× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet drops XR500

OppaChair
Tutor

Warranty ended 2 months ago. Rolled back to .114 because I still lost internet 3 times today. I'll just sell the router and go towards another company at this point if it's still continue to die on me. Thanks a lot @Netduma-Fraser and @Netduma-Liam for your help 🙂

Message 26 of 48
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Is .114 more stable for you then? If so, stick with it until we can release a new firmware. Netgear are well aware of the issue so we will get a fix out for it!

Message 27 of 48
OppaChair
Tutor

Seems like the 2 versions are unstable for me. Depends on the day seems like. Got 2 disconnect yesterday in the span of 20 minutes with the .114. I'll upgrade to .120 and factory reset again just for the sake of it. 

Message 28 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make sure to set static/reserved IPs for your devices and that may reduce the issue happening
Message 29 of 48
johnson14232
Aspirant

That's unfortunate. If you are not able to get the problem resolved in the meantime, you can raise a ticket with Netgear at  https://support.netgear.com/ https://telegramforpcdl.com/ and request a return.

Message 30 of 48

Ive had the same issue since march. No fix at all. 

Main feature of a router is to be able to provide DHCP...There cant even get that right. Netduma staff are spot on. there really do want to help you but Netgear are useless tbh. I called there support line and there basically said we can help but you need a support contract first which is 95 pound....Very Poor!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 31 of 48
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this, the Netgear team are working on this and we are doing our best to assist them where possible. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can release an update to fix this!

Message 32 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

Any news on this? New to the community here, I have been fighting with the constant DHCP stops (what it seems to be anyway) for a while. I've tried setting all static IPs, downgrade, upgrade, etc.. My issues seem to stem from DHCP changes, I cannot even access the router VIA a wired connection, i upgraded to .120 in hopes that it would fix my problems, but it did not, I still have to reboot the router at least once a day, sometimes twice logs aren't terribly helpful other than 

[DumaOS] process '/usr/bin/dpiclass' died restart:true, Sunday, September 12, 2021 19:16:39

[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Sunday, September 12, 2021 19:16:36

[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Sunday, September 12, 2021 19:16:34

I just tried to change the retry attempts to 5 to see if it helps, I do appreciate the work you've put into this thus far, I'm sure it isn't an easy task. When the router is functional it is solid, and i love it, but it would be really nice to be able to find the fix, or some sort of solution, I'd settle for a heartbeat monitor to restart the software when it died. Heck, I'd even go with whatever beta of the beta you have ;).

Message 33 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That version should have had a partial fix, did you factory reset after upgrading? You said you've done static IPs, is that for your devices connected to the XR or the XR WAN IP or both as they should all help to an extent.
Message 34 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

Yes sir, I factory reset after every upgrade. I did static for the devices connected to the XR, I don't have an option for static wan (using bridge mode). What's odd is it seems to correspond to wan lease change, but then others immediately after reboot, or after a new device has joined, I have the reserved range of .1-.50 for my static addresses. The devices will report unable to obtain IP address, even on the statics.
Message 35 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Take your modem out of bridge mode, leave it in router mode and give the XR the static WAN IP and see if it's more stable please
Message 36 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser , That's actually what my original setup was. Out of curiosity I brought it to work with me today to test out on my test bench (1g static wan, in which i was able to pull a full 980mb/s :D), it lasted 4 hours before dhcp crashed, I had a laptop hardwired, a laptop wireless, and a cell phone; both laptops were static, cell dhcp, I left for around an hour and when the phone reconnected to the XR when I came back, the DHCP stopped, however after the reboot, I did something similar, and it worked fine. I did attempt to downgrade and then reset, then upgrade again and reset as suggested previously prior to this test. It certainly doesn't seem to have any consistency to it when it crashes, for example, it was only most of the day Saturday both on and off the network at different points in the day without issue, then when i was browsing the Internet that night it went down. Definitely nebulous. 

Message 37 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you could grab the logs when it happens that could be really helpful in figuring out what may be causing it
Message 38 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

Sure thing, want then here, or in PM?

