Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Transition to Mesh Network

bmcguigan21
Follower

Transition to Mesh Network

Hi all,

Recently I purchased the NETGEAR AC1750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router as well as the NETGEAR - 16 x 4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for my 3 story house. After the purchase, I realized I was stuck to having them in the front room on the first floor so I'm having connectivity issues in the 3rd floor as well as towards te back of the home. I'm hoping to limit the need to invest more as this home is temporary but I'm looking into options when it comes to converting to a mesh network as I've tried to use network extenders in the past with very limited success. Any advice on how I can convert or perhaps supplement my current setup to be more effective would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Transition to Mesh Network

Brian,

Both wireless extenders and Mesh systems with a wireless backhaul suffer from the same physical limitations caused by the building substance itself typically.

Best advise is always adding CAT6A cabling or better from a central point e.g. near to the Internet access/cable modem/fiber point for the vertical and or longer distance horizontal coverage. At these cables you can add add wireless acess points (e.g Netgear WAC5xx or WAX6xx) to provide wireless access in these areas of the house. No need to be mis-guided by the all wireless Mesh marketing - this might work on some light constructions, but not in decent or older buildings.  

Regards

-Kurt

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7