Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System With Tri-Band is here!

Dustin_V
Community Manager

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System With Tri-Band is here!

MK83-Home Office Environment.jpg

NETGEAR is excited to introduce the latest high-performance member of the Nighthawk Mesh System family, the Nighthawk MK83 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System. The Nighthawk MK83 pairs NETGEAR's award-winning and powerful mesh WiFi 6 along with Tri-band technology. The newest Nighthawk Mesh System is designed to blanket your entire home with coverage up to 6,750 sq ft. and 4X the connected capacity than WiFi 5. Ideal for the growing smart home of today and tomorrow, the Nighthawk Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System is perfect for more streaming, gaming, browsing, school, work, or play! 

The Nighthawk MK83 Tri-band Mesh System comes with two high-powered satellites to ensure maximum coverage throughout your home. With NETGEAR's Tri-band technology, the MK83 delivers blazing-fast speeds up to 3.2 Gbps, to every device, for lag-free gaming and smooth streaming without any interruptions. If additional coverage is needed, you can easily expand your Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System by adding more satellites for extended reach. 

Through the Nighthawk App, you are able to easily set up and manage your home's WiFi with features like Device Manager, Network Map, Speed Test, WiFi Settings, Guest WiFi and more! Additionally, you can protect your entire network and keep your private data safe from online threats with NETGEAR Armor.

To learn more about the Nighthawk Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System, CLICK HERE

Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

Hopefully theres a few users with experience on here for the MK83 system. I haven't seen many for the MK63 system and it leaves the community forum lacking for help 

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 2 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@plemans in fact an excellent observation, can't agree more!

Netgear marketing does certainly prefer to feed unboxing video makers, bloggers, and other yes-sayers with demo samples again. Active, knowledgeable, and sometimes critical community members don't get access to any demo units. This does leave the community backing for these consumer BU class devices very dry. Over the last few years, there were virtually no systems offered for Beta, and last year the consumer business unit beta system was completely abandoned. 

Who does not seed, can't earn our support here.

Regards

-Kurt

Message 3 of 20
Jroach
Luminary

based on what we know of the MK83....is there a feeling if the MK83 would be a better than an Orbi?  

I have an Orbi RBK50, some issues over the years, some of which might be user or device related but after the recent firmware upgrade I'm scratching my head wondering if I have a third child (constant care) or what I was hoping to have...an appliance.  

On paper it looks great compared to my RBK50; distance, speed, wifi 6.

Message 4 of 20
plemans
Guru

@Jroach Its a good question. The RBK system has the 1733mbps (4x4) backhaul versus the mk83 has a 1800mbps (3x3) backhaul. There's a little more front haul on the MK system (866mbps vs 1200mbps).

without anyone testing or a tested review of the system its tough to say if the $ is worth the upgrade or if its better to spring for a different system. 

I've used an Arris AX11000 mesh and it was significantly faster than my Orbi RBK system but its not a fair comparision (ax11000 vs AC3000)

Message 5 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Leaving the link speeds aside, @plemans explained things very good. Of course, the comparison with the AX11000 system is a little odd - I expect the MK83 system with three nodes on about the same street price as one AX11000 system very soon.

A big advantage of the Netgear Nighthawk Mesh systems is the fact that these are Wi-Fi Certified EasyMesh devices. Different from the proprietary Orbi, Orbi Pro, Orbi AX, and Orbi Pro AX systems (which all can't be mixed), the certification does allow the combination of other EasyMesh systems, from Netgear, or other vendors. This does make growing into the Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System more attractive and future proof.

At this stage unclear to me is the functionality and certification level. As of writing, the MK6x (MS60/MS60 combos) are certified to "Wi-Fi EasyMesh™ R1" level. Source: WFA109851 (MR60).pdf (January 4, 2021) This means interoperability of possible, but the troubleshooting and monitoring options coming with "Wi-Fi EasyMesh™ R2" are not available. Can't find any indications of the MK8x (MR80/MS80) ertification results yet. Just the generic "Wi-Fi EasyMesh" KB entry is by far not enough.