Message 39 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to use DMZ on the ISP modem/router for the XR router...Helps avoid double NAT issues. 

@grandiosotoast wrote:

That's actually what my original setup was. Out of curiosity I brought it to work with me today to test out on my test bench (1g static wan, in which i was able to pull a full 980mb/s :D), it lasted 4 hours before dhcp crashed, I had a laptop hardwired, a laptop wireless, and a cell phone; both laptops were static, cell dhcp, I left for around an hour and when the phone reconnected to the XR when I came back, the DHCP stopped, however after the reboot, I did something similar, and it worked fine. I did attempt to downgrade and then reset, then upgrade again and reset as suggested previously prior to this test. It certainly doesn't seem to have any consistency to it when it crashes, for example, it was only most of the day Saturday both on and off the network at different points in the day without issue, then when i was browsing the Internet that night it went down. Definitely nebulous. 

Message 40 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to use DMZ on the ISP modem/router for the XR router...Helps avoid double NAT issues. 

@grandiosotoast wrote:

That's actually what my original setup was. Out of curiosity I brought it to work with me today to test out on my test bench (1g static wan, in which i was able to pull a full 980mb/s :D), it lasted 4 hours before dhcp crashed, I had a laptop hardwired, a laptop wireless, and a cell phone; both laptops were static, cell dhcp, I left for around an hour and when the phone reconnected to the XR when I came back, the DHCP stopped, however after the reboot, I did something similar, and it worked fine. I did attempt to downgrade and then reset, then upgrade again and reset as suggested previously prior to this test. It certainly doesn't seem to have any consistency to it when it crashes, for example, it was only most of the day Saturday both on and off the network at different points in the day without issue, then when i was browsing the Internet that night it went down. Definitely nebulous. 

I sure did, I turned off all of the firewall settings, and only allowed a single IP (the XR500), and shared wan ip with XR500 everytime the ARRIS would get a new WAN IP it was guaranteed to go down. 

Message 41 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you could send them to @TimChang actually that would be best, he is the XR500 lead and was investigating the issue
Message 42 of 48

I have had this issue since march now, with no word from Negear at all. Tickets logged no reply, called netgear and got told i had to buy a support contract before there can help. 

Netduma team have been amazing tho. But i would like at least something from netgear.

I have not been using the XR500 for the last month and i have had no drops at all. So quicker the firmware is out the better.

Message 43 of 48
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that Netgear haven't been responsive on your tickets, our devs are discussing these issues with them so I can assure you it's being worked on.

Thanks for your patience though, we'll be sure to post here as soon as the next update is released!

Message 44 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

@dialatech2303 wrote:

I have had this issue since march now, with no word from Negear at all. Tickets logged no reply, called netgear and got told i had to buy a support contract before there can help. 

Netduma team have been amazing tho. But i would like at least something from netgear.

I have not been using the XR500 for the last month and i have had no drops at all. So quicker the firmware is out the better.

So, I've been watching my debug (once i figured out how to turn it on), and my problem seems to stem from the something with the wifi, the false DDoS, and something consuming all of the memory and the OS is unable to recover for whatever reason. I decided to turn off WMM, and disable DDoS, so far 15hrs in no drop, not that it matters for the typical home user, but it does make me a little uneasy with DDoS being turned off. 

Message 45 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, keep us posted on that. If you were to get legitimately DDoSed then even with that protection enabled it wouldn't be able to counteract a big attack.
Message 46 of 48
grandiosotoast
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
That's interesting, keep us posted on that. If you were to get legitimately DDoSed then even with that protection enabled it wouldn't be able to counteract a big attack.

Thats my thought, but I get like 3 pings in a row about a DDoS before WAN change, and then it drops, it's almost like its detecting a wan change as a DDoS? Ultimately, I think the underlying issue is the ram is being consumed and the system is unable to free any up, and just freezes, I sent my panic_log to TimChang, but if this is helpful for ND in anyway here ya go, .120 FW.

Message 47 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's very possible, the DoS entry shows connections you've come in contact with, they're not actually attacks. Thanks for that!
Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7