Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Not all devices can see the printer

Lamuncha
Aspirant

Not all devices can see the printer

I have been trying for a week to make the Hp 9015e accessible to all computers on the MR60 with single satellite. The printer is definitely on the network and some machines can use it, mixture of Windows and

IOS. But others  cannot (mixture of Windows and IOS). When the printer was joined there was a note that more than one router  was found that matches your wireless network name ...... your printer may connect to the wrong wireless network. To avoid this change the network name .....

HP firmware is up to date, MR60 and satellite are 1.1.6.124. 

I am concerned that indeed the printer and some clients are on different orbits.

Cannot turn off either of the frequencies and cannot force the printer to a specific frequency.

Been a disappointing week.

Suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Lamuncha
Aspirant

Re: Not all devices can see the printer

I think I found a workaround.

In the customize networks menu you can create a network within the 2.4 or 5G frequency. Which means all communication is either 2.4G or 5G

I created one in the 2.4 and connected the printer to it. All communication is on the 2.4 frequency only but all computers work with that setup.

Go figure.

Netgear is working on a solution but no answers yet.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF The MS and just connect everything to the MR? 

I would contact the Mfr of the printer for help and information regarding there product as well. 

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

are you windows devices all set to uses private address versus public? 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-046011...

Not sure about ios but you could make sure icloud relay and private mac/ip address are disabled. 

Message 3 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

Good question and I just did that. After unplugging the satellite I turned on the printer. The HP connected and so far two of the clients are working fine with the printer. IOS and Windows.

I did notice the printer is on 2.4 G not 5 as it usually is when the sat. is on.

Going to reverse this and reboot the printer with the sat on see what happens.

Thanks for the answer.

Message 4 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

the win machine in question is private, but it now works with the printer with the MS unplugged.

Message 5 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

sorry using comcast gateway wifi off.

Message 6 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

Restarted the satellite. Restarted the printer. The ipad still sees the printer. The windows laptop lost it - shows "printer off line" .

The printer connected at 5G rather than 2.4 with the sat off.

The laptop connects at 2.4 and the ipad connects at 5G

Something is happening with the different frequencies and two routers.

My best guess is this mesh system is the problem.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the MS isn't passing thru printer data information. 

Can you ethernet connect the printer to the MS or MR? 

Message 8 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

the sat has an ethernet port which could be used but not located near the printer. 

I have a Brother printer on the same network which is connected in a similar manner running 2.4G. Works fine for all machines, sits beside the sat unit.

I'm leaning to the two frequencies and two SSID are a problem.

But.......

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Have you went into the router and set the printer with a reserved ip reservation? It could be printer getting a new ip address when the satellite (or it) is rebooted and windows not recognizing it. And then needing to be "re-installed". 

Message 10 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

I suppose once I assign a hard IP address I will need to inform all client machines of the address? Or will they pick it up automatically?

But even so, with the sat off the entire network sees the printer on 2.4.

It appears when the printer connects to the satellite it is assigned to 5G. At that point the 2.4 machines cannot see the printer. I know not related to IP but I go back to the printer message upon joining the network "more than one router has been found that matches your wireless SSID .....your HP printer may connect to the wrong wireless network.... 

Not sure how mesh systems work but apparently they are not like repeaters in a standard router. This printer sees two routers.

So I will give the reserved IP a try. 

Message 11 of 12
Lamuncha
Aspirant

I think I found a workaround.

In the customize networks menu you can create a network within the 2.4 or 5G frequency. Which means all communication is either 2.4G or 5G

I created one in the 2.4 and connected the printer to it. All communication is on the 2.4 frequency only but all computers work with that setup.

Go figure.

Netgear is working on a solution but no answers yet.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7