Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Still persistent problems with 2.4 Ghz vs. 5 Ghz and smart devices

Still persistent problems with 2.4 Ghz vs. 5 Ghz and smart devices

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. This  board is exceedingly difficult to navigate. There isn't even a way to enter my model above (AX1800 MK63).

This should be an easy question to answer, because I can't be alone in this:

Is the only way to get multiple smart devices (Whirlpool microwave, HP laser printer, smart plugs, multiple Amazon Echos, FireCube, smart switches, MyQ garage door, etc.) to play nice and connect properly--and stay connected, even through power surges--to get a DIFFERENT wifi solution? Is the Netgear Nighthawk mesh system simply incapable of handling it? 

The problem always seems to come down to the fact that everything wants a 2.4 Ghz setup, and even if I manage a workaround to set it up, it won't STAY there. I'm aggravated to the point of fury that even after I succeed in setup, I'll get a power outage (or just some time goes by), and suddenly something isn't working, and it's a torture to set up again. Why on EARTH you can't split the 2.4 from the 5, or force a connection to one or the other, I will never understand. This seems to be Netgear's failing, and it has happended too many times with too many devices to put the blame elsewhere.

Frustrated. This thing was a waste of money.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I've never used the mk63/83 systems but I've never had issues with my smart devices (iot devices) reconnecting to my wifi when the system goes down or when power surges. 

is the mk defaulting back to its defaults?
Are devices just not auto-connecting?

Whats actually going on with them? 

there isn't many people helping on the forums for the MK systems. 

Maybe @Christian_R can help

Message 2 of 4

The problem is, setting anything up almost always requires a 2.4 Ghz connection, even for major appliances. Once I found an iffy way to do that , I was able to get everything working (oftentimes by trying each thing over and over until it "took"). But, every so often, something stops working. The microwave no longer online. The printer. Half the smart plugs. And I have to set them up again. 

The Amazon Echos are the most maddening. They *must* be on the exact same network to operate as whole-house sound for music. But they randomly lapse to either 2.4 or 5. No rhyme or reason. This didn't happen with the older router. 

Since I got the mesh system, every single thing I've tried to set up has been an ordeal. Tonight, trying to get the microwave back online (an admittedly frivolous thing to do, it's not particularly necessary), I finally gave up. It just won't do it.  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

my setup for smart things might not be as extensive but i have multiple echo's/shows and Iot devices. Again, I haven't used the MK systems but my orbi's haven't had issues. 

Might be worth switching from MK to orbi. Or a different system entirely

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7