One would wish Netgear to 

• be more transparent ref. Wi-Fi Certification
  • be more informative ref. Wi-Fi EasyMesh Certification standards based Interoperability
  • offer kits where all modules can found be configured as router -or- satellite (the combination with one officially unchageable router plus one or two satellites is much to limiting - based on the fact that it's the identical hardware inside - offer the ability to convert a router to satellite mode
  • more informative ref. mixing wireless and wired backhaul
  • more informative ref. switch requirements if an existing or new switch would be used for a partial or complete wired backhaul
  • give knowledgeable and active community members the opportunity to get our hands on these systems in time so we can share experience and assist community members in a more effective way. 

There are all questions we have seen since the release of the MK6x, and will come back on the MK8x for sure. 

Why ever, I know I could talk to a concrete wall here, and nobody really cares.

Message 6 of 20
Acedivino11
Aspirant

I loved to read this blog. I am very glad to find this.Thanks for sharing your ideas. Book your 2/3/4Bhk in Ace Divino

Message 7 of 20
steveof2620
Aspirant

"Say goodbye to dead zones, dropped connections, and buffering", you have to be kidding.

I have the Netgrear Nighthawk MR60. Worse piece of kit I've ever purchased. Constant dropouts and issues, constantly having to reboot the router and devices. Incredibiliy frustrating. If you're thinking about purchasing this system think again.

I wish I retained the old apple airport WIFI system I once had. It was much more reliable than the nethawk system I now - unfortunately - have.

Message 8 of 20
carumuga
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.1.3.6_3.1.82

We had purchased the new MK80 at BestBuy and the router failed within couple of days. We did the factory reset and couldnt get the new MK80 working. We changed the router with another MK80 as we liked the coverage and the number of satilites it comes with.

Here is our setup:

Default Wireless - SomeName-5G (supports both 2.4 & 5GHz and uses WPA2)

Customize WiFi - SomeName (supports only 2.4GHz and uses WPA2)

Customize WiFi - SomeName-5G+ (supports only 5GHz and uses WPA3)

This setup works great and we are getting 400MBps download on all our 5G devices everywhere.

All our Apple devices are using SomeName-5G+ and it works great. However, I had noticed that iPhone 12 Pro Max freezes for WPA3 connection sometimes and I need to restart the WiFi on the iPhone. I am not seeing this issue with WPA2 connections.

Anyone seeing the freeze issue with WPA3 connections?

Message 9 of 20
res1983
Guide

For those looking for how well this setup works, I don't think that that you will disappointed. I have been very pleased with the performance and reliability. I have an older home with steel siding exterior and dense packed walls within the home interior so I have placed one unit on each of my 3 levels of my house and have found that I don't have any dead zones within my house. (my house is NOT open floor plan) The unit I have on the main floor is placed in a window to feed my backyard and garage with limited issues there. The only issue I have with my garage, about 100ft from the home, is I only get about 750mb down and 425mb up when I am all the way in the back of my garage. (Pay for 1024 down and 500 up full fiber). That is my only issue have seen while using the units. I am also able to run them all as wired backhaul from the router to each satellite unit. 

Our network has more than 70 items connected to it at any given time with zero issues. If we have family come and visit that number might increase to 80+ items on the network. I have seen the performance under a load of gamers both WiFi and wired on my network as well. (2 xbox wired and 1 PS4 wired. A few of my niece and nephews streaming same time). I also run lot of Smart devices in our home with no issues there. Personally, I feel like my home has about the worst of the worst conditions when it comes to materials built, floor plan, and interior wall insulation for what I want and expect out of my units. I can stand on my back deck and pick up about 10 different SSIDs in when I use my analyzer and still don't run into issues. 

