Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk mr60 dhcp not working

tjdrennan
Follower

Nighthawk mr60 dhcp not working

I have had this router for a few months now and I have had issues with wifi on numerous occasions. At random, the router will begin to not distribute and assign ipv4 ip address for devices connected to the network. Only upon connecting the device via a static ip address does the device begin to access the internet. This also applies to devices connected via ethernet to the router. (i.e. my iPhone will connect via wifi to the SSID but will have an exclamation point through the wifi icon and says "No Internet Connection". Only after changing my ipv4 address settings for the connection to a static ip will it have internet access)

I believe this is due to the DHCP server not assigning ip addresses to connected devices. I can see that a self-assigned ip address is in my device's wifi settings. What are my options for a non-functioning DHCP Server?

Steps I have already taken in an attempt to resolve:

Updated to the latest firmware (Currently: Firmware Version V1.1.7.132_2.0.64)

Downgraded to previous firmware versions

Rebooted both the router and modem

Disconnected all devices wireless and ethernet

Enabled ipv6

Removed SSID security (open network)

Access Control is disabled

Changed router ip address

Disabled AX 

DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

I was finally able to determine that my issues were overlapping DHCP addresses being handed out.  The best resolution was to bump my DHCP scope up 50 devices so that when the server assigned new addresses they did not conflict with IP's that devices had currently held before the Mr60 was rebooted.  

Static IP's also work.

It appears the MR 60 is unable to test to see if anything is on the IP before handing it out again.  This is complicated by the satellites because they are unable to obtain DHCP also and when your wifi connects to a satellite you are unable to forward past it to get a DHCP leaase.  

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mr60 dhcp not working

1. how many devices do you have connected so you're having overlap?

2. have you noticed if its mainly the wireless devices or wired devices?

3. what modem/gateway are you connecting to?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mr60 dhcp not working

Be sure to factory reset the MR and setup from scratch. 

I recommend changing the DHCP pool size to .100 thru .200 as well. 

BE sure to use Static IPs out side of the DCHP IP pool and not inside. 

@tjdrennan wrote:

I have had this router for a few months now and I have had issues with wifi on numerous occasions. At random, the router will begin to not distribute and assign ipv4 ip address for devices connected to the network. Only upon connecting the device via a static ip address does the device begin to access the internet. This also applies to devices connected via ethernet to the router. (i.e. my iPhone will connect via wifi to the SSID but will have an exclamation point through the wifi icon and says "No Internet Connection". Only after changing my ipv4 address settings for the connection to a static ip will it have internet access)

I believe this is due to the DHCP server not assigning ip addresses to connected devices. I can see that a self-assigned ip address is in my device's wifi settings. What are my options for a non-functioning DHCP Server?

Steps I have already taken in an attempt to resolve:

Updated to the latest firmware (Currently: Firmware Version V1.1.7.132_2.0.64)

Downgraded to previous firmware versions

Rebooted both the router and modem

Disconnected all devices wireless and ethernet

Enabled ipv6

Removed SSID security (open network)

Access Control is disabled

Changed router ip address

Disabled AX 

DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

I was finally able to determine that my issues were overlapping DHCP addresses being handed out.  The best resolution was to bump my DHCP scope up 50 devices so that when the server assigned new addresses they did not conflict with IP's that devices had currently held before the Mr60 was rebooted.  

Static IP's also work.

It appears the MR 60 is unable to test to see if anything is on the IP before handing it out again.  This is complicated by the satellites because they are unable to obtain DHCP also and when your wifi connects to a satellite you are unable to forward past it to get a DHCP leaase.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7