Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Recovering from a power outage MK80

in2ndo
Apprentice

Recovering from a power outage MK80

So I supposedly upgraded from an apple time capsule. That is about 10 years old. If not older. This thing always recuperated from a power outage. Without me having to do anything.
My new MK83 has to be unplugged and plugged back in. For it to catch the signal again.
Is there anything I can do to the settings. So that it will recover from a power outage on its own?
I know there aren’t many users with this model. But I doubt this is the only netgear router with that problem.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What actual modem/gateway is it connected to? 

I've seen it where the router is booting up faster than the modem and not pulling an ip address unless rebooted. 

Message 2 of 6
in2ndo
Apprentice

Is the spectrum cable company issued. I believe is an ubee eu2251. And yes. This modem takes forever to load. But I’ve been using it for the last 5 years and the apple time capsule never needed to be power cycled . I know I could get a power backup. But with a 10 to 15 year newer piece of hardware. I shouldn’t have to go backwards to make it work.
So I was wondering if there is a way to set a delay on the router or to have it retry the connection automatically.
I’ve been reading the forums and I guess my issue is nothing compare to what some people are facing when dealing with power outages.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

power outages are great at wrecking electronics. 

A cheap UPS might not be a bad idea becaues the MK system is rather expensive. 

I bought one after getting a rather expensive router wrecked from storms. 

I don't know of a way to delay the start 

Message 4 of 6
in2ndo
Apprentice

I’ve actually been looking. And have no idea what to get. Don’t want to over do it. I would just need something to keep the router going for about 12 hours. And the modem. If I need to keep that going to. Anything you can recomend or point towards? I can somewhat handle myself with the hardware. But electricity and plumbing are not my thing.. lol.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Your power goes out for 12 hours? wow. 

Look at the amps/volts on your modem and your router. 

so take your volts x amps. That gives max wattage it uses. 

and add it to the modems. 

Then x12 (12 hours). that'll give you how many watts you need. 

12 hours is quite a while to cover. I have a smaller 400 watt usp just to cover periods where its out for shorter periods. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7