiate

Hi! I opted for the AX1800 MK63 (the 1 router and 2 satellites configuration) and I'm experiencing the same issues as the others. The system offers strong signal and verry high speeds but every 1 hour or 2, the internet keeps dropping. Make it very unreliable product. I disabled the AX option and now it appears to be working better but signal strength and internet speeds suffered massively with this change. I am really disappointed with this product and feel insulted for buying such a mediocre product. I wanted to invest in wifi 6 system to be feature proof and to fill the gaps of my home. But instead I feel like bought a big bag of problems. Turning off AX is not an acceptable solution since the AX functionality is the main selling aspect of this system. I will keep the system for a week to see if an update corrects the issue. If it's not fixed within a week the system is going back to the store.
Message 33 of 141
Jamma00785
Star

@learsuaga 

If you read the thread history,  this was first reported on 02/11 and almost 3 months later, we still have no resolution.  

I would recommend going ahead and taking it back.  As i replied back to another user- I have had a case open since 2/24 and still haven't heard anything.  I have taken mine back and purchased a single Asus ROG AX router and it has had a stable connection and covers further than the NightHawk mesh with the satellite.  Additionally its designed up to accept satelites to become a mesh network id you need to add them on.  

Message 34 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi learsuaga,

I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further assistance. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your contact info. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 35 of 141
araghava
Star

Same here. I bought the MK63 just 2 days back. This monring wifi wasn't working. Only ethernet connections were working. I have 2 kids both in college studying from home. I can't take the time to troubleshoot problems. 

Like most others I bought this system to future proof my home but I had to revert to my Orbi RK22. 

Looks like I'm going to have to return the MK63.

I find is stunning that Netgear released this system in such a buggy state.

Message 36 of 141
TigerPrince
Initiate

Same issue as described by other individuals.  Dropping connection, believe it is the 5 ghz connection.  Fast but unreliable/unstable.  I do not have anything unusual like foil in my insulation or 4 ft concrete walls.  Just simple walls that previous routers did not seem to have an issue with.  Very dissapointed.  Figured that Netgear would be on top of it.

All I want is a stable, reliable, fast connection!  

Called support 3-4 times.  Tried changing settings, channels, etc..., nothing different, still dropping connections.  

When will this issue be fixed???  Why is this taking so long to get this taken care off???

If 5 people are saying that they are having the same issue, something is not right.  

Message 37 of 141
wifiisnotfast
Initiate

downgraded to this from a google wifi mesh system. i am having the same issue as everyone else on this thread. I have the mk63 which is the 3 pack and after every few hours i have to reset one of the satellites. I do not want to disable AX, as it is the reason why i bought the device. Also i am over the return policy and now have a paper weight device that i paid alot of money for with no support from vendor.

Message 38 of 141
araghava
Star

I reset my MK63 couple of days back and installed the latest firmware. I was told by support that this was released around May 6th or 7rh. After this for the last 3 days the system has been stable. No issues with connectivity both wireless and wired. Fingers crossed.

Message 39 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

My mesh network drops out on my Samsung TV and my iPhone X pretty much every day. Noticeably, it will drop in the middle of streaming a movie or simply I notice Facebook pics are blank. I restart the router and modem and the issue resolved. But this is really aggravating after spending this much to update from AC1900. Any great resolutions here yet? It’s not a Windows 10 issue for me. The signal looks strong, but connectivity goes away randomly for all wifi connected devices.
Message 40 of 141
learsuaga
Initiate

I got tired of all the issues and returned it. I'll wait like a year until wifi 6 routers are cheaper and more polished.
Message 41 of 141
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Arvle, 

May you provide us with the current firmware version your router is on? 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 42 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

1.0.4.92_2.0.38
Message 43 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

This reply came from Netgear Support and appears to have solved the issue for me:

Case ID: 42814097 Thank you for choosing Netgear. My name is Surbhi. I am your support expert for today. I am glad that you chose Netgear and gave us a chance to assist you. Netgear strives to provide top-notch services to its customers in line with the best in the industry. Our customers are our top priority and like a family to us. In this situation you need to change the channel in ths router setting , so I am providing you the step for changing the channel follow those step so that you will get the solution for your issue. To change the wireless channel: 1-Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. 2-A login window opens. 3-Enter the user name and password. 4-The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. 4-The BASIC Home page displays. 5-Select Wireless. The Wireless Settings page displays. Under this wireless setting you get 2 network 2G & 5G , a) under wirless setting 2G , you have an option that is channel At right side you will get the auto option there click on auto and select number 11 b) under wirless setting 5G , you have same option There you need to select number 161 Once you complete this then click on apply buuton Apart of this you need to change fragmentation length and CTS/RTS values for this you need to follow processor 1- Open basic home page again 2- Select Advance option 3- Under that you will get some multi-options at the left side of the screen 4- select advance setting and under that select wireless setting 5- Under wireless setting you get same 2 G frequency and 5G frequency a) Wireless advance setting 2G Fragmentation length you need to change with number 2306 CTS/RTS you need to change is 2307 b ) Wireless advance setting 5G Fragmentation length- 2306 CTS/RTS- 2307 After you need to power cycle the complete router so that the setting will work out , you need to observe the speed and still you face same issue please contact us back. Also I am sharing KB article for that issue follow the step from there too. https://kb.netgear.com/23783/Improving-2-4Ghz-Wireless-Performance-by-Changing-Channel You can also contact Netgear phone support at 1-888-NETGEAR or 1-888-638-4327, so we can resolve your case at the soonest possible time. Please let us know the results so that we can determine the next action. ***Please be aware that your case will auto-close after 7 days of inactivity**** If you need any other further assistance, kindly visit our support web site www.support.netgear.com or community.netgear.com A notice will automatically be sent to your email address when I respond to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to that email. Instead, to add additional information to your case, click No to the question "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?" If you click YES, your case will be closed and a separate email containing a survey link will be sent so you can share with us your customer support experience. Please rate the support and service I provided you. It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day! Regards, NETGEAR Technical Support.
Message 44 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

