Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6, how to disable 5ghz

Yesimkidding
Aspirant

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6, how to disable 5ghz

I am trying to connect a Traeger Silverton 810 smoker, and it requires 2.4ghz.  During the pairing process, it must temporarily connect to my phone... which is connecting to my router via 5ghz.  How can I temporarily disable 5ghz on the router so that my phone is connected to my router at 2.4ghz during the pairing process?

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6, how to disable 5ghz

@Yesimkidding wrote:

IDuring the pairing process, it must temporarily connect to my phone... which is connecting to my router via 5ghz.

Good observation. Correct is that the phone does temporarily find a hidden SSID and connect to the device, where it will push the network settings (SSID, wireless key, ...) to the device. At no point, it's required that the phone is connected to the 2.4 GHz radio on your Nighthawk Mesh network - the data is the same for the 2.4 and the 5 GHz.

Complain with the crApp maker to remove the nonsense test that the phone "must" be connected to a "2.4 GHz network", at least they should add a "continue" button at this step. Mesh systems connect to the same network using the same SSID, regardless if the system is using 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz, or 60 GHz radio connection - they can just go and read the current connected SSID and security key regardless...

Provide them a link to this thread - otherwise, this nonsense never ends.

Message 2 of 7
cbell4444
Star

@schumaku wrote:

At no point, it's required that the phone is connected to the 2.4 GHz radio on your Nighthawk Mesh network - the data is the same for the 2.4 and the 5 GHz.

Complain with the crApp maker to remove the nonsense test that the phone "must" be connected to a "2.4 GHz network", at least they should add a "continue" button at this step. 

Hey @schumaku , lighten up already, ok? The OP just wants some help. This stuff your posting in several 'disable 5GHz' forums isn't helpful. Worse, it's plain wrong. I know it's 2021 and it shouldn't be required. And yes, the device vendor could write better software. Nevertheless, based on the hundreds of posts about this problem across several product lines, the primary responsibility for fixing this belongs to NG. It's their job to be compatible with multiple vendors.

Happy to discuss this more here. No need to muck up the OP's thread with posts that won't help him.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
Yesimkidding
Aspirant

Thank you both for your input. I think that both Netgear, and Traeger should resolve this technical issue. None of my other devices were this impossible to connect to my dual band router, so I think Traeger needs to revise the manner in which the pairing happens.
Message 4 of 7
retromad
Star

See the post here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Nighthawk-mesh-MR60-devices-that-require-2-4-...

you can use foil to kill your 5ghz network mode.  It aint pretty - but it does work...

Message 5 of 7
AmyMiles
Aspirant

Sometime it happens when you try to connect the smoker with wifi or any other internet device. The latest and updatted versions have already sorted out this issue for better user experience. I wish you find a better solution.

Message 6 of 7
JimShane
Guide

This happens to me all the time, and it's frustrating. It happens when I want to install a new smart switch (all if them are at 2.4). It happens with our chromecast devices.

My teenagers discovered that often there is no cast icon when in the room where a TV is. But, if the leave the room and cast fro. Another room, the icon appears (then they can come back into the roo. The tv is in)

I have tried this dozens of times over the last year, and it works.

When I want to install a new smart switch, I ho outside our stove house. Then I hit the wifi button on my android phone to disconnect, then I press it again to reconnect. Even though I can't tell what speed it connects at, it seems that it must connect at 2.4 outside our house, in the interior stairwells, and in my bedroom.

I agree it shouldn't work this way, but it does. Just today I installed a chromecast in our attic tv, and it works just this way.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7