Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun K. | Wednesday, May 27 - 11AM to 12PM PDT

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun K. - May 27 to June 2

Community Image.jpg

Update: The Nighthawk Mesh Q&A has been extended through Tuesday, June 2! Here is your chance to ask your Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System questions to Arun, so don't miss out!

Join us on Wednesday, May 27 from 11AM to 12PM PDT for a Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun Kulathamony. As Nighthawk Mesh quickly becomes a top choice for mesh WiFi, Arun will be on hand to help answer all of your questions about NETGEAR’s latest WiFi 6 Mesh System and to discuss all things Nighthawk Mesh.

To participate, please ask your questions in this discussion thread in advance of the Q&A or during the scheduled date and time. We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Watch our "What is Nighthawk Mesh?" Livestream:

Message 1 of 43
rrivers2
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun K. | Wednesday, May 27 - 11AM to 12PM PDT

Netgear Nighthawk Wifi 6 Mesh Range Extender EAX80

Hardware Version EAX80

Firmware Version V1.0.0.36_1.0.1 

I have purchased several of the Netgear Nighthawk Wifi 6 Mesh Range Extender and all units after the initial setup the 5G settings will return to default settings (Netgear-5G).  I did notify Netgear and so far they replaced one unit and I have not heard back on a fix.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Message 2 of 43
alfred0809
Aspirant

I highly recommend AC router in general, Nighthawk and Asus seem to be the go to standard.

Message 3 of 43
schumaku
Guru

What is the meaning of AMA? Can't locate this anywhere in the Nighthawk Mesh marketing, specs, manual ...

In my understanding, the key difference to the Netgear Orbi systems is that we're facing with the Nighthawk Mesh an industry standard WiFi EasyMesh system here. However, no word of this ... probably not certified, but why? 

Message 4 of 43
Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku wrote:

What is the meaning of AMA? Can't locate this anywhere in the Nighthawk Mesh marketing, specs, manual ...

In my understanding, the key difference to the Netgear Orbi systems is that we're facing with the Nighthawk Mesh an industry standard WiFi EasyMesh system here. However, no word of this ... probably not certified, but why? 

AMA (Ask Me Anything) is bascially a Q&A session. In this case, Product Manager of Nighthawk Mesh, Arun, will be tuning into this thread and answering questions. Your question on the difference between Orbi/Nighthawk Mesh and EasyMesh is actually a great question that he will be able to address during Wednesday's AMA/Q&A.

Message 5 of 43
Phil18
Tutor

Hey there, I'm currently running a rax120 and quite happy with that router. I also have in the upper floor a AP that is running the same ssid but by another manufacturer. I'm thinking of switching over to another netgear product and I'm very interested in Nighthawk mesh system. Is it possible to use all the advantages of the mesh system like roaming ethernet backhaul and also wireless backhaul with the rax120 as gateway or do I have to replace the rax120 by the mesh router?
Are you also planning to support VLAN tagging (wireless and lan interfaces) to seperate IoT devices from the rest of the network?
Thank you for taking the time for this AMA
Message 6 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hey folks,

This is Arun.

I'll be available here until noon to answer any questions you may have around the new Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System. 

Looking forward to seeing you here..

Message 7 of 43
Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Originally asked by: @hkstreetname

Can Nighthawk MK63 support two wired backhaul (ethernet backhaul) to connect to its satellites? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Can-Nighthawk-MK63-support-two-wired-backhaul...

Message 8 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku wrote:

Yes, Nighthawk Mesh also uses WiFi EasyMesh based standard for inter-AP communication. The WiFi EasyMesh standard is created by WFA for interoperability between different vendors following this standard.

Message 9 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Phil18 wrote:
Hey there, I'm currently running a rax120 and quite happy with that router. I also have in the upper floor a AP that is running the same ssid but by another manufacturer. I'm thinking of switching over to another netgear product and I'm very interested in Nighthawk mesh system. Is it possible to use all the advantages of the mesh system like roaming ethernet backhaul and also wireless backhaul with the rax120 as gateway or do I have to replace the rax120 by the mesh router?

If you are using two routers, you will have issues with double NATing. Roaming and handoff will happen seamlessly between the router and satellite. Ethernet backhaul is also supported using the ethernet port on the router and satellite. Since it's dual-band system, the WiFi backhaul is shared. 

@Phil18 wrote:

Are you also planning to support VLAN tagging (wireless and lan interfaces) to seperate IoT devices from the rest of the network?
Thank you for taking the time for this AMA

No problem. 🙂 We are evaluating new features and adding into the mesh system. Will keep everyone posted when available. 

Message 10 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dustin_V wrote:

Originally asked by: @hkstreetname

Can Nighthawk MK63 support two wired backhaul (ethernet backhaul) to connect to its satellites? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Can-Nighthawk-MK63-support-two-wired-backhaul...

Yes, @hkstreetname . It's possible to use a switch between the router and satellite. Hope you find this mesh system suitable for your needs.

