× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: General discussion thread - TALK ABOUT ANYTHING YOU LIKE HERE

Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Device Manager port numbers wrong

@quadrophenic wrote:

Has anybody ever noticed the ethernet port numbers in device manager dont match the lights? Mine are backwards lol I suspect this is a netgear issue but it would be nice if this could be corrected. Surely not a complicated fix. 

Hmm... It depends on wether it's a hardware or firmware issue. Some of the oldest units did have a fault which caused these lights to appear the wrong way around. Perhaps we could add an option in the debug menu to reverse the LEDs, for people that experience this problem.

Message 26 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

Not a problem per say...  When device has an IPv6 address QoS does not seem like it works.  Example...

Fast.com App on iPhone

When it states the address on the test is an IPv6 address I get full speed and loaded ping goes higher

IPv4 address the speed registers what I have the sliders set to and no ping spikes.  Nice and smooth under a data Ioad.

Any ideas?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

Re: Device Manager port numbers wrong

@Netduma_Alex wrote:
Hmm... It depends on wether it's a hardware or firmware issue. Some of the oldest units did have a fault which caused these lights to appear the wrong way around. Perhaps we could add an option in the debug menu to reverse the LEDs, for people that experience this problem.

I have seen this same issue I think with other routers in the past. Doesn't seem like to hard of an issue to fix. Just reverse the order in which the ports show their status.

@Netduma_Alex As for the more detailed data meter I talked about. I know the tricky part would be keeping the memory usage low. As I'm sure with the more details you log, the more memory that will be used up. I'm not a dev, so I'm not one to know about little tricks, and such, to maybe keep the size down. However I am curious.. say you only allow people to look at the more detailed data for the last 30 days, what kind of memory usage would that cause? Is that still to high, or is it in an acceptable range?

Because any data over a month, could just be logged as total download, and upload data used. Because people would still love to know their usage history over several months, just have the detailed data per ip/device, limited to a month. Also at least the XR routers, have usb ports. So maybe they could use a usb thumb drive to keep the data saved to, allowing detailed data to be stored for longer than a month. Ultimately I'm not the person who knows how a lot of the technical stuff works. I am just thinking, and writing what comes to mind, and sounds good. 

One other thing, I know you guys are already slammed with working on fixing things for the new features added in the beta. However I wanted to ask, with network monitor, and the network snapshot section. Have you guys ever thought about making it easier to click on data for active devices with low active data usage? As currently if you have a couple devices with higher active data usage. It can be very hard to click on the data bars for the lower active data devices, to bring up more details for that device.

I am curious why not make the device names within network snapshot clickable, and worst case, just give them the option to select download, or upload, in terms of the data you want to see more detail about. Overall this kind of ties into the more detailed traffic meter I mentioned.. which you said you guys are working on.

Message 28 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

Not a problem per say...  When device has an IPv6 address QoS does not seem like it works.  Example...

Fast.com App on iPhone

When it states the address on the test is an IPv6 address I get full speed and loaded ping goes higher

IPv4 address the speed registers what I have the sliders set to and no ping spikes.  Nice and smooth under a data Ioad.

Any ideas?

Message 29 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@lilstone87 I can't check right now but I believe 30 days is the max - likely for that reason. You do make some good points there as we're bug fixing on that at the moment I imagine we'll want to see how it goes first and then look at additional features/options for it. Great ideas overall, especially for Network Monitor, I see what you mean when the graph changes all the time it can be hard to click.

@steviev1 does it appear not to work for both download and upload QoS or one or the other?
Message 30 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

No QoS in both directions sir.

Message 31 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you very much stevie, I've made a new topic for this issue here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/QoS-doesn-t-apply-when-using-IPv6

If you have any more information regarding this issue please post in that topic.
Message 32 of 189
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

On connection benchmark test the bufferbloat reading for upload seems to be really high, 195ms pretty much everytime I test. I have tested on dslreports and get an A or A+ most of the time with occasional large spikes on the upload during the test. Is this bugged or is my upload bufferbloat reading really that bad?! Screenshot attached.image.png

Message 33 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Your upload speed isn't too fast so if the connection was saturated in the upload direction you would see high bufferbloat. If I compare it to my personal results, my upload speed is five times yours and my upload bufferbloat is five times less than your result so in that respect is does seem to make sense. Generally the higher speeds you have the less bufferbloat you will have as it is harder to saturate the connection.
Message 34 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

@CoronalAurora wrote:

I have tested on dslreports and get an A or A+ most of the time with occasional large spikes on the upload during the test. Is this bugged or is my upload bufferbloat reading really that bad?

Well my question is, do you currently use QoS while running the test on dslreports? If so, I think I remember Alex or Fraser mentioning the current "Connection Benchmark" test, isn't limited by QoS on the router. So if this is the case, the higher bufferbloat on this test, is likely due to the test maxing out your limits.

Message 35 of 189
steviev1
Apprentice

Hello Fellow Beta Testers,

I felt the need to chime in on a few things.  For one, I am grateful that I get to participate in this program.

Also, I am extremely pleased with the performance and the features DumaOS 3.0 has brought to the table in this latest release.

I have been really trying to stress my XR500 by using Netflix, Stadia, XBOX, Live TV, Gaming, etc... at the same time, and this thing just keeps on without seemingly breaking a sweat or disconnecting.

I know several other users will be pleased when they are able to experience 3.0.  Keep up the good work and hopefully (fingers crossed) that IPv6 will play nice with QoS in the next release.

A big Thank You to all who contribute to the development and testing of this latest release.

Message 36 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really great to hear, thanks for the feedback stevie!
Message 37 of 189
DustoMan
Guide

Hey guys, I had a general question about the Connection Benchmark.  What server is it running the tests off of? I ask because when I run a test using SpeedTest.net the server that is automatically assigned does not give me accurate speed numbers. I have Spectrum and they select a test server that is off Spectrum's network. I'd like to be able to choose which server the Connecton Benchmark is using.

Message 38 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It will be using the closest available server in the Mlab infrastructure. That's a good suggestion, I'll add it to the ideas list.
Message 39 of 189
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

Hi both, thanks for your reply. Yes I saw it mentioned that Connection benchmark disregards the QOS anti bufferbloat setting at the moment so even if its set to always the test will still use the maximum bandwidth. I understand the point you make about maxing out the upload however I don't get a result anywhere near this bad on dslreports with QOS turned off. Its generally A or B at very worst. No worries anyway, thought I'd mention it thats all. Liking DumasOS 3.0 a lot, processor usage has been cut in half and the Ping heat map is cool, one thing I do miss a little is the little red "light" when high priority traffic is flowing. Was quite useful for an 'at a glance' is it on or off. Not complaining as the rest of the additions are great, like Application QOS. I have about 35 devices on my router so push it to the limit with a pretty low speed 40/8 connection and application QOS means I don't have to adjust device QOS all the time. Great work...! 

Message 40 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll ask the team about it and see what they think, it is quite possible the reading is too high. That is great to hear, happy you're enjoying it! The lights do still appear but on the same line where your rule appears next to the packets.
Message 41 of 189
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I'll ask the team about it and see what they think, it is quite possible the reading is too high. That is great to hear, happy you're enjoying it! The lights do still appear but on the same line where your rule appears next to the packets.

Thanks for that, I suspect its just my connection but worth following up. WRT the HP traffic light, I now need to scroll down to see it on QOS page, cmon thats not acceptable! (joking joking joking!....;-)  First world problems an all that....

There are 2 other things I have noticed however, 

1. Signal strength for wireless devices on device manager appears to not be working, on my router at least, just says N/A for all devices.

2. My Xbox device appears to have an IPV6 address even though IPV6 is disabled on the router, it says its constanlty online (wired connection) and won't let me remove it for that reason. Xbox has been shut off for 2 days...not a biggie just an annoyance.

Many Thanks

Message 42 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It should be on the same level on the page as it was before haha. Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If you disable this and connect to 2.4 or 5GHz individually does signal strength appear? Is your Xbox in an instant on mode?
Message 43 of 189
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It should be on the same level on the page as it was before haha. Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If you disable this and connect to 2.4 or 5GHz individually does signal strength appear? Is your Xbox in an instant on mode?

Yes ha ha what I meant (and didn't describe well at all) was its missing from the traffic overview section. I used to put that on my dashboard (Seriously though this is NOT a big deal!) . Yes using Smart Connect, will have to test that later as will probably kick off the other 5 people in my house lol Xbox is in power saving mode and is fully shut off. I even pulled the plug to make sure. See screenshot of signal strength below. I deleted the SSID from the picture.

image.png

Message 44 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Oh I see, understood. I think it's better now because instead of just seeing the information you can change it on the fly on the dashboard without pinning two panels. Okay do let us know about Smart Connect off and then I can create a new topic for this bug.
Message 45 of 189
Fuzy
Apprentice

Hello,

I tried V.62 and I encountered some problem with 3.0 ... I wait for the next FW before developing my feeling! ... If this has not been corrected, I will tell you about the diffferent point that grieves me.

Message 46 of 189
lilstone87
Apprentice

Fuzy,

Hey if you're having problems on this current build, and especially if the issue isn't already reported. Please mention the problem/'s you're having. As that's what this beta forums is for. The dev's want to know about problems, so they can figure out a way to fix them. 

If your issue happens to be reported already, there's a chance the next build might include a fix for it. However if you stay silent on the problem you're having, no one can help you.

Message 47 of 189
Fuzy
Apprentice

For the most part, these are the concerns that I encounter, recurring problems known by the Netduma team for more than a year, the latest version proposed is to highlight the latest R-Apps with a minor fix. . I think.
It is better for me to wait for the next FW, so that I can develop my point of view.

Message 48 of 189
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We should have a new firmware to test very soon so if it's the issues I'm thinking of that is fine.
Message 49 of 189
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Oh I see, understood. I think it's better now because instead of just seeing the information you can change it on the fly on the dashboard without pinning two panels. Okay do let us know about Smart Connect off and then I can create a new topic for this bug.

Hi Fraser, I can confirm the signal strength problem is still there after disabling Smart Connect. It shows N/A for all devices on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. 

Thanks

Message 50 of 189
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7