Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 Router MR60 losing connection to 2.4 devices

DalePMay
Initiate

Great... I just found this forum tonight..... My MK63 is being delivered tomorrow...
Message 201 of 237
Snorky
Star

I lose connections and have to reboot regularly, I swear I will NEVER buy another Netgear product!

Message 202 of 237
DalePMay
Initiate

I already requested cancellation and ordered an Eero setup. Wish me luck...
Message 203 of 237
tm1900
Aspirant

I know I may be in the minority here but I do not have any of the disconnect issues (I  do have all all three units WIRED).    Even when we had the storms, etc,  I did not have to do anything manually, it seems like even after power outage, all units came back w/out any issue.  I'm still about a couple weeks within the return window at Costco, as of right now I do intend to keep this product since it works fine.   Other similar products that I've tried  worked pretty much the same in terms of  speed/reliability and the only way I was able to   maximize speeds was to have the units hard-wired (house with basement, two floors about 4500 sq ft).

Thanks!

Message 204 of 237
tommyjli
Aspirant

Many people are hardwired and still have problems. After fixing my channels I have to restart once a week.
Message 205 of 237
liquidgeek
Tutor

Hi All,

Just wanted to put my two cents in here as i was having the same issues as everyone else and it's actually how i stumbled on to this thread. so i was having the same issues as the OP, my wifi connection constantly disconnecting from the internet source but the wifi network says active. A little bit about my set up so for those who have the same issue and setup can try this fix. I have verizon fios with an old G1100 router that i put in bridge mode and oviously i have the mr60 with 2 sats. the bridged mode verizon router to the wan port of my nighthawk didnt work ( Kept losing intenet access ) so i plugging the internet source directly to the nighthawk but, it gave the same issue until i changed a setting in the nighthawk router. under internet settings in the advanced menu of the nighthawk router, scroll to the bottom where is says router mac address. change it to use this mac address. after that change ive had a stable internet connection with no drops. as to why this worked i dont know maybe a network guru can explain but, it works. hope this little bit of info helps someone, it is a good mesh system for the money and its a shame we are having so may problems with it. good luck everyone.

Message 206 of 237
liquidgeek
Tutor

also i forgot to add to change the MTU to 1400

Message 207 of 237
tm1900
Aspirant

Hi  @liquidgeek ,  thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, I do not experience any connectivity issues and my settings are as follows:

1.  For the DNS setting you mentioned above *Router MAC Address), I'm using the first option  which is "Use Default Address".

2. For the MTU setting, I have it set to 1500.

Message 208 of 237
RobotMan_
Aspirant

I purchased the MR60 mesh at costco.  Lost connection 2 or 3 times per day.  I am connected to a cable modem which has built in wifi,  Modem/wifi combo via cable that came with unit.    I disabled the wifi on the cable modem and I have not lost connection in 3 days.   Just running the wifi on the MR60 Mesh.  I followed the setup wizard and set the SSID at password to match the current wifi of the modem as instructed in the setup instructions.  Is it possible the wifi on the MR60 was interfering with the wifi broadcast of the cable modem/wifi combo unit?

Message 209 of 237
artenais82x
Aspirant

Hi everyone.

Do not know if it may help you, but setting manual bands and disabling "20/40 Mhz coexistence" helped in may case ( but I only had a single device dropping like crazy, so it may not apply for you ).

Thank you. 

Message 210 of 237
OceanONE
Initiate

@Christian_R I bought the MK62 package just 2 weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble. Day 1 everything worked fine.  2 days later ran the update to Firmware Version V1.0.6.102_2.0.45 and now everything disconnects several times a day including WIRED devices such as the Roku. Streaming has just been nothing short of a nightmare. I'm about to take a hammer to this thing. I am regretting now researching this forum prior to buying. Reading this thread, I just don't understand why has this issue has not yet been resolved?  Can Netgear at least offer a firmware step-back? Or is there a fix I am not aware of?

I really want it to just work. It was beautiful for the first 2 days.

Message 211 of 237
Snorky
Star

I just sold mine on eBay. You can't rely on Netgear Support to do anything. I bought the TO-link Deco and it has run beautifully without any hiccups for several weeks, I will never buy Netgear again!

Message 212 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well...
Almost 6 months without solution....
I cannot believe this...
The onlyway that i found some "stability" with this device is use only as Access Point, levaing all the router operations to the provider´s home router (which has really lot BASIC more features than this nightpidgeon)...
Wireless channels are set fixed and security have to be AES+TKIP... with this configuration the connectivity is much more stable.
However... after a reboot... i cannot manage the device.. is giving me wireless network.. but if i want to manage it again.. i have to reset it from the reset button and setup it again... REALLY?