Message 10 of 20
Silly_PuTTY
Aspirant

I set this up a few days ago. I'm probably going to factory reset and start over. The customize wifi feature is weird. You think it would let you take your existing 2.4 and 5G SSID that is one SSID and split it into two, but instead it creates two more NEW SSID for a total of 4! (2 each 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

It's locked up on me once, and I had to toggle WiFi on my laptop and phone a few times, but it hasn't happned in awhile now. I'll probably keep it and hope (haha) for some better firmware down the line. Throughput has been great with WiFI 6 clients. I got the 3pk (all I could find) but honestly in my 2700Sqft house a 2 unit would have been fine.

Message 11 of 20
Surffa
Apprentice

Is this thing really a tri-band device?

In the device specs the router is marked as tri-band, but satellites as "Simultaneous dual-band".

Assuming the specs would be correct, what would it mean? It would definitely affect the client speeds if a satellite is dual-band only? Additionally, no daisy-chaining at all, or with a miserable throughput through the client channels? 

Message 12 of 20
plemans
Guru

It is a triband. 

But the 3rd band is dedicated for the wireless backhaul between the router and the satellite. This is why its simutaneous dual band. 

Most dual band mesh systems have to use the same radio that communicates with your devices to communicate router---satellites. And it causes a reduction in speed and an increased latency. The tribands have the dedicated backhaul that prevents that automatic drop in speed 

Message 13 of 20
Surffa
Apprentice

Thanks. That's obvious and not answering the question.

It doesn't make sense to mention tri-band in the specs of a router and then dual-band on the satellite specs. So. The question remains. Are the satellite WiFi band specs same or different to the router?
According to specs not, but that's also sort of nonsense if router is tri-band and satellites not, but would still be nice to get a confirmation.
Message 14 of 20
plemans
Guru

Both are triband. 

1x 5ghz  band---> wireless backhaul for connection between the router and the satellites. both the router and the satellite have to have it. 

2 bands----> 2.4ghz/5ghz--->for the fronthaul or wireless connection devices can use. 

Message 15 of 20
Surffa
Apprentice

I assume someone has copied the spec sheet from MS60 to product page of MK83. In fact looking the standalone MK80 it actually is listed as tri-band and not dual band as the kit page suggests.

Problem with this spec hassle actually is that if other pages in fact explicitly specify tri-band whereas this is now dual-band, I could easily imagine a budget approach for sharing 5GHz band on the satellites and reduce the load on the router in star topology by having a dedicated backhaul there. Would likely work and marketing department could still ride with tri-band specs.

But all right, looks like the MK80 specs within MK83 page are then simply wrong. Good, this looks kind of a set that could work out for me. Handicapped or non existing daisy chaining would have been a deal breaker as the layout and socket locations in house are not quite optimal.

Btw. Can someone guess or explain the branding and segmenting logic behind these Orbi/Nighthawk naming schemes? Lower end Orbis look quite a lot like these Nighthawks. Is there any real difference except EasyMesh and separate control apps?

Message 16 of 20
plemans
Guru

You literally nailed it. 

the nighthawk series works with the easymesh standard/alliance. 

Versus orbi is its own proprietary firmware for mesh. 

Message 17 of 20
spapanik
Aspirant

Total waste of money. DO NOT BUY, even if it's for free. I wish I have seen that before I wasted my money in this piece of garbage.

Message 18 of 20
Toom325
Aspirant

PITSANU BOONSAKUL : Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System With Tri-Band is here!

Thailand
PITSANU BOONSAKUL
boonsakulpitsanu@gmail.com
Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 19 of 20
nacykellyjelly
Aspirant

Re: PITSANU BOONSAKUL : Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System With Tri-Band is here!

Taco Bell customer experience survey needs a valid taco bell receipt to enter in TellTheBell survey. As soon as they open www.tellthebell.com they will be asked to answer some questions to rate the customer feedback.

Model: RNNVR02L-1000S|ReadyNAS Surveillance License- Two camera
Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements