× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Feature request for Hybrid VPN DUMA OS

dravs
Guide

High, yes it's highly possible. Most of the cases are when I'm not using any device at all or when I'm using the device which is not on the vpn traffic list.

Anyhow something strange was happend when I tried add that inactive param. I was not able to connect with VPN at all. I've restored config to the origianl one but following error always appeared:

openvpn-event.lua: Exec 'ip route add default via '10.8.1.1' table 1' failed with 2
Thu Apr 29 07:17:50 2021 WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): external program exited with error status: 3
Thu Apr 29 07:17:50 2021 Exiting due to fatal error

After router restart, I had similar issue. 2nd restart of router fixed that issue, and I was able to connect and additional param was added. I'll inform in any changes.

Additional question:
Do you know why this error appears?

Tue Dec 29 09:41:36 2020 WARNING: --ping should normally be used with --ping-restart or --ping-exit

In config ping and ping-restart specified:
ping 15
ping-restart 0

Message 26 of 33
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I'm not entirely sure why as you're using ping-restart after it, but it looks to be just a warning, is it causing any issues or are you just curious as to why you're seeing it?

Message 27 of 33
dravs
Guide

I'm only curious why it's in the logs because it's properly defined, isn't it?

Message 28 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it is properly defined, not sure why it's showing there, perhaps to show that the ping-exit command can be used instead of restart
Message 29 of 33
dravs
Guide

After a whole week of working VPN correctly, I was thought that we resolved that issue. Yesterday the exception was thrown again, and VPN connection stuck in a failure state again, but somehow I was able to use internet, when "block traffic if VPN disconnect" was set.

openvpn-event.lua: bad argument #3 to 'format' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback:
	?: in function <?:73>
	[C]: in function 'format'
	?: in function 'safe_execute'
	?: in function '?'
	?: in function 'on_vpn_down'
	?: in function <?:48>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	?: in function 'try'
	?: in function <?:46>
	[C]: in function 'run'
	?: in function <?:345>
	?: in function 'try'
	?: in function <?:261>
	(tail call): ?
	/dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30>
	/dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk
	[C]: ?
Thu May  6 15:06:50 2021 WARNING: Failed running command (--up/--down): external program exited with error status: 3

As I expected, with connection mode to 'Always on' and VPN setting inactive 0, we reduced the chance to get an exception by losing connection, but we didn't found the cause of that issue. Thanks for both suggestions, so far I'm happy with them. If still, you have any idea how to fix it, or I can help you somehow find the cause let me know.

Message 30 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@dravs not a bad run there! Unfortunately I can't personally see a reason why it failed, maybe a general error, I'll pass it on to a dev and see what they say.
Message 31 of 33

Does "--connect-retry n" retry the VPN connection using the saved OpenVPN file in the Router, or does it just send a request to the same IP VPN server to try and reconnect? What does "inactive 0" do?

Message 32 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure what the difference is there, the saved config will have that IP included in it so it will retry the connection to the specific server you have connected to. If the VPN was to go inactive then it would disconnect from the server, the 0 after inactive disables this so it will stay connected until you disable the VPN.
Message 33 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7