Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 Router MR60 losing connection to 2.4 devices

iamtherealclr
Aspirant

I have alo been able to confirm that the essence of the problem is that DHCP leases do not renew properly.  This causes the device to drop.  I am going to return this POS today

Message 126 of 237
bigmark173
Tutor

I'm not sure what bugs me more:

1) The fact that this is a KNOWN issue and they won't release a firmware update to fix it.

2) They want to charge me a Tech Fee ($50) to trouble shoot.

3) I can't return it since I am outside their timeframe. I JUST bought this POS a few months ago!

SHAMEFUL customer service!

Message 127 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The last response that i have from "support" is that they are working on a new firmware. However he was unable to give dates and regarding telnet access.. "its only for engineering...".
But telnet is there... 

Message 128 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

Update:

I have had an escalated case with level 2 for almost a month. Just last week, I received a copy of Beta firmware. (Just more user testing.)

On some of my devices I am receing a message that say "Slow Internet connection detected". It has not been long enough to see if this fixed the disconnect issue. (Factory resets seems to clear the problem for about a week.)

My new problem (which is being totaly igored by support) is that there is no 5Ghz WiFi signal from the satellie. I have had this problem before the beta firmware and it has not been addressed.

https://imgur.com/3OxwIyV

I just filed a formal complaint with the BBS requesting a total refund (including RMA shipping) that I have paid for this piece of junk. I urge everyone to do the same.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/profile/internet-service/netgear-inc-1216-210357

Message 129 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In my case, i cannot sent this device back because im in Argentina and i buyed them through a store that buys this in Amazon...
I would like to receive my money again but i cant, so i must wait until they decide to do this thing right or wait for DD-WRT or OPEN-WRT...

Anyway, can you share this beta firmware???

Message 130 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So, just after i posted the previous message i saw a new firmware for this devices:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062170/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-102

I will try this one.. however i don´t know why the tech support didnt mention this...

Message 131 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well...
In order to narrow all the possibles annoyances im only using the router, not the satellite.
So i updated the router with the latest firmware... after this i did a factory defaults to avoid any possible configuration conflic from the previous firmware.

Im using default wireless SSD and default wireless password... everything by default and the device is still experiencing wifi drops!

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, Thursday, Aug 06,2020 22:59:48

So.. wrote another email to my current suport case, uploaded new logs.. and put this thing on the box... 

Aaa.. btw.. in this new firmware they added this "armor" feature... Really guys??

Message 132 of 237
Dangerdavis
Aspirant

I had the same problem with my MR60 router and tried the customer service route. They opened over eight cases for the same problem and sent me an RMA only for the second device to do the same thing because their Firmware is defective. I literally filed my lawsuit today after spending over eight hours of my life dealing with Netgears's awful customer service. They finally stopped trying to help me and just kept hanging up on me. So lawsuit is filed and the court date is set for January 11th. 

Message 133 of 237
Ape_Factory
Tutor

Like everyone else, experiencing disconnects across multiple Apple devices with the disconnects becoming worse with every new firmware upgrade.  And like many, I also work from home and am dependent on my internet connection.

I will say if I'm hard wired, no issues.  It's mostly the mobile devices, iPhones and Macbook Pro's.  I'm currently running 100ft. of hardwire ethernet cable to my upstairs office to get a reliable, fast connection.  

I'd suggest contacting your credit card company and filing a dispute in addition to the othe remedies mentioned here.  I really think it comes down to a class action lawsuit as well as tracking down the higher up's within the company and harassing them into action to fix these issues.  There are way overpaid f*cktwats sitting on their asses raking in cash at our expense.  Hit up social media, any and all platforms and lambast this company.  Hit them where it hurts.

Message 134 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

UPDATE:

I have been using the Beta firmware for almost 2 weeks.

The Good:

They seemed to have fixed the disconnect problem.

The Bad:

I still only have 3 access points (satellite is missing 5Ghz). Everytime I ask, they say let's fix the disconnect problem first.

The UGLY:

The have killed the speed and performance of the router. 2.4Ghz is rated up to 300Mbps but my WiFi speed tests show the speed is constantly between 30 and 50Mbps about 10% of the rated speed.

I just requested a full refund including the shipping I paid for the RMA. I am going back to my 7 year old router which performed better than this piece of junk.

Screenshot_20200810-062839_WiFi Analyzer.jpg

Message 135 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

Screenshot_20200810-062839_WiFi Analyzer.jpg

Message 136 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey NetworkGuy1490, thanks for sharing this.
Question, do you have this beta firmware to share with us?

Message 137 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

Sorry no, I had to sign an agreement to get it.

But why would you want it if it kills your speed?

Message 138 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK, understand!!

Thanks for the answer!

About killing the speed:

The support is asking me to give them access to the devices and some screenshoots but i told them that i have to put this thing ( the MK62) on the box and went back to my old router.
If this firmware gives me a stable connection then i can put the MK62 back online and give them remote access to this device.

Anyway, thanks!!

Message 139 of 237
Roobear
Initiate

I love this guy’s comments. He nails it. @netgear get your act together. I won’t be buying your products any longer.
Message 140 of 237
bigmark173
Tutor

So the question remains - 

How can I get an RMA to send back the digital paper weight? $200 worth of junk sitting on the shelf and they won't even look at it without me buying a Tech Supoport Agreement. NO going to happen!

