× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Renewal Issues - XR700 3.0 Beta

UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

DHCP Renewal Issues - XR700 3.0 Beta

I have two kids at home on Zoom school meetings all day along with 2 adults working from home on teleconferences.   The constant DHCP renewal issues cause drops and issues  internet connection distruptions.  I tried using reserved IP addresses for the critical devices, but it did not help.

I have tried all the previous firmware versions, but they all have the same issue. For this reason, I use another router during the day and use the XR700 just for gaming.   

I have been waiting for the Beta 3.0 hoping that it would solve this issue.   I upgraded last night followed by a factory reset and then manually confguring the router again.   This time I did not reserve any IPs for the devices.

My DHCP lease renewal is set to 24 hours.  I am still getting constant lease renewals every 2-15 minutes.  

What is the plan to fix this issue?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
kendega
Guide

Re: DHCP Renewal Issues - XR700 3.0 Beta

Seems pretty clear they have absolutely no intention of fixing it, and just suckered a lot of people out of half a grand.
Message 2 of 15
kendega
Guide

Just as a note, when I rolled back to V1.0.0.20, that resolved the issue for me.

Extremely insecure version, but it’s the only option if you’re going to using this $500 paperweight as your primary router.
Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know, I'm almost certain it is an NG issue so please do keep reporting this so I can link them each time to get them to sort it out. If you have a modem/router the router is connected to then give the router a static IP there and that should help.
Message 4 of 15
kendega
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Thanks for letting us know, I'm almost certain it is an NG issue so please do keep reporting this so I can link them each time to get them to sort it out. If you have a modem/router the router is connected to then give the router a static IP there and that should help.

Unfortunately, setting it at the router doesn't work (consistently) either. The only thing that works consistently is setting a static IP on the device itself. I have 50+ devices connected, and not all of the IoT devices let you assign an IP on the device. I'm not manually managing the addresses on my network. That's what I bought the router for...

This has been an issue for over 2 years now--ever since the V1.0.1.x release. I opened a ticket to try and address it, and they "endorsed" the ticket to a higher-level tech who simply idled on the ticket until my 90 days of support ran out, then closed the ticket.

This will be my last Netgear router, and I will make absolutely certain no one I know uses them again either. Ridiculous.

Message 5 of 15
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

DHCP is one of the core functions of any router regardless of application (i.e. gaming, work, home).   This should be a top priority of Netgear to resolve.   Can we get a Netgear engineer (not Netduma) to respond to this issue?

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@UK_Wildcats they've released a debug firmware with instructions on how to capture data for the issue on the XR500. As it's the same issue across both hopefully they will soon have what they need to resolve it.
Message 7 of 15
kendega
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
@UK_Wildcatsthey've released a debug firmware with instructions on how to capture data for the issue on the XR500. As it's the same issue across both hopefully they will soon have what they need to resolve it.

Unfortunately, that was also about 2 years ago. They've definitely earned my cynicism.  Failure to resolve a DHCP issue across multiple high-priced routers after 2 years isn't just incompetence. It's negligence.

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@kendega well they've done it this week after I've kept at them so I'm confident we'll get there
Message 9 of 15
kendega
Guide

At this rate, we will literally have people on Mars before Netgear fixes a DHCP issue with a high-end router..

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They've just posted a debug firmware for the XR500 that may help fix it and also identify the problem. It's definitely moving along in the right direction.
Message 11 of 15
kendega
Guide

Over 3 months later:

New Version: V1.0.1.38

Release Notes:
[...]
[New Feature] DHCP option 60 support for Internet configuration.
[...]

Adding a new DHCP feature before fixing the actual DHCP functionality..

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's just for compatibility with particular ISPs that use this option rather than a new feature.

Message 13 of 15
kendega
Guide

So I recently pulled my XR700 off of the stack of papers it was being used to weigh down to see if I could make it work in some capacity. Thought I'd share:

Basically, I completely wiped the router, then slowly connected more and more devices to it, waiting about 30 minutes to an hour between each add, until this DHCP renewal issue started happening again.

I was only able to get 17 devices connect to it.

A $500 10G quad-core router with MIMO enabled, and it can only handle 17 devices--most of them idle during the time...

Anyway, it seems pretty stable at that number on the latest firmware (1.0.1.38).

Worth a try for anyone else not holding their breath for Netgear to do anything about this any time soon.

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@kendega NG are looking at the issue at the moment as it seems to happen on the XR500 as well so I'm confident once they've found the cause they'll resolve it on the affected units but thank you for the testing you've done, I'll pass it on, maybe that will help them.
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7