Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: daisy chain Nighthawk mesh wifi network to reach remote guest house.

mccorb
Aspirant

daisy chain Nighthawk mesh wifi network to reach remote guest house.

I have a guest house that is quite a distance from the main residence. In the main residence I have a Nighthawk Wifi 6 mesh network with 1 base and 2 satellites. I want to purchase an additional satellite mesh unit and run an ethernet cable from one of the satellite units to the guest house and place another satellite unit.  Will this daisy chaining of satellite mesh units work? It would be much more difficult to run an ethernet cable back to the main router.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

How much distance are you talking about? 

sometimes a point to point system is better but without more details its tough to know. 

What actual system do you have? 

Message 2 of 5
mccorb
Aspirant

Here is what I have:

https://www.costco.com/netgear-nighthawk-whole-home-mesh-wifi-6-system%2c-3-pack.product.100536361.h...

I have to go about 200 ft and there is no way to get a good signal with the environment it's in. I've tried with my phone and a laptop and it's just too far. If a new satellite wouldn't work I would consider some sort of WIFI extender. I would still want to hard wire it though. Maybe it's called back haul? I don't really know if this is the same as daisy chaining and if you can do it with just the satellites.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

So you have a wired connection that far? 

The wired backhaul KB article from netgear doesn't address this and I haven't used either MK63/83 to test it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...

Maybe @Christian_R can chime in here the satellites can run off one of the other satellites hardwired. 

Message 4 of 5
mccorb
Aspirant

I will have a cable running that far. I will use a direct bury ethernet cable and just put it a couple of inches underground. No digging really...just cut a slot with a something like a plow or pick ax tooth

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7