Message 141 of 237
Ape_Factory
Tutor

I called tech today and am currently going through the process of having mine replaced.  I don't have high hopes that it'll work but since I purchased my product through Best Buy, I cannot get a refund.  Last time I buy from them too honestly.  No accountability.

I was informed that not all units are having this issue.  I specifically said has there been a hardware update to the new unit I'll be sent and his reply was no.  Said it came down to possible manufacturing issues.  But we all know it's most likely a combination of hardware and firmware.

On the Alienware option, definitey look into the specifics on that one as it's not all it is cracked up to be.  Need to read the fine print and look up some online reviews and make sure it'll fit your needs.  This is especially true of their top tier Wifi router.  Some of their mid-tier stuff, the satellites don't have ethernet ports, something I want to hardwire the desktop computers to.  The low end system does have Ethernet but lower overall throughput.  I guess it beats having a system which doesn't work 100% of the time, LOL.

Message 142 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

UPDATE:

I got a response (5 days later) from Netgear. They asked to perform the WiFi speed test 6 feet from the router. (Which I had already done and told them that in a previous message.)

They also asked if "The concern about the three AP's the you're seeing , we are still waiting for Engineering's feedback".

And of course, they totally ignoed my request for a refund.

Wonder if there are enough people here for a class action suit?

Message 143 of 237
turbodmac
Aspirant

I recently purchased this setup and found it to be a great solution over our old single ISP provided router. Unfortunately after about 3 days my wife started have issues with dropping connection on video calls which had never happened before (she works in the office next to the router). Yesterday I was disconnected on a zoom meeting 3 times as well. When I checked the signal is showed as weak. I chalked it up to being further away from a satellite. Later that evening my daughter had issues on her laptop (Netflix) and when I checked it said "no internet connection". I went to the router and used my phone (cellular off) to verify and sure enough - same thing. However, the satellites were working fine as my wife was streaming another TV and my son was playing Xbox. I'm assuming this is the issue with it losing the 5G broadcast?  When it works, it's fast and has good coverage. But I need it to be consistent consider we are all working from home/schooling from home due Covid. I'll likely return it to Costco this week and pick up the Linksys Velos and give it a shot.

Message 144 of 237
Ape_Factory
Tutor

Trying a few things per their tech's suggestion.  I've disabled AX per their suggestion and rebooted.  Things seem to be a bit better, more stable although I was just disconnected a few minutes ago.  If you're unfamiliar with AX..."802.11ac operates in the 5Ghz range only, while 802.11ax operates in both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz ranges, thus creating more available channels. ... Finally, 802.11axintroduces a technology called “target wake time” to improve wake and sleep efficiency on smartphones and other mobile devices."  

The last part, sleep efficiency for smartphones and other mobil devices.  Seems like an area of concern.

Message 145 of 237
Reptile8
Initiate

I gave up. I seemed to have issues like everyone else in addition to issues with the inability to reconnect to the internet after my computer back from sleep. The only fix was to reboot the router. I have since purchased Google Nest Wifi since it seems to have gotten decent reviews, and I've had no issues after two weeks of use. It's nice to be able to come back to my computer and not have to be in a routine of rebooting the router (pulling power).

Since I bought my unit the day it was released, this isn't going anywhere but into a box on my shelf. I hope they fix things so I can eventually begin using it again or at least pass it on to a family member.

Thanks for all the updates everyone. It's nice to know so many of us are experiencing the same issues.

Message 146 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

NEW FIRMWARE

Guess what? Netgear released a new version VV1.0.6.102_2.0.45 which:

New Features and Enhancements:

1. Fixed WiFi connectivity issue
  2. Fixed internet connectivity issue – one wifi client couldn’t go to internet but others are ok at same time.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MK62.aspx#MR60%20(Mesh%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%201.0....

This was released 3 days ago and even though I have an open case with Level 2, they NEVER bothered to notify me.

Horrible support!

Message 147 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well,

In my case, the tech support told me about this new firmware.

So i was really hoping that this firmware fix once for all the disconnection issues... But no.. from all of my devices at home (i have less than 10 wireless devices) 1 was having not connetion at all, it is an LG G6 mobile phone (strange because i have 2 and the other works ok). So i though, ok maybe its time to upgrade that cellphone, so i got a new one.. and guess what? Yes.. you are right, it also has connectivity issues.

So the issue is still there, i have randomly this message on the logs: "[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC", but a router reboot  wil solve this issue.. for.. 30 minutes until appears again.

I tried to disable even the AX and beamforming features, nothing helps.

I went back to my old WNDR3700 V1 with OPEN-WRT, no issues at all... 

Netgear, the biggest disappoitment in 2020 Smiley Sad

Message 148 of 237
Nug
Tutor
Tutor

When I ‘Check for Updates’ using the app or web config page, it says there are none. Is that what everyone else gets? Sure I can manually download and install... It’s running 1.0.4.98.

Incidentally, I ran a 25m Ethernet cable from the front of the house between router & satellite and have had no dhcp issues for over 1 week. Also now getting consistently very fast speeds.
Message 149 of 237
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community, 

If you continue to have issues while on firmware v1.0.6.102, please send me a private message with your email, phone, and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 150 of 237
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7