Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh Problem

bvswan614
Tutor

Nighthawk Mesh Problem

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system MK63, AX1800. Not sure whey this doesn't appear in the pulldown window. 

Installed this system about a month ago. It work flawlessly up until a few days ago. We had no issues the first month. They all of a sudden, it lost the two satellites. I tried all the typical disconnecting the power and restarting the modem, main router and both satellites independently. I've tried syncing the systems. The did work briefly for a few hours after all the restarts but then lost the connection again. The lights on the two satellites are now amber. They were blue before this issue began. We have not moved the physical location since originally installed and they are well within range of the main router. 

I did update the firmware but after it started having problems. That did not seem to make any difference. 

I have noticed the MAC addresses of the two satellites are off my one digit. The last number on one and letter on the other do not match the unit to the MAC address listed on the nighthawk app. I can't seem to figure out how to change or delete and reconnect the satellites. 

How do we get this working again? 

Message 1 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Problem

Hello bvswan614,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 25
bvswan614
Tutor

Hi Christian,

Yea, I did that. I've had trouble via the app because in discussion mode if the Nighthawk app times out, it minimizes the discussion window and I can't get it back. I called and after being transfered three times in 25 minutes, I had couldn't wait any longer. I'll guess I can try again. 

Some updates. First, I want to say the mesh system worked great for the first month or so. No problems. Without any changes to the physical locations of modem, router and both satellites, all of a sudden both satellites stopped working. I tried all the normal turn off all the power for more than a minute, then sequentially turn modem, router and then both satellites back on. Modem and router worked fine. Both satellites have orange/amber light. 

The online tech support had me move one satellite to the same location as the router and connect via ethernet. That worked. The satellite had a blue light and worked fine. But as soon as I disconnect, it drops the connection and light turns orange/amber. And this is when they router and satellite is sitting 6 inches apart on a bookshelf. Distance is not the problem. 

The firmware was updated just after I noticed there was a problem. Currently the firmware is 1.0.6.102_2.0.45. I've tried syncing one of the satellites and also tried syncing the router and same satellite. Nothing works. 

I still don't understand why the MAC address on both satellites are different that what it says in the app. One satellite ends with 9D:89 but the app says the MAC address ends with 9D:8B. The other satellite is similar. Is that how it should be? There is no way to change the MAC address on app or through the 192.168 online login. 

What do I do? This should be a very easy fix. It shouldn't be this complicated. Makes me want to return this system. 

Message 3 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bvswan614, 

May you send me a private message with your email address and case number(s). I'd like to have your issue escalated to our support team.

Christian 

Message 4 of 25
saibarspeis
Initiate

I have the same issues explained here. My main router just lost the two sattelites (one ethernet backhaul and the other on wifi6) out of nothing. Restarted everything still doesn't work.

Netgear what is happening ?

Message 5 of 25
DuckAmuck
Aspirant

Similar problems.  Satellites occasionally lose sync randomly, then re-sync automatically after some minutes   No changes to network.  

Message 6 of 25
DuckAmuck
Aspirant

Since satellites keep losing sync, trying an experiment of using only one satellite.  I've not reset the configuration, so the Nighthawk app still thinks there are two satellites.  So far, so good. I'll update tomorrow.

Message 7 of 25
DuckAmuck
Aspirant

Experiment failure.  Single satellite lost sync this morning.  Only saving grace is that router does not lose network and has decent coverage.

Message 8 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@bvswan614 wrote:

I still don't understand why the MAC address on both satellites are different that what it says in the app. One satellite ends with 9D:89 but the app says the MAC address ends with 9D:8B. The other satellite is similar. Is that how it should be?

Yes. Each satellite has (at least) three MAC addesses - one for the device/LAN, one each for the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz radios. The router has at least four - one for the device/LAN, one for the WAN, one each for the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz radios.

Message 9 of 25
UTAS
Initiate

I had the exact same issue after less than a week of operation.  12/30/2020 to today 05Jan2021.  Without warning the satellites dropped out (and so did the wireless security cameras), and there was nothing I could do for the next five hours of horsing around.  These things simply did not want to come back.  So back to Costco they are going tomorrow.  Miserable.  Thank goodness I still have the old reliable Apple Time Capsule WiFi and backup.  Maybe I will try this again, but in my old age I'm not much a glutton for punishment.  Good luck everyone with this.

Message 10 of 25
barrja12
Initiate

Having similar problems, one satellite has lost connection, just an amber light, and nothing seems to work to gey it reconnected. Another purchase heading back to Costco, will never buy or ever recommend Netgear equipment

Message 11 of 25
Karren
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 MK63 Problem

Just bought this system when setting up in app asked to update firmware... now wifi not detected cannot go any further. What can we do? Have got satellites connecting. Not IT expert!  Do we restart the process or what? I renamed the same as present bt modem as suggested so wouldn't need to reconnect all devices . All was going well until update firmware have enabled local network. Tap try again & keep going round in loop getting nowhere fast

Help!!

Message 12 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 MK63 Problem

Hi Karren,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 13 of 25
Ochre
Aspirant

Are you still having this issue? I’m having the exact same issue, right down to the mismatching MAC addresses. Our system wasn’t refurbished either.
Message 14 of 25
bvswan614
Tutor

Yep. Just happened the other day. I'll unplug for an hour and replug back in. Most of the time that is working. 

