× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Curious Question?

Rainyi
Tutor

Curious Question?

This is a curious questions that is more aimed to tech people. Would it be possible to connect a ax mesh extender to a ac powered router such as XR500? Both of course would be by the same company and supports mesh capabilities? I personally thing the XR500 would be a bottleneck for speeds possibly but what if it was directly connected up to the modem? Also does wifi 6 provide any benefits to devices that run on wifi 5?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Curious Question?

@Rainyi wrote:

This is a curious questions that is more aimed to tech people. Would it be possible to connect a ax mesh extender to a ac powered router such as XR500? ---You sure can. Both of course would be by the same company and supports mesh capabilities? I personally thing the XR500 would be a bottleneck for speeds possibly---You'd be right in that it's AC speeds would be the bottleneck. I'd probably go with a triband AC extender as you'd probably see better speeds/lower latencies versus using a dual band AX extender but what if it was directly connected up to the modem?---if what was connected directly to the modem? The ethernet? That's not going to be the bottleneck.It'll be the wireless the extenders use. Also does wifi 6 provide any benefits to devices that run on wifi 5?----there's some benefits but its mostly in the concurrent usage scenario. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7