Message 11 of 43
Fscscott
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun K. - May 27 to June 2

Can you discuss the differences between a Nighhawk setup and the Orbi setup?  Trying to understand which is the bext option for my house and my families use.  I have a single story 1500sq/ft house with some outdoor space we'd like coverage in.  Thanks.

Message 12 of 43
akong
Guide

I bought into this system thinking that it will have better signal strength and range (and thus better stability) than my single C3700 cable modem router.   I was very disappointed to continue to experience frequent intermitten disconnections with my mobile devices regardess of distance within my 2 story 2500 sq ft home.   Using only the modem router WIFI, I never have a disconnection issue other than weaker signals on the 2nd floor.  With the Mesh Wifi 6 router system (updated with the latest firmware), I have the satellite on the 2nd floor and the router wired to my modem with the modem's WIFI is turned off.   When using the cable modem router only, I have solid signal in my kitchen on the first floor.  Using the MR60, my Galaxy S9+ indicated a good link rate, but when it comes to connectivity on games/apps, they keep getting disconnections.  The knighthawk app is sometimes working with the router and not working at other times.  If anyone is looking to invest in a wifi 6 mesh system to future proof, you may want to consider twice.  With the modem router, configuation update is within 10 seconds.   With the wifi 6 mesh system, configuration update for even a small change (like a checkbox to enable some feature) takes more than a minute.

Message 13 of 43
Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Originally asked by @JHAnd:

I purchased two AX1800 MK63 sets from Costco. Can I use the second router as a satellite? Does it need to be set to bridge mode? How many satellites can I add in total? Can I hard wire one of the satellites or the second router to help boost signal across the house?

Original thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/AX1800-MK63-how-many-satellites-can-I-add/m-p...

Message 14 of 43
akong
Guide

Question 1 : This is related to this community thread (Q&A with Product Manager), why is the model not listed in the popup list to pick for the Nighthawk Mesh Wifi6 System (MR60, MS60)?   Isn't this the system we are wanting to discuss on this thread?

Question 2:  If AX is backward compatible, we do we still need to enable or disable AX feature on the router?

Question 3:  Where is there an option to disable beam forming if it is support to be good in extending range?

Question 4:  Are you aware of the intermitten disconnectivity issues reported by the communicty that is inherent in the MK6x system?  

Message 15 of 43
JHAnd
Aspirant

Arun.... any comments or answers to my questions from earlier.
Thx
Message 16 of 43
akong
Guide

Corrections to typos:

Question 1 : This is related to this community thread (Q&A with Product Manager), Why is the model not listed in the popup list to pick for the Nighthawk Mesh Wifi6 System (MR60, MS60)?   Isn't this one of the system we are wanting to discuss on this thread?

Question 2:  If AX is backward compatible, why do we still need to enable or disable AX feature on the router?

Question 3:  Why is there an option to disable beam forming if it is supposed to be beneficial to all wifi devices?

Question 4:  Are you aware of the intermitten disconnectivity issues reported by the community that is inherent in the MK6x system?   There are several YouTube videos indicating such issues.  Will this be addressed?   Some says it is due to double NATing, but why is this intermittent?  If it is double NATing issues, it should either work or not work but not intermittent, correct? 

Message 17 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Fscscott wrote:

Can you discuss the differences between a Nighhawk setup and the Orbi setup?  Trying to understand which is the bext option for my house and my families use.  I have a single story 1500sq/ft house with some outdoor space we'd like coverage in.  Thanks.

@Fscscott Nighthawk Mesh and Orbi WiFi 6 both support WiFi 6. The Nighthawk Mesh is a dual-band system while the Orbi WiFi 6 is a tri-band system.

For a small to medium home with a 100-300Mbps internet connectivity, you may find Nighthawk Mesh as a good option. For a larger house with gigabit internet connection the Orbi WiFi 6 RBK852 may be a better option since there is a 2.5G port for the WAN. Another thing to consider is number of wired devices. NIghthawk Mesh has 1 lan port each on the router and satellite while Orbi RBK852 has 4. Orbi is installed and managed using the Orbi app while Nighthawk Mesh is installed and managed by the Nighthawk app. In both the systems, you can add additional satellites to extend coverage as needed.

Message 18 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@akong 
@akong wrote:

I bought into this system thinking that it will have better signal strength and range (and thus better stability) than my single C3700 cable modem router.   I was very disappointed to continue to experience frequent intermitten disconnections with my mobile devices regardess of distance within my 2 story 2500 sq ft home.   Using only the modem router WIFI, I never have a disconnection issue other than weaker signals on the 2nd floor.  With the Mesh Wifi 6 router system (updated with the latest firmware), I have the satellite on the 2nd floor and the router wired to my modem with the modem's WIFI is turned off.   When using the cable modem router only, I have solid signal in my kitchen on the first floor.  Using the MR60, my Galaxy S9+ indicated a good link rate, but when it comes to connectivity on games/apps, they keep getting disconnections.  The knighthawk app is sometimes working with the router and not working at other times.  If anyone is looking to invest in a wifi 6 mesh system to future proof, you may want to consider twice.  With the modem router, configuation update is within 10 seconds.   With the wifi 6 mesh system, configuration update for even a small change (like a checkbox to enable some feature) takes more than a minute.

