Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Use MK63 Nighthawk purchased in USA IN EUROPE

OfirM
Aspirant

Use MK63 Nighthawk purchased in USA IN EUROPE

Hello,

I leave in Europe and while i am on vacation in USA i wanted to buy Nighthawk MK63 AX1800 model. My question is if it will be suitable in Europe since the input written on the 3 adapters in the box is 110V and in Europe is 220~240V? Should i only replace tje power adapter in order to make it work and if the answer is yes what is the DC plug size i need?

This is what i bought:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/mk63/

Many thanks for anyone support
Message 1 of 9

Re: Use MK63 Nighthawk purchased in USA IN EUROPE

@OfirM wrote:
My question is if it will be suitable in Europe since the input written on the 3 adapters in the box is 110V and in Europe is 220~240V?

Do you mean that when you bought the MK63 it came with three adapters?

Use the American adapter in the USA and use the European adapter in Europe.

In many cases, the adapters will work anywhere. Even adapters labelled 110V will work at 220~240V without going bang.

Should i only replace tje power adapter in order to make it work and if the answer is yes what is the DC plug size i need?

Why do you need to buy anything else if the thing came with three adapters?

Netgear does not sell replacement power adapters. Any generic adapter will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions. Sadly, "tip" sizes seem to vary, but many generic adapters will come with an array of different sizes.

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't use that option. Reason why is the north american versions are region locked to NA. If you're using it in EU, you won't be able to switch the region and it can cause broadcast/connection issues. 

Message 3 of 9

@plemans wrote:

Reason why is the north american versions are region locked to NA. If you're using it in EU, you won't be able to switch the region and it can cause broadcast/connection issues. 

Unless Netgear has closed down the option, there are ways around that.

I have done it myself.

Message 4 of 9
OfirM
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. What i meant i received 3 power adapter to each device but each one is labelled 110V. How will i know if it is only mistake in the label and i can really use it in Europe 220V?
Message 5 of 9
OfirM
Aspirant

Can you guide me how to change region in case it is really unlocked?
Message 6 of 9

@OfirM wrote:
Thanks for your reply. What i meant i received 3 power adapter to each device but each one is labelled 110V. How will i know if it is only mistake in the label and i can really use it in Europe 220V?

I get it now. Three devices and three adapters.

It isn't so much a "mistake" on the label as Netgear labelling them for local use. My theory is that it is down to consumer law in the USA and the EU. If Netgear wants to label adapters for all voltages it has to do more tests and get more bits of paper that cost money. Much easier just to stick 110 Volts on the adapter.

I can only say that I have plugged 110V adapters into 240V sockets. But I would not recommend that to anyone as I don't have their plugs to hand.

Message 7 of 9

As I said, this is old and there is no guarantee that you can get it to work now.

Solved: WNDR3700v2 (N600) - Can't change wifi region - NETGEAR Communities

Since that appeared, Netgear may have closed this backdoor into the router.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've region changed through telnet as well but my understanding was it was removed from the stock firmware. 

Not sure as I don't have a MK63 system to test it with. I'd be hesitant to buy it without knowing for sure it works or is enabled so you can change it. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7