× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP Issue upon reboot or settings change

Jamstaaa
Apprentice

DHCP Issue upon reboot or settings change

If i reboot the router or change any settings that resets the WiFi radios I find that some devices cannot get an IP address from the router for about 10-15mins. If i look at the routers admin interface the CPU gets pinned at 60-100% so it looks like its struggling to cope with the amount of DHCP requests from all my devices trying to reconnect? We have approx 60 devices.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's certainly possible, I don't think I've seen someone with so many devices using the router. It might be best for you to assign each device a reserved IP in LAN Settings. It would take 5 minutes as you can just click on the device from the table and apply and it will use the IP it already has. Then it shouldn't happen again and will save you that time.
Message 2 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
That's certainly possible, I don't think I've seen someone with so many devices using the router. It might be best for you to assign each device a reserved IP in LAN Settings. It would take 5 minutes as you can just click on the device from the table and apply and it will use the IP it already has. Then it shouldn't happen again and will save you that time.

It seems to be worse now that some devices just cant get an IP at all. Is there a way to see the IP lease table or clear it?

Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure how that's possible when they just have the IP they would normally have. Have you set any static IPs on the devices themselves? If so I'd remove those. No there isn't unfortunately. If you reboot the router it should force the devices to use those IPs immediately.
Message 4 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I'm not sure how that's possible when they just have the IP they would normally have. Have you set any static IPs on the devices themselves? If so I'd remove those. No there isn't unfortunately. If you reboot the router it should force the devices to use those IPs immediately.

I have static IPs for about 10-15 of the approx 60 devices on the network. They work straight away after a reboot.

It seems this beta has made it so the router takes around 30mins to get through all the DHCP requests compared to the 10-15mins on the stable build

Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

NG are working on improving DHCP at the moment as there is an issue there. Continue with the IPs for the other devices and that should resolve it for you.
Message 6 of 19
gycuk1
Apprentice

@Jamstaaa wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

It seems to be worse now that some devices just cant get an IP at all. Is there a way to see the IP lease table or clear it?

@Netduma-Fraseryou say that but when like most places you make a smart home the amount of connections gets bigger and bigger
Untitled.png

This Was one of the reasons i had to abandon 3.0. as the device manager wasnt showing what was online unless the IP was sending or reciving data. Not all people have multi routers setting about our xr700 does everything not just gaming. When you have a large network the Device manager is critial to sorting issues out

Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah I can see how that would be an issue for you. We will try to improve upon that.
Message 8 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

Yeah not being funny but a router at the price of the XR500 should be able to handle 60 devices asking for DHCP. With all homes going smart, the amount of devices people have is just going to go up and up

Message 9 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It can handle that many, we just need to make it so the devices don't go offline too quickly. The table view may be better for you than the tree view as well.
Message 10 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

Well clearly it cant if my phone is saying 'Cannot get IP address' for about 30mins after i reboot the router

Message 11 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure what the cause of that is exactly. @TimChang could you advise on this please?
Message 12 of 19
gycuk1
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It can handle that many, we just need to make it so the devices don't go offline too quickly. The table view may be better for you than the tree view as well.

HI Fraser,

I have been thinking for ages to think how Netduma could get the best of both words over this. could when the Ip adress instead of moving to offline somehow still be shown as online but not sending data if that makes sense. maybe the the icon goes grey which means online but no data ?black means online sending data.

The offline means the ip/item is not connected at all?

Message 13 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@gycuk1 that could be a good compromise yeah! I'll suggest that to the team. When it's offline, it could still be connected to the router but just that no traffic is being passed to/from, this could only be very briefly but it would then trigger it to go offline for a moment.
Message 14 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

I just did a quick test while i was messing around with the 114 firmware in regards to my ping heatmap issue and it looks like if i disable QoS before rebooting the router the DHCP issue just dissapears. Everything gets an IP straight away

Message 15 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting @Jamstaaa can you reproduce that every time?
Message 16 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

Yep done it a couple times now. There is still 4-5 smart devices that refuse to connect for 10-15mins but other than that everything gets an IP straight away including my Samsung S10 & S21 which were really bad previously.

Its certainly an improvement as if I leave QoS on its at least 50% of devices that dont get an IP.

Message 17 of 19
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

The results are in line with CPU usage as well. If QoS is on during boot the CPU is at 100% when i log onto the GUI and pretty much stays there for a while. If QoS is OFF its at 100% when i login but quickly drops below 75% 

Message 18 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great thank you, I'll get a colleague to have a look.
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7