My Samsung TV seems to be staying connected and buffering less. However, my Nighthawk App on iPhone X still has trouble staying connected. It warn “Issues Connecting” and gives option to try again. Nothing works until I tell my wifi to Forget this network and totally login fresh. Then the App sees the router and satellite again.
Message 45 of 141
Cletus
Guide

An update after 4 months of use. After the initial issue (windows 10 laptop getting invalid ip address for network) the router and satellite have been working fine. Just that one laptop had issues. Once I forced the laptop to a static ip address all has been well.

However, the other day the router had a red led and no device had any internet working. Netgear is now sending me a new router. At least that is happening, but at the moment I have my old linksys running openwrt just fine, but the satellite router is not connecting. Does anyone know what the default IP Address is of the satellite router so that I might manually configure it to my old linksys router?

Thanks in advance

Message 46 of 141
schumaku
Guru

Most consumer Mesh satellites are using proprietary controls for the mesh establishment. The Netgear Nighthawk Mesh system does use the WiFi EasyMesh standard. If your router would support WiFi EasyMesh, the satellite could establish a Mesh with your other router.

Neither proprietary Mesh not WiFi EasyMesh satellites can work as standalone extenders or access points.
Message 47 of 141
Spikemustang
Aspirant

I have been having the same issue as everyone else has been.  It seems to happen when you got from room to room, and the satetlitles pick up the connection.  One will show no internet connection through wifi, dropping it and reconnecting helps but if you go to another part of the house and the other satelillte picks it up, it drops again.  Have two people in the house and sometimes one will work fine and the other wont.  I check through the app on my phone and when the other is showing no internet connection, I can see it connected through the app with an ip address but it doesnt show an internet connection on the phone.  When I first got it we had no issues, then got the firmware update of V1.0.4.96_2.0.41 and all the sudden any wifi device will do this if its one that you can move from room to room.  Extremely disappointed in this and the proposed suggestions of turning off AX, as many mentioned what was the point in upgrading to these capabilities when you have to turn it off to make it work.  I have my devices already with static ips assigned and still get the same issue.  Unfortunate for me I threw away the box already as I have had many netgear routers over the years and never had as many issues as I have had with this one and the random no internet connection.  

Im thinking that since this issue has been going on now since February, it definitely does not sound like Netgear is likely to fix the problem.  Will be contacting Costco where I bought it through to see if I can return it without the box which they are usually good about.  This "New" mesh router has turned out to be complete garbage.  I should have kept my older model Orbi instead but was having a lot of issues with neighbors on the same channel, tried changing channels and since there was limited channel availability I thought this was a better way to go, but clearly not.  

Message 48 of 141
chrishigh
Aspirant

Same issue here AND ITS NOT JUST WIFI. Last time my phone’s connection dropped (WiFi 100% but no internet) I confirmed my hunch and turned on my tv which is connected to Ethernet after the router. It had no internet either, for 2 more minutes when it randomly came back. I’ve had the same high end modem for 5 years, this is absolutely a problem with this router.
Message 49 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I bought it as well as box open and seeing all these reports is very frustrating.

I have the same issues since 3 months -- always updating the firmware currently at 1.0.4.98

My system is as well connected straight to FIOS and was working before 2.5years fine without a reboot  (only reboots with power outage).

My question to Netgear -- what is your timeline to address this problem as it seems to be a problem on the router/router firmware and not by the users? Fixing this should be #1 priority since the initial release.

In addition to the other problems described I even have an intermediate state where I cannot use chromecast or airplay to remotely stream videos or music.  After a fresh reboot everything works just fine but as mentioned by me and many other users the problems start within 2h of usage. Sometimes being fine for 48h but this is the maximum time. 

Its NOT an option to turn off AX as this is the reason why everybody has bought this mesh system.

Thank you for the information and addressing the problem hopefully properly.

Dennis

Message 50 of 141
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7