Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Yamaha MusicCast with Mesh System

Microfiche
Aspirant

Yamaha MusicCast with Mesh System

I recently moved to a larger house, so I bought an MR60 system to hopefully extend my range.

It has been great until now. I bought a new Yamaha RX-V485 receiver and am in the process of setting up a new MusicCast network.

The new receiver connects to the 5 GHz network immediately (checking on the device connections in the Nighthawk app), but I can't get the MusicCast network to set up. The receiver appears and disappears randomly from MusicCast, and is completely unusable. The MusicCast app is on my phone which is also connected to the 5 GHZ network.

I removed the new receiver from the Nighthawk network and connected my older RX-V479. It connects to the 2.4 GHz network and the system works better - but the setup and connections are SLOWWWW. I am now assuming the slowness is related to the app being on the 5 GHz network?

Tried the new receiver again - same thing.

Have spent hours factory resetting the new receiver and trying various options, to no avail.

I then plugged in my old router (on a different subnet) which is split with different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks.

Connected both receivers and my phone to the 2.4 GHz SSID, and the system works like a dream.

Everything was discovered and connected IMMEDIATELY.

Even worked fine when I moved my phone to the 5 GHz SSID - no problem.

From what I can see, the Nighthawk can't assign different SSIDs to the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks - so did I just waste my money on this Nighthawk system if I need the MusicCast system?

Does anyone have any advice here?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Microfiche
Aspirant

In the event anyone ever searches for MusicCast and mesh Wi-Fi, I will answer my own question.

I gave up waiting for Yamaha to get back to me, and I didn't get much help from various forums, as I went ahead and set up the Linksys WRT1900ACS in wired bridge mode upstairs, connected to the new Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router that I just bought through a switch and disabled the 2.4 GHz network on the Linksys. That pretty much solved all my problems, except for the money I spent on the Netgear MK62 mesh system that would not work. My phone even controls the MusicCast equipment when connected to the new 5 GHz network, so the problem must be that Yamaha MusicCast wants all the controlled equipment connected to the 2.4 GHz (or same network - but I can't test that as the older unit can't connect to 5 GHz) network. What a pain.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Microfiche,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Microfiche
Aspirant

In the event anyone ever searches for MusicCast and mesh Wi-Fi, I will answer my own question.

I gave up waiting for Yamaha to get back to me, and I didn't get much help from various forums, as I went ahead and set up the Linksys WRT1900ACS in wired bridge mode upstairs, connected to the new Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router that I just bought through a switch and disabled the 2.4 GHz network on the Linksys. That pretty much solved all my problems, except for the money I spent on the Netgear MK62 mesh system that would not work. My phone even controls the MusicCast equipment when connected to the new 5 GHz network, so the problem must be that Yamaha MusicCast wants all the controlled equipment connected to the 2.4 GHz (or same network - but I can't test that as the older unit can't connect to 5 GHz) network. What a pain.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7