Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk mesh mr60 - satellite same performance as main router unit?

Tnmup18
Tutor

Nighthawk mesh mr60 - satellite same performance as main router unit?

Upgraded to this model - much better than what I had before, even thought that Netgear router wasn't meant to cover the area it did and it did it well until work from home volume increases. Two weeks into it - when I do speed tests near each unit, of which I have two satellites, the main unit shows almost 100% increase in download (~233) vs satellites at a low volume time of day (5am). Is this normal? I also struggled yesterday on Zoom calls connected to a satellite when I thought this would eliminate "poor internet connection" problems, even checked with my own IT thinking it could be my laptop. Anyway, not to muddy the waters but main question again: should I expect performance to be the same from satellite units as the main unit, and if so, any recommendations on actions for me to take to improve my situation?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mesh mr60 - satellite same performance as main router unit?

it could be that your device is bandsteering from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. 

5ghz is much faster.

2.4ghz is much slower and more sensitive to interference. 

If its critical to your work, I'd have the office computer hardwired to the primary router. That's going to be your best speeds/performance

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the satellites are going to have roughly 50% or less of the speed of the main router. 

Reason why is this is a dual band mesh system and not triband. So there's no dedicated backhaul like the triband versions. 

meaning it has to go router---satellites and then satellite----device using the same chip. And it can't do both at once. Versus the tri-band have a dedicated 5ghz chip just for router----satellite communication. 

What speeds do you get on the satellites? 

Message 2 of 6
Tnmup18
Tutor

Thanks for this answer, and that makes sense, also why I save some money vs. a tri-band system I guess. This morning at 5 am speeds were over 200 download, then at 9am I reran (via Speedtest) and main router was 190.17 / 11.02 upload, office satellite was 125.69 / 10.98 upload. While this may seem ok, I just ran a speed test again from my office at 10:30am and its 49 / 10.34 upload. Is it typical to have such a wide variation from one minute to the next? Just ran it 2 minutes later and now it's 85.77 / 7.01 upload. Earlier around 8am I ran it (yes, I'm fixated) and download was like 20... Ultimately my issue is the 'poor internet connection' on a Zoom call and people advise me my voice is choppy and video freezes... what the heck! Any advice is welcome. I may be relocating the main router to my home office and putting this satellite elsewhere and then possibly running a cable to my work computer. Thanks again for any help and advice. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

it could be that your device is bandsteering from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. 

5ghz is much faster.

2.4ghz is much slower and more sensitive to interference. 

If its critical to your work, I'd have the office computer hardwired to the primary router. That's going to be your best speeds/performance

Message 4 of 6
Tnmup18
Tutor

Thanks and really appreciate your expertise. I'll assume there's no way to manage the bandsteering? Thanks again. Ken

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

its based on a series of factors like bandwidth, rssi, etc. 

A couple key things is to make sure to have them spaced properly. they need to be at least 30ft apart to roam properly.

You can also always try to set the 2.4ghz broadcast strength down a bit. some have had luck going that route if the satellites are close and t here's not much interference. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7