Message 15 of 25
Shortsaleman
Aspirant

I am having the same issue that people have been having for years. My satellites keep disconnecting. I have seen all of the complaints but no solution. What can I do to resolve the issue?
Message 16 of 25
ADadsLife
Aspirant

Has anyone solved this Issue? I'd like to keep using it as I've had it longer than a year now, but it's gotten to the point where the satellite drop outs are really affecting the quality of our work and productivity at home. Going from an 80-90mbps connection to 3mbps can really drive a guy nuts.... ANY ideas would be much appreciated.
Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@ADadsLife wrote:
Has anyone solved this Issue? I'd like to keep using it as I've had it longer than a year now, but it's gotten to the point where the satellite drop outs are really affecting the quality of our work and productivity at home. Going from an 80-90mbps connection to 3mbps can really drive a guy nuts.... ANY ideas would be much appreciated.

Message 18 of 25
frank167
Initiate

I have had my system about a year and I am having this problem too. Firmware is up to date, always worked before. Satellites drop off turn Orange and inexplicably turn blue then turn back to Orange. They turn on and stay on when I put the satellites near the router, but then when I put them back in the 3 different levels of my home they turn Orange. I tried rebooting it, syncing it, unplugging it even changing locations where there’s no metal or electronics. Can’t be too far because it worked before fine for months. The only resolution I see is buy a different brand and trash this nighthawk mesh. I’m tired of messing with this defective system that everyone is complaining about “The same thing” this should not be a consumers problem. I don’t have to pay for tech help on other devices because none of them have problems.
Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@frank167 wrote:
I have had my system about a year and I am having this problem too. Firmware is up to date, always worked before. Satellites drop off turn Orange and inexplicably turn blue then turn back to Orange. They turn on and stay on when I put the satellites near the router, but then when I put them back in the 3 different levels of my home they turn Orange. I tried rebooting it, syncing it, unplugging it even changing locations where there’s no metal or electronics. Can’t be too far because it worked before fine for months. The only resolution I see is buy a different brand and trash this nighthawk mesh. I’m tired of messing with this defective system that everyone is complaining about “The same thing” this should not be a consumers problem. I don’t have to pay for tech help on other devices because none of them have problems.

Message 20 of 25
frank167
Initiate

Hey but seriously no one has time or patience for all of this troubleshooting. I spent hours trying everything. I understand your questions but here’s what the facts are. I live in a suburban neighborhood with the same neighbors for years and same Wi-Fi’s around me. It worked fine exactly like I had it for months. I checked for the most updated firmware, restarted, rebooted, unplugged, reset, moved the satellites to less crowded places and same thing. The signal just kept dropping and satellites 1 & 2 would randomly turn Orange. I spent hours on this. I give up on this product completely. It was working before and no more. I am not new to wifi, I been online since 96 and used many different wifi products in many different locations and in different countries. I spent over 400 dollars on this set up about a year ago and I should not have to deal with all of this. I went to xfinity and got their rental until I figure out what else I should get. I telework and I don’t want to worry about if my internet feels like working when I am scheduled to speak to a large audience. I’m not a kid playing video games. This product is defective and I never make the same mistake twice. All these people complaining about this same issue here. Where there is smoke, there is fire. And this product ladies and gentlemen is on fire. I lost hundreds of dollars. Have a nice day.
Message 21 of 25
saibarspeis
Initiate

Man I really feel your pain also. I had the same issues with the MK63 tripple modules Mesh system with a 1Gbps backhaul link to all three of them. My wired computers all work while the mesh nodes keep turning all kinds of colours and I could never keep them blue. It was draining my life in the house.

The speed was really good when they work but the stability and the simple fact that they don't use all three radios when backhaul is gigabit ethernet caused me to switch to a different system which is now installed since 5 months ago and forgotten about.

I have sold my MK63 mesh at a much lower price just to get rid of them. Found that Netgear support is unable to understand simple networking issues even when I gave them proper information (I worked in telecom myself for more than 15 years) and are just there as a psychological cusion for the furious people.

I currently hold only the mobile Netgear Router M2 and for the price it's fine but it took some time to get it to work properly also. I don't understand how a respectable company like netgear can miss the point so hard when it comes to UX and how networking should be a deploy-and-fforget solution and not a constant pain.

It's also not inline with the prices that netgear practices (which are higher than competition) in complete disregard with the poor stability and sea of complaints they get, while similar competitors at lower prices serve sound equipments, very stable and simple user experiences.

The MK63 took me hours to setup even when I work in telecom and I know exactly what I'm doing and how I want them to be setup (which is bridge mode). Still when setup as bridge (not as routers), and offload the routing workload to a proper router, the MK63 still could not hold stable connection more than 2 weeks.

I loved netgear and their innovation but it comes at prices that I for one am not wiling to pay. Time consuming, cost inefficient and unstable. Not to mention insufiicient for IoT (each MK63 node cannot hold more than 20 connected devices I counted).

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Users are encouraged to contact NG support then if users don't accept forum help:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck. 

Message 23 of 25
ItsHotdog
Aspirant

I actually found a way that worked for me. I clicked the sync button on the back of the satellite. Then go to the router and press the sync button on the router. If it doesn’t work unplug all of em and try to plug them in all around the same time lol and try the sync button thing again. It has always worked for me. Also logging into the nighthawk app seems to force the connection sometimes.
Message 24 of 25
Djw0046
Aspirant

I have had my mesh system for just under a year. 3 weeks ago it just lost internet. I reset the router, updated firmware, etc. Called customer service, at first they refused to help me because i didn't pay extra for customer service....... that's **bleep**ty business..... and then he finally helped me do a hard reset. Now 3 weeks later it had stopped again.
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7