Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Second MS60 satellite became unstable since 1 month for no reason

RaphaelR
Aspirant

Second MS60 satellite became unstable since 1 month for no reason

So i've bought mk62 setup 6 months ago and they were perfect, i have a long house so it was difficult for me to have wifi in my room (3 floors above the base router) and the nighthawk mr60 + the two MS60 satellites saved my connection issues.

But now, since 3-4 weeks, i nocited latency on my games, i first thought it was a problem from my network and not from the nighthawk but then i noticed that the second ms60 (so the one in my room) is pretty unstable but the others (router and first MS60) are not.

And the speedtest goes sometimes good (140mbps) sometimes not (70mbps) and i don't understand why bc i didnt change anything in the setup

I looked for updates and saw that my router didn't see the new update (1.124) so i updated them manually, no changes, the second MS60 is still unstable.

I don't know what to do, i've already done a factory reset, restart a lot of times all the routers and satellites, no big change, maybe i did it wrong ?

I hope you can help me

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

It could be how they're connected. The 60 series is a dual band series. They don't have the dedicated backhaul the tribands do. 

so they have higher latency and lower speed. This gets worse if they're daisy chained (daisy: router---->satellite----->satellite). 

And the hard part is that they auto-negotiate whether daisy or star configuration is best. It could be that its setting up in daisy chain and thats decreasing the speeds and increasing latency. 

Have you tried repositioning the satellite? 

Or changing the channel for the 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Message 2 of 5
RaphaelR
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply !

I've always been on daisy chain (bc my house is build like this and i can't change that) but then why whould the system that worked for 5 months suddenly begin to have problems ? If it was the daisy chain the problem, it would have been from the start, isn't ?

And for changing to 2,5ghz/5ghz i don't really know how to change that, i don't see the options on the nighthawk app

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Are you sure it was connecting with a daisy chain setup at the start? you might have had it laid out that way but the satellite connecting back to the base router. 

Even the tribands, they only recommend daisy chaining 2x devices and thats with a dedicated backhaul. the dual bands the performance is even worse. 

Try logging in through the browser to change your wifi channel. 

Message 4 of 5
RaphaelR
Aspirant

I'm 100% sure yes, definitively.

I changed the channels (a bit randomly), i don't know if it really helped but i don't see big changes.

I will maybe reset factory again, is there something to do in particular when doing the procedure ? Apart from activating the reset button on the back of the router ? Thank you for you reply !

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7