Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: WAN link instability MR60 / MK63 with firmware V1.1.6.122

PaoloPe
Guide

WAN link instability MR60 / MK63 with firmware V1.1.6.122

Hello,
I noticed a concrete instability of the internet connection with the recent firmware version V1.1.6.122 in my Nighthawk MR60 and satellites MS60 (MK63).

The MR60 router is cascaded to a ISP's router but this configuration has worked for me for 12 months without problems.
The only changes were the firmware updates: with the latest the whole system became unstable.

At first I solved it with MR60 reboots when the problem often repeated itself.
The serious symptom is that on reaching the web interface the internet connection was marked "Offline" while my ISP's router works perfectly.

Now I'm back to firmware V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 and I'm not experiencing problems.

The other anomaly of the firmware version V1.1.6.122 that I noticed is on the Netgear Nighthawk android app: I could no longer see the detail of the access point (MR60 or the two MS60s) used by the clients.

Anyone have the same problems?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Have you tried correcting the double nat issue? 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried correcting the double nat issue? 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 6
PaoloPe
Guide

Hello,

I've again upgraded firmware of my MR60 and Satellites of my Mesh wi-fi to version  V1.1.6.122 and implemented the proposed solution n. 2.

I need to wait at least a week to see if my problem recurs.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Hope it works for you!

Message 4 of 6
PaoloPe
Guide

I confirm: eliminating the "Double NAT" and putting in the DMZ on the ISP provider modem my MR60 I had no more disconnection problems.

Thank you for you help.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad its working for you! 

If you mark the solution as solved, it might help the next person with that issue. 

I normally don't say make a backup, but if I don't someone else will for "extra credit"

A backup is good just in case you run into issues now that you have it setup properly. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7