Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Orbi vs Nighthawk Mesh System for large Home

SAK1011
Follower

Orbi vs Nighthawk Mesh System for large Home

Hi,
I am in process of upgrading my home wifi network. All wireless, no Ethernet.

I am trying to see which of the 2 options is better for large home, better speed, future mesh node extensions.

1- Orbi RBK50 (1+2 Satellites)
2- Nighthawk AX12 + EX8000 (Mesh) Extender

My personal feeling is that Nighthawk is a better, more powerful router with more configurable options and EX8000 would be an excellent Mesh add-on.

But since I couldn’t find any direct comparison on the 2 configuration so would like to know some thoughts.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi vs Nighthawk Mesh System for large Home

@SAK1011 wrote:
Hi,
I am in process of upgrading my home wifi network. All wireless, no Ethernet.

I am trying to see which of the 2 options is better for large home, better speed, future mesh node extensions.

My personal feeling is that Nighthawk is a better, more powerful router with more configurable options and EX8000 would be an excellent Mesh add-on.

But since I couldn’t find any direct comparison on the 2 configuration so would like to know some thoughts.

Thanks.

I've actually used both setups and would recommend going with the orbi. Here's why.

1. the orbi you can add satellites to it without issues, it just works. If the AX12 and EX8000 don't provide enough coverage, adding a 2nd extender usually causes more issues as they're designed for only a single extender if you're using the mesh function.

2. The orbi is designed as a mesh setup with the primary router helping manage it. The AX12 and Ex8000 are more of a hybrid system. They work great with just those 2 but add other things in, again, issues. 

3. Coverage. You're correct in that the AX12 and EX8000 would provide higher peak speeds. For the most part though, most devices don't need peak speeds. They need reliable consistent speeds. Thats where the orbi shines. My system had much high average speeds running orbi but not peak speeds. 

4. AX is new. Sad as it is to say the AX spec is still a work in progress. Orbi has been out a while and while the firmware has the occasional bump, its fairly stable and well ran. 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@SAK1011 wrote:

FWIW: Both options differ from the community section subject Nightawk Mesh system. Orbi is using a proprietary "mesh" system, AX12+EX8000 is a "normal" WiFi extender config. The Netgear Mesh system is implemented based on the standardized Wi-Fi EasyMesh.

Message 3 of 4
kingofbytes1
Aspirant

I'm in a very similar situation.  I've been looking for guidance on transitioning to a mesh system that is superfast like my current R7000.

If I get the Orbi RBK50 and satellites (like the OP), is it recommended to use the cable company cable modem - or is there a particular cable modem that works well with the Orbi?

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7