Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 Router MR60 losing connection to 2.4 devices

Another call with netgear and another correction. Didn’t help. This thing sucks. I bought the Orbi and so far no issues. Waiting a week before I dump it back to Costco with a review to remove it from their shelves.
Message 51 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

I downloaded a WiFi anakyzer to my tablet. It found all of the WiFi signals in the area. When I expanded my signal, it showed the 4 access points (and also the hidden backchannel). Here is the interesting part. While watching the screen, my access points disapperaed! It took about 10 seconds, but then they reappeared. I watched the screen for about 10 minutes and managed to catch this happening again.

Diappearing access points signafy a definate flaw in the hardware ot software.

Message 52 of 237
SeanQ
Star

The silence by Netgear support in this thread is deafening. I find it hard to believe anyone using this product in its current state is running it without issue. How it made it onto store shelves in this state is a complete mystery.
Message 53 of 237
Aallawi
Initiate

It would be good of Netgear monitored these threads. Anyway, they just released an update which says it fixed exactly this issue: https://kb.netgear.com/000061928/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-96. I have tried it and so far so good. @Christian_R do you have more details on what was fixed?

Message 54 of 237
SeanQ
Star

It said it fixes 2.4 GHz disconnection issues. Does it fix the issue with the satellites constantly going offline though?
Message 55 of 237

Thank you, Aallawi, this is good news. I received my MK63 yesterday from Costco and hope this solves the issue.

I plan to run a CAT6 wire to it directly to a gigabit Lan port on my new Verizon FIOS G3100 Home Router. I just got the G3100 and it is in the basement and it wouldnt be an easy task to move it upstairs as I have 2 Netgear switches driving all my televisions, printers and NAS. The G3100 is a WIFI6 router and while the signal upstairs is much improved it is still weak upstairs and the family still moans about it.
I plan to disable the WIRELESS on the Verizon FIOS G3100, router and use the MK63 (1 router + 2 satellites) wireless capability. Does that sound right to all you experts?

Good luck to us all, thanks.

Please post your results, I plan to
Message 56 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

Yesterday morning I installed the new firmware.

Last night I was on the WiFi and noticed some problems. I started the Netgear Nighthawk Android app and was looking at some of the router configurations. In the middle of the session, the Nighthawk app said, no outer found. After about 7-8 seconds, it discovered the MR60 router.

I immediately started my WiFi analyzer app and discovered that there were only 3 access points. In a few seconds, the 4th one appeared.

The REAL problems is that the MR60 stops broadcasting for 5-10 seconds on ALL bands. This is what is causing the frequent disconnects.

During this time, my tablet was connected with the 5ghz band, not the 2.4ghz. The new firmware had zero impact.

Message 57 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

One other piece of information, from the same device in the same spot, the WiFi speed was fluctuating between 357 to 53.

Message 58 of 237

Very upsetting!

Do you have a wireless router from your ISP?, did you disable the wireless in it?
Message 59 of 237
SeanQ
Star

Yeah, that’s what was happening to mine. They’d appear and then suddenly disappear. There’s a graphical representation of the units in the app. Sometimes the satellites would should under the main one in the hierarchy and sometimes right along side of it. I reset them all and restarted the configuration process many times thinking that I was doing something wrong before I realized that it must be the units themselves.
Message 60 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

@AwakenedGiant wrote:
Very upsetting!

Do you have a wireless router from your ISP?, did you disable the wireless in it?

No equipment from the cable company. I own my cable modem and router.

Message 61 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

@SeanQ wrote:
Yeah, that’s what was happening to mine. They’d appear and then suddenly disappear. There’s a graphical representation of the units in the app. Sometimes the satellites would should under the main one in the hierarchy and sometimes right along side of it. I reset them all and restarted the configuration process many times thinking that I was doing something wrong before I realized that it must be the units themselves.

