Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Router Can't Connect to Netflix, AppleTV or Prime

SteveBen
Guide

Nighthawk Mesh Router Can't Connect to Netflix, AppleTV or Prime

Netgear Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System, 3-Pack (MK63-100NAS)

I unfortunately this brand new (2021) wifi 6 Nighthawk router. I bought it because I have a four-story house with a TV and a Peloton on the top floor and TV's on the other three. My CenturyLink fiber optic works great, and on the 2nd and 3rd floors, I have no problem connecting to anything. The first and top floors are too far away from the CenturyLink modem/wifi router, so the signlal keeps having to buffer. I bought this $200 router with two satelites to fix this issue. 

I can connect my computers and phones to the Netgear router and they work fine. The Peloton on the fourth floor connects just fine to the Netgear router. While all four TV's show that the Netgear wifi is connected and there is internet, not one of them will load Netflix, AppleTV or Prime, although they load YouTube just fine. The TV's all connect to these apps just fine when they are on the CenturyLink connection, although it's too weak for two of the four floors. 

I have spent no less than 6 hours (honestly) with 10 or so Netgear technicians and not one of them can fix the issue. We've done everything from change all the DNS settings, to updating firmware to changing the CenturyLink modem to "bridge only mode". Netgear even sent me a brand new router which I tried to set up with them on the phone today. After another 1.5 hours, we are in exactly the same place. 

Netgear has to know about this issue because people are complaining on their on "Netgear Community"! Why don't they admit they don't know how to fix it and give people their money back? I'm trying to do just that and they are being a pain in the *ss. I will never buy another Netgear router. Never had this trouble with anyother brand before. 

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
SteveBen
Guide

SOLVED!! I went to Best Buy and got an eero 6 mesh router. Easiest setup ever. It took 15 minutes using the phone app. Every TV, computer, phone and BT speaker accessed the network immediately, and we've had zero problems! 

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what actual centurylink gateway is it? 

Did you try leaving the centurylink gateway in router mode and putting the netgear in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Over the 6 or so hours I worked with Netgear technicians (and the hour with the CenturyLink tech) I don't believe that was one of the things we tried. I would have no idea how to do what you suggest. Why do you think the Netgear tech didn't try that? Thanks. 

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

@SteveBen wrote:

Why do you think the Netgear tech didn't try that? Thanks. -I've got no idea why the techs do what they do or why ISP's force users to have one of their gateways. But its worth a shot. 

Message 4 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Thanks. I finally got Netgear to agree to refund my purchase. I'm moving on and will never buy another Netgear product. Appreciate your willingness to help though. Cheers. 

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

good luck on your next device!

I've had good luck with tplink and asus devices. 

Message 6 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Everything I've been reading is recommending Google wifi 6, mesh routers. Either the AC1200 or the Nest. What do you thing?

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

I tend to push triband versus dual band. when you're using a single/dual band device and using mesh, the satellites take a significan throughput hit. 

so if you're going to go with mesh, I'd look for a triband device. 

Message 8 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Thanks for the advice. You've been great! I'm on a bit of budget, ($250 that I would hate to push to $300) so any reccomendations on a specific TP-Link or Asus? I have a four story home, so do I still need satellites on the two furthest away floors? If you had my budget, what would you buy?

Thanks!

Steve

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

You'd be better to ask on one of those forums. This is for netgear devices. 

For that budget, i usually recommend the RBK43 thats been renewed. Makes it in the price range and is a solid system. 

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I've seen RBK50s for around $250-300 in ATT phone stores...

Message 11 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Not buying anything from Netgear ever again. Thanks though. 

Message 12 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

Can't give my hard earned money to Netgear after the experience I just went through. Thanks though. 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 14 of 16
SteveBen
Guide

SOLVED!! I went to Best Buy and got an eero 6 mesh router. Easiest setup ever. It took 15 minutes using the phone app. Every TV, computer, phone and BT speaker accessed the network immediately, and we've had zero problems! 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements