× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: General discussion thread - TALK ABOUT ANYTHING YOU LIKE HERE

Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

General discussion thread - TALK ABOUT ANYTHING YOU LIKE HERE

This thread is for discussing DumaOS 3.0, or anything you like really. Issues and bugs should be reported in the following thread instead: CLICK HERE

Message 1 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

Talk about anything here? Well how about I start off by just saying hello to my fellow beta testers. Now lets all kick some butt while using the new 3.0 beta, and try to find any little bugs trying to hide from us!

Message 2 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

Hello All,

Does this Beta support IPV6 by chance?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

I haven't got around to testing yet, so I can't comment on IPv6 at this point.

However I would suggest everyone creating a bookmark, on whatever web brower you're using, with the direct link to this beta forums. I tried accessing it from the main forums, but doesn't appear to show it. So to keep accessing the beta forums quickly. Bookmark on the web brower you're using.

Message 4 of 189
ij4xs
Tutor

Hello everyone! I'm excited to be here as I've been a longtime Netduma fan (bought the r1 right before it came out of early access). here's hoping we'll be able to sort out the loading time (maybe timeout?) issues withe mangement interfaces I run into!

Message 5 of 189
ij4xs
Tutor

I would imagine so as the most recent version also supports it (IPv6).

Message 6 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

From my tests it appears QoS does not work in IPV6
Can anyone else report their findings?
Message 7 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

@steviev1 wrote:

To be honest with you, I haven't seen anyone from netduma talk about this. So expect IPv6 traffic to not work with QoS. As I'm sure they would of made a point to mention it as a new feature, if they had it working.

As for everyone testing the beta, if you read this post of mine. Please when you flash to this beta build, factory reset the router, and manually reconfigure the router. I think it's important to start fresh on a build like this, before reporting any bugs you find within the software. Holding the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds, before releasing will factory reset the router.

Message 8 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi all, thank you so much for taking part in this beta and providing your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Regarding QoS and IPv6 we have made changes in 3.0 but the build you're on currently may not have them. Please do test and let us know so we can try to include it in the next beta build if necessary. Remember please use the issue topic for report any bugs you may find.

Good suggestion from lilstone above as well, to ensure bugs aren't caused by remnants of the last firmware please do factory reset after upgrading.
Message 9 of 189
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

I really appreciate and congratulate Netgear and Netduma on a good partnership.   I like the combination of innovative software and great, mainstream Netgear hardware.    I am a senior executive for a technology company with over 30 years of experience.  In business, growth is one of the greatest challenges that a company can face.  I greatly appreciate the Netduma’s struggles transitioning from startup to small-med size company.   I also understand the tremendous pressure for product marketing especially time-to-market.  

The challenges of this partnership and Netduma growth are most evident in the lack of support.   There is a huge lack of sustaining engineering while resources are consumed for DumaOS 3.0 development.  For example, there are several critical issues (i.e. DHCP renewals, IPv6) that unresolved in the current software that customers are hoping will be resolved with DumaOS 3.0.  

My wife and I both work from home and recently started homeschooling our kids because the Coronavirus.   With the large number of people at home and home demands, the flaws in the XR700 DHCP lease renewals compounded the problem and made the router useable.  I now have to use another router during the day and switch back to the XR700 while gaming.   In many cases, I just game on the existing router. 

With the technological advancements and greater competition, the average home bandwidth continues to grow year-over-year.   As an example, “Overall average broadband usage in the United States for Q2 2019 was 271.0 GB, reflecting continued steady year-over-year growth of 25% when compared to Q2 2018.  Year-over-year median usage rose by nearly 32% to 144.5 GB, indicating increased usage across all levels of consumption.”

The networking equipment continues to get more powerful as well, which is evident just by looking at the selection of Netgear WIFI routers. 

With the higher home bandwidth and more powerful network equipment, most consumer needs (even avid games) can met with a good internet connection and good route.  This means that the Netduma software has to standout and provide features that standard routers cannot provide. This will only add more pressure to review and plan for the next releases to ensure both companies maintain or gain market share. 

With DumaOS 3.0 releasing soon, this is the time for Netgear and Netduma to develop a more comprehensive plan for sustaining engineering and addressing critical issues.    Without the core functions of a router working effectively, consumers will be better served with a powerful router and basic QoS. 

Message 10 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for your feedback Wildcats, this is the first time Netgear have done a beta in this fashion. We're confident that we can get any issues resolved between us.
Message 11 of 189
UK_Wildcats
Apprentice

The concern is not about the beta. The concern is that Netgear and Netduma will not have enough or allocating enough resources to sustain the existing software versions (including v3.0) while working on new development in parallel.   

Message 12 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't foresee this being an issue, we've got a lot more developers now and we've designed the firmware in a way that will allow us to make changes/implement new features faster. Support will go on just the same as it does now.
Message 13 of 189
DustoMan
Guide

I'm imagining that future software development and engineering is the whole point of the R-Apps store. It establishes a baseline that the Netgear portion of firmware can be updated at a cadience that Netgear is used to while also giving NetDuma the ability to interate on their side of things at a much faster rate. If Netgear doesn't have to sign off on firmware everytime Netduma wants to make a small change, then in the end users should be able to get faster results. This kind of stuff has me super amped to see what Netduma and maybe eventually other users can come up with to make DumaOS routers unique to other gaming routers on the market.

Message 14 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@DustoMan you've hit the nail on the head there! Glad you're as excited as we are!
Message 15 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

This isn't about the current beta in general. But something I wanted to ask about here, and if need be.. a mod can remove it, and I can make a thread about this in another location. As for what I want to bring up, it has to do with network monitor currently. I feel it could be better, and merged with another feature that's kind of hidden in settings. Also this might of already been talked about before, if that's the case, disregard this post.

As for what I would like to see in the future. I would love to see network monitor, merged with data traffic meter. But at the same time, making it more detailed, and cool overall. What I mean by this is, being able to click on each device, see their usage over Day, Week, Month. Also be able to see what their data usage was used on. Then obviously still have a total network usage for the Day, Week, and Month.

To me this would add detail, and get rid of the current traffic meter, that's hidden under settings/monitoring. Also the current traffic meter is very vanilla, and for a router that's meant to be made for gamers, with features that provide more detail, while looking cool. The current traffic meter doesn't cut it, and should be something I feel intergraded with network monitor, to look cool, making more people want to use it.

Overall I don't feel this would add to much more stress on the hardware side. As Network Monitor already seems to be trying to identify traffic per device. So it would only be a matter of logging the data each device is using, Daily, Weekly, and Monthly, while showing what they were using their data on.

Message 16 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is great to hear @lilstone87 as we actually have a rapp that basically does what you've described. It was in a previous build but was removed so we could fix some bugs in it. I'm not sure if you'll see it in the beta or not but it is something we've already done a lot of work on.
Message 17 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser That's good to hear. It was just a thought that popped in my head this morning. As I looked over "network monitor". I was like this is nice... but it could be much better. That's when data traffic came to mind. As I feel that falls under "network monitor/ing". Both features are "good" right now. However just my opinion.. you put them together, with the data traffic improvements I mentioned. You make two"good/okay(current traffic meter)" features, one damn good/great feature.

Message 18 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

I am curious how hard would it be in a future update to add more device types under device manager? The reason I ask, I actually use a second router in my home network, as an AP, to keep wireless coverage good for everyone in my home. Currently there isn't an option for this. I know you all have added a lot more options in the new beta. Still I'm sure there's likely a couple that could still be added.

I actually have a security system as well, and its control panel connects to the router over wifi. Currently I see an option for Security Camera, and Smart Home Device. Which I could use Smart Home Device for that. But adding a Router AP option would be nice at some point. Overall this isn't a big deal at all. It's just me looking over things, and me mentioning what I see. Which hopefully you guys can appreciate that 🙂

Message 19 of 189
quadrophenic
Apprentice

@lilstone87 wrote:

I am curious how hard would it be in a future update to add more device types under device manager? The reason I ask, I actually use a second router in my home network, as an AP, to keep wireless coverage good for everyone in my home. Currently there isn't an option for this. I know you all have added a lot more options in the new beta. Still I'm sure there's likely a couple that could still be added.

I actually have a security system as well, and its control panel connects to the router over wifi. Currently I see an option for Security Camera, and Smart Home Device. Which I could use Smart Home Device for that. But adding a Router AP option would be nice at some point. Overall this isn't a big deal at all. It's just me looking over things, and me mentioning what I see. Which hopefully you guys can appreciate that 🙂

+1 from me. I love the new additions and at this stage any nice extras aren't exactly deal breakers but I have multiple AP and switches. AP and a generic 'network device' would be helpful.

Message 20 of 189
quadrophenic
Apprentice

Device Manager port numbers wrong

Has anybody ever noticed the ethernet port numbers in device manager dont match the lights? Mine are backwards lol I suspect this is a netgear issue but it would be nice if this could be corrected. Surely not a complicated fix. 

Message 21 of 189
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@steviev1 wrote:

Hello All,

Does this Beta support IPV6 by chance?

I know that one of the big improvements we're making in 3.0 is that the core DumaOS features will now support IPv6. Previously, this was only supported on Netgear's part of the firmware. There may be a few teething issues in Device Manager which are caused by IPv6, so keep an eye out for those and report them if they occur.

Message 22 of 189
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@steviev1 wrote:

Could you be more specific about the problems you're having?

From what I can figure out based on your message, traffic which goes from an IPv6 LAN address to an IPv6 remote server is not affected by QoS. Is that right? How are you certain that the traffic is IPv6?

Message 23 of 189
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@lilstone87 wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser That's good to hear. It was just a thought that popped in my head this morning. As I looked over "network monitor". I was like this is nice... but it could be much better. That's when data traffic came to mind. As I feel that falls under "network monitor/ing". Both features are "good" right now. However just my opinion.. you put them together, with the data traffic improvements I mentioned. You make two"good/okay(current traffic meter)" features, one damn good/great feature.

Yeah the feature we've got in the pipeline is similar to network monitor, but it lets you search through time. You can narrow it down by devices, traffic types and such. The issues we've had with the feature so far are that it eats up a looot of memory, so we need to make it more efficient and introduce some way of intelligently culling old data.

Anyway, with the Rapp Store included in 3.0, additional Rapps should be pretty easy to add.

Message 24 of 189
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

@lilstone87 wrote:

This would be pretty easy to add. Right now in my house I just use the 'Other' device type.

Ideally in future we will be able to show devices underneath access points as a new branch on the tree, but that will require more detailed communication between the AP and the XR500. One for the future!

Message 25 of 189
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7