If you are inside the 1 year hardware warrenty, ask for a replacement.  I did. Smiley Wink

Message 62 of 237

So you seem to be very experienced NetworkGuy.
Should I turn the wireless off on my FIOS G3100 WIFI6 wireless router so it doesn't interfere with the Nighthawk.
Message 63 of 237
SeanQ
Star

I would have, but after seeing this thread I didn’t see what the sense would be. I should, however, get a replacement on the AX12 I bought last year that died before it’s too late.
Message 64 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

@AwakenedGiant wrote:
So you seem to be very experienced NetworkGuy.
Should I turn the wireless off on my FIOS G3100 WIFI6 wireless router so it doesn't interfere with the Nighthawk.

If you are not using it, you should turn it off.

The question is why do you have two routers?

Message 65 of 237

The FIOS G3100 wireless router is in the basement and the WIFI signal is weak upstairs. That router is connected to 2 Netgear switches driving all TVs, printers and NAS.

I planned to use this MK63 nighthawk system for wireless upstairs providing whole house coverage and disable the wireless on the G3100 so it does not interfere.

Does this make sense?

Message 66 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

@AwakenedGiant wrote:
The FIOS G3100 wireless router is in the basement and the WIFI signal is weak upstairs. That router is connected to 2 Netgear switches driving all TVs, printers and NAS.

I planned to use this MK63 nighthawk system for wireless upstairs providing whole house coverage and disable the wireless on the G3100 so it does not interfere.

Does this make sense?

You can use 2 routers on the same network, but it usually done to support seperate sub-nets.It also takes special configuration of the second router. (DHCP off, single SSID, etc.)

In your case, I think you would be better with a WiFi extender to boost the signal upstairs. Take a look at this: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-home-wifi-extender/

Since it is also made by FIOS, you know it will work together without a lot of special configuration changes.

Message 67 of 237

I had planned on disabling DHCP and using the same SSID so all of my wireless devices recognized it. And letting the Netgear Nighthawk MK63 mesh system handle all wireless. Is this not possible?

I live in a split level with 4 levels, wireless has always been spotty. I had an AP on a different channel but same SSID and it didn't help much at all, but it was a Belkin router and I have seen questionable reviews on it.
Message 68 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

@AwakenedGiant wrote:
I had planned on disabling DHCP and using the same SSID so all of my wireless devices recognized it. And letting the Netgear Nighthawk MK63 mesh system handle all wireless. Is this not possible?

I live in a split level with 4 levels, wireless has always been spotty. I had an AP on a different channel but same SSID and it didn't help much at all, but it was a Belkin router and I have seen questionable reviews on it.

Sure, but why not just replace the FIOS router with the MK63

Message 69 of 237

Because the FIOS router is used for FIOS TV Data. Without it I lose FIOS TV functionality. I hope this is beginning to make sense to you. I am looking for confirmation of my thinking to blanket the house in wifi. My wife is disabled and we use lots of smart devices blinds, locks, lights, Alexa, etc.

Thanks for working this out with me
Message 70 of 237
DAFisher
Guide

Using Nighthawk mesh MR60. After latest firmware update garage opener cant hook up to it. Anyone  else having  issues? Thank you

Message 71 of 237

Was the firmware update successful?
Did you reboot your modem and then your router?
Message 72 of 237
DAFisher
Guide

Thank you for responding. Yes it was successful. Everything else connects. I've also restarted modem and router. Uninstalled myq app, cleared wi fi settings, talked to support at netgear and Chamberlain. I don't know what else to try.
Message 73 of 237

I wonder if its possible that even though you r&r'd the myq app that the settings are saved someplace on your device? I would think that what you have done so far would have solved your problem having read this:

https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/How-to-clear-the-Wi-Fi-settings-on-MyQ-Wi-Fi-product

Did the door have a static IP address that might have been deleted by the firmware update? I read someplace where devices are not 5g but they connect to 5g and don't function, but I don't know where I saw that, Ill retrace my steps and post a link if I find it.

Did the type of security encryption change?, and if it did does the device support it?

This type of problem bugs me
Message 74 of 237

By the way, have you unplugged the door controller to get it to reset itself?
Message 75 of 237
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7