Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

wifi 6 Mesh System v BT Smart Hub 2

markpower77
Aspirant

wifi 6 Mesh System v BT Smart Hub 2

Should i replace the BT smart Hub 2 with a wifi 6 router and if so are there any advantages.

Should i use the mesh in AP mode using the BT hub router or just switch off the BT hub wifi and use the netgear wifi 6 mesh.

Thanks for any input

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: wifi 6 Mesh System v BT Smart Hub 2

Most isp supplied routers aren't that great. 

But we can't tell you to upgrade or not. A lot depends on what you're doing, what you're trying to achieve, your home, and even what devices you're on. 

There is some benefits to having an AX router without any AX devices but it might not be a whole lot if you're not doing a decent amount of streaming/data usage. 

As well as the size of your home makes a difference.  Mesh systems are great but not if your home isn't that big. Reason why is they need 30ft seperation to function properly. If the home isn't big enough, it's better to invest the extra $ in a single router solution. 

And sevice matters. Whats the point of buying a system capable of AX speeds when you only have 50mbps service and a wireless AC system is fully capable of maxing it out. 

So can we say "sure, invest hundreds of $ on a mesh AX system". but without knowing more, its unknown if you actually need a AX mesh system. 

Message 2 of 3
markpower77
Aspirant

Re: wifi 6 Mesh System v BT Smart Hub 2

Thanks for your rsponse.

After upgrading to Full Fibre 900, i have decided to use the wifi 6 mesh router MR60 and take the BT smart hub 2 out of the link.

BT have confirmed that there are issues with the firmware and reporting speeds.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/07/isp-bt-working-to-fix-slow-fttp-broadband-speed-profil... 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7