× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Geo Filter constantly blocking PS5 party chat

Jamstaaa
Apprentice

Geo Filter constantly blocking PS5 party chat

When Geofilter is enabled it constantly tries to block party chat voices from other players when i or they join a party on PS5. I have my Geo filter set in the centre of the UK with a 850KM range. I have ping assist set to 15 and strict mode enabled. I have tried adding exceptions to for the people in the party chat but it either doesnt work or works for a few days and then just starts blocking them again. Is there a way to stop Geofilter blocking party traffic?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Geo Filter constantly blocking PS5 party chat

If it works for a few days then you need to do it again then their public IP is changing so you have no choice but to re-add them. The router doesn't know who your friends are so its not something that can be allowed automatically
Message 2 of 8
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

Understand the whole IP thing surely there is a better way to get around it? Can the router not see which packets are VOIP and which packets are not? Or even just analyse the ports in use and recognise which ports are for party chat and which are for game traffic?

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For PC yes that would be quite easy but for console it's not as easy, we can revisit it but if it is possible it wouldn't be a quick thing to do
Message 4 of 8
Jamstaaa
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

What are the blockers for console? I think it should be looked at because with the dwindling amount of IPv4 addresses left hardly anyone has static IPs these days so you'd be constantly updating the IPs for your friends. Although IPv6 may help this its a long way from being the default for game servers & even home internet since IPv6 still doesnt work for me on the XR500. 

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not a dev so keep in mind it's not 100% accurate but I do recall a dev saying that you're not able to use deep packet inspection on console packets, not because they're encrypted but for another reason similar to that
Message 6 of 8
Hydros85
Guide

Hello, the same was on ps4, even after adding to the whitelist chat does not work, the only option is to be in a chat with friends, turn off the filtering mode and turn on again after 30 seconds is usually enough, this is for the pride of os 2.0 and 3.0

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There must be something blocked when it doesn't work, make sure you zoom out fully - the icons can disappear quickly so as soon as you invite them have a look for something blocked then allow it
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7