Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Using MR60 MS60 Mesh satellites with R7000 Router

ShaunUCF
Initiate

Using MR60 MS60 Mesh satellites with R7000 Router

Hi I need help syncing my new 3 piece Netgear mesh satellite system with my existing Netgear R7000 router.  I live on a farm and need wifi in the barn and in the pasture.

I've seen other posts that are similar but didn't help so I started a new thread. I am not very tech savvy so please refrain from using techie jargon and acronyms. That is why I was having trouble understanding and applying the answers in other posts to my situation.

I purchased a 3-piece Netgear Mesh system from Amazon that includes (1) MR60 router and (2) MS60 satellites.  I've read that the MR60 router (it looks just like the other 2) can be used as a satellite, is this true?  That was the intended purpose when I purchase this product.

I would like to connect them to my R7000 wireless router and all be used as satellites around the farm. The R7000 has been in use for several years and has the latest firmware. I'd be very appreciative if someone could please provide instructions on how to accomplish this. Thank you in advance. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Using MR60 MS60 Mesh satellites with R7000 Router

I purchased a 3-piece Netgear Mesh system from Amazon that includes (1) MR60 router and (2) MS60 satellites.  I've read that the MR60 router (it looks just like the other 2) can be used as a satellite, is this true? ----No. the mesh systems need a primary mesh router to connect back to. That's the MR60. The R7000 isn't a mesh router and doesn't integrate with the system. That doesn't mean it can't be used in conjunction with it.  That was the intended purpose when I purchase this product.

I would like to connect them to my R7000 wireless router and all be used as satellites around the farm.----You can wire the MR60 to the R7000 and run the MR60 in access point mode. Then connect the other devices to the MR60. If wired to the r7000, the mr60 can be placed where ever you want provided its wired to the r7000. Then put the mr60 in Access point mode.  The R7000 has been in use for several years and has the latest firmware. I'd be very appreciative if someone could please provide instructions on how to accomplish this. Thank you in advance. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I purchased a 3-piece Netgear Mesh system from Amazon that includes (1) MR60 router and (2) MS60 satellites.  I've read that the MR60 router (it looks just like the other 2) can be used as a satellite, is this true? ----No. the mesh systems need a primary mesh router to connect back to. That's the MR60. The R7000 isn't a mesh router and doesn't integrate with the system. That doesn't mean it can't be used in conjunction with it.  That was the intended purpose when I purchase this product.

I would like to connect them to my R7000 wireless router and all be used as satellites around the farm.----You can wire the MR60 to the R7000 and run the MR60 in access point mode. Then connect the other devices to the MR60. If wired to the r7000, the mr60 can be placed where ever you want provided its wired to the r7000. Then put the mr60 in Access point mode.  The R7000 has been in use for several years and has the latest firmware. I'd be very appreciative if someone could please provide instructions on how to accomplish this. Thank you in advance. 

Message 2 of 3
ShaunUCF
Initiate

Thank you for clarifying.

I ditched the R7000 and just used the new Netgear mesh system on it's own. The speed test for the MS60 out in the barn matched the speeds in the house.  It appears to be working well.

I changed the wifi credentials to match the old R7000 network so I wouldn't have to update dozens of devices that connected to it.

I appreciate the quick response.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7