Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Serial Number on Router different than Serial Number in Registration

NighthawkUserT
Follower

Serial Number on Router different than Serial Number in Registration

I registered my MR60 router.  Registration reflects different number than the one on the router and satellites.  How can that be?  When I failed 3 attempts at password, the registration on the router was not recognized.  Really confused as we always refer to the plate on resets.  BTW, default password is correct on name plate.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Serial Number on Router different than Serial Number in Registration

@NighthawkUserT wrote:

I registered my MR60 router. 

Where?

@NighthawkUserT wrote:

When I failed 3 attempts at password, the registration on the router was not recognized. 

Where were you doing this?

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Mesh System - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7