What a shame to leave you customers without any solution for a product that you are still selling....

Message 213 of 237
Snorky
Star

After numerous disconnects and instability, and terrible support, I sold mine on ebay (took a loss), bough TP-Link Deco and it is faster, more reliable, sweet! I am never buying Netgear again!

Message 214 of 237
Cincykid
Initiate

Constant drops. Have tried everything. Returned my new modem thinking it was related but as a test, now have Xfinity modem and still having issues connecting. Think I am taking this back as well.
Message 215 of 237
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello all,

I just wanted to tell you that last firmware seems to be more stable. However im using only the router (without the satelite).

But also, i want to share my final answer before i close the support case:

Hello XXXX!

Im testing this one since saturday.
Is much more stable than before. However my computer got kicked from the network without any reason.
Although it happened once.
I have to update the satellite.
However i will not keep this device as is still not good enough...
Really a lot of missing options/configurations.
I cannot setup specific SSID for specific band, mobile devices are jumping from one band to the other...
I already went for another solution, much more flexible and stable than this one.
So, thanks for your support... this is my last repply as i will never use a netgear product again, and of course, i will never recommend it.

Message 216 of 237
tommyjli
Aspirant

Agree with all of the above.
I finally sold off my MK62 system using wired backhaul which had constant stability issues.  Worst WIFI system i've ever had.  After some friendly (but not useful) support tickets, I decided to sell it off (sorry to the new buyer) and bought 2x Asus AX-82U routers in AiMesh.  First time using Asus, the AiMesh setup is super easy (again wired backhaul). It's been 2 months (since xmas) with zero stability issues.

Honestly this Netgear system is a waste of time. I hope their higher end systems are better, but I thought it would be a simple AP system with wired mesh (have no false hope that wireless back haul on a triband would be high performance enough).  

Message 217 of 237
Bdejong11129
Aspirant

How can they continue to sell this? I bought it on an impulse at Costco this week and its worse than dial up. We are finding mobile Hotspot better. So long netgear, returning this and moving on to any one but you!
Message 218 of 237
mrbeams
Guide

ALL, I have ben working with NetGear Support for the past 6 months with inproving success.  I have been through severa Beta software trials and provided feedback at each level. I was in the middle of trying to recreate the issue and a Beta version but was not having success. The latest production release came out, I upgraded and again with this version I cannot create the issue.  My throughput is still very high. The only devices that are still misbehaving are a pair of older Samsung SmartCam's that I still use for internal monitoring of my pets.  These are old and I will replace in the next year.  No vulnerability updates from the vendor on the cameras.  Other monitoring cameras would well.  I believe this continuously try to reconnect to reach back to Samsung via UPNP, which I have blocks.  I utilze the VPN features on the router to connect back into my network to monitor Blue Iris when I am out.  Much safer solution than broadcasting UPNP Video on the internet.  I worked extensively with NetGear Support during this period and would like to give a shout out to Eahl in the suport team.  He was very helpful, thorough, and followed up better than most companies I deal with. 

Thanks

@Christian_R thanks for the connection to the support team after my initial post.  I did subscribe to Pro Support and definately worth it.

Message 219 of 237
NicTLg
Tutor

I have the same problem with my Mr60 system and 2 MS60 satellites. I actually read it was best to download the previous version of the firmware, so I tried that. It worked for a few days, but I still get disconnects. I've tried port forwarding and reserving certain ports for my 2.4ghz devices that I need daily (smart bulbs, security cameras, smart ceiling fans w/lights), but nothing seems to permanently fix the issue. I had problems like this on my Nighthawk R6000 and R6000 as well. You'd think I'd learn my lesson and stop buying Netgear. I even have 5 ARLO Pro and Ultra cameras, and even they don't play well with the family, and most are wired (smart bases / hubs are also wired). These are expensive units, fix it Netgear!
Message 220 of 237
NicTLg
Tutor

The newest firmware is worse. Go back the the previous build and rework / debug it.
Message 221 of 237
NicTLg
Tutor

I've never used this feature. I heard this and QoS causes issues with some devices.
Message 222 of 237
NicTLg
Tutor

Turn off Auto Update
Message 223 of 237
simplehelper
Aspirant

wifi connections drops has been going on for over a year and Netgear is not really addressing this on theis particular router so i have decided to look for another type of router and preferably NOT Netgear. NO SUPPORT and no standing behind their product

Message 224 of 237
NetworkGuy1490
Apprentice

I went with the TP-Link Deco M5. Have not had a single problem since dumping that piece of Netgear junk.

BTW file a complaint with the BBB, they forced Netgear to give me a refund.

Message 225 of 237
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7