@akong , sorry to hear you are having problems with the Nighthawk Mesh system. Please reach out to Netgear support to create a case so we can help to understand your problems and try to fix them. 

Message 19 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dustin_V wrote:

Originally asked by @JHAnd:

I purchased two AX1800 MK63 sets from Costco. Can I use the second router as a satellite? Does it need to be set to bridge mode? How many satellites can I add in total? Can I hard wire one of the satellites or the second router to help boost signal across the house?

Original thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/AX1800-MK63-how-many-satellites-can-I-add/m-p...

@JHAnd , the router on MK63 cannot function as an additional satellite. You can use the satellites from the second kit to pair with the first kit using the sync/Add Satellite from the Nighthawk App using a wired or wireless connection. It's recommended to limit the number of satellites to 3 or less to get the best performance/coverage.

Message 20 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JHAnd wrote:
Arun.... any comments or answers to my questions from earlier.
Thx

@JHAnd  Please see my response below. Hope that helps. 

Message 21 of 43
arunkmony
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@akong wrote:

Question 1 : This is related to this community thread (Q&A with Product Manager), why is the model not listed in the popup list to pick for the Nighthawk Mesh Wifi6 System (MR60, MS60)?   Isn't this the system we are wanting to discuss on this thread?

@Dustin_V , kindly check this issue.

@akong wrote:

Question 2:  If AX is backward compatible, we do we still need to enable or disable AX feature on the router?

No, WiFi 6 or AX will automatically detect previous generation 11ac devices and connect and function normally. The checkbox can be left in its default ON position. Turning off is for debug purposes.

@akong wrote:

Question 3:  Where is there an option to disable beam forming if it is support to be good in extending range?

@akong , please refer to the User Manual for configuration options. It's listed on the UM page 74.

@akong wrote:

Question 4:  Are you aware of the intermitten disconnectivity issues reported by the communicty that is inherent in the MK6x system?  

Yes, we are actively looking into all issues faced by customers related to the Nighthawk Mesh system. As always we are trying to improve firmware so our customers can get the best experience with the product.

If anyone is facing an issue, please reach out to NETGEAR support team so that we can get it working for you. We are looking for volunteers who can work with our tech support and engineering team to debug disconnect issues faced by them. 

Message 22 of 43
AlexEsparza
Aspirant

@Dustin_V wrote:

Community Image.jpg

Update: The Nighthawk Mesh Q&A has been extended through Tuesday, June 2! Here is your chance to ask your Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System questions to Arun, so don't miss out!

Join us on Wednesday, May 27 from 11AM to 12PM PDT for a Nighthawk Mesh Q&A with Product Manager, Arun Kulathamony. As Nighthawk Mesh quickly becomes a top choice for mesh WiFi, Arun will be on hand to help answer all of your questions about NETGEAR’s latest WiFi 6 Mesh System and to discuss all things Nighthawk Mesh.

To participate, please ask your questions in this discussion thread in advance of the Q&A or during the scheduled date and time. We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Watch our "What is Nighthawk Mesh?" Livestream:

Message 23 of 43
Phil18
Tutor

So if I got you right I have to replace the rax120 with the nighthawk mesh router to get the full experience with nighthawk mesh system?
Message 24 of 43
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

MK62-100NAS - Netgear Nighthawk Wifi 6 Mesh AX1800

Hardware Version MR60 / MS60

Firmware Version MR60-V1.0.4.92_2.0.38 / MS60-V1.0.4.92_2.0.38

Recently purchased this system and it is working fairly well, but I have run into some issues that tech support has yet to answer for me.  Maybe you can help me.

1. The MS60 unit is currently connected via 5GHz backhaul.  This causes some bandwidth reductions 40-60% on the MS60 end.  I tested with a CAT5e cable and the MS60s speeds nearly matched the MR60 devices.  Is this to be expected if Ethernet backhaul is not used?
  2. The MS60 does not sync to the MR60 when it comes to the 2.4 GHz channels.  Currently the MR60 is assigned to Channel 11, but the MS60 is using Channel 8.  I see no way to set the channels on the MS60 end - Can this be added in the future?  [Or at least only choose from channels 1 - 6 - 11 on the 2.4 GHz end so there is no overlap/interference]. on 5GHz, the channels are sync'd to Channel 153, but this is probably because the 5G backhaul is in use.
  3. On occasion, I will lose connectivity on 5GHz devices connected to the MS60.  Not sure what the reason is, but I have tried to reset the network connections on these devices (laptop, Smart TV, and iPhone XR) and do not see any IP Address being issued, but I do see the successful DHCP request in the MR60 logs.  I was about to reboot everything last evening so I walked upstairs to the MR60 and my iPhone connected ... [hmm, must be the MS60, so I rebooted it and everything was working again --- could it be the MS60 is defective?]

Thanks for any help you can give me on these topics/questions.

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7