× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is it possible to collect the results of the Connection Benchmark on the XR500 running the 3.0 B

bellington
Tutor

Is it possible to collect the results of the Connection Benchmark on the XR500 running the 3.0 Beta

Looking for some rather low-level support on this request. Hardware information is as follows:

Netgear XR500 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router

Firmware: V2.3.2.104-DumaOS3.0-Beta

DumaOS: 3.0.150

Internet Connection: 1Gbps FTTP (940Mbps / 940Mbps)

Router is directly connected to the Fiber Gateway, there is no additional ISP hardware in between. Static IP address provided by ISP. 

Issue being reported/investigated: Inconsistent upload/download speeds, major packet loss and high jitter. 

Let me start out by saying that the issue is NOT related to the hardware or beta firmware. Even after I upgraded to the beta, my speeds were consistently reporting in the router connection benchmark utility around 900Mbps / 920Mbps  down / up respectively. Starting around Nov. 5th my download speeds tanked, I started to experience packet loss with a mean average of 15 to 25% and an average jitter of 30%. During peak hours my download speeds often dropped to under 2.5Mbps. I opened a ticket with my ISP, and they started to investigate the issues. So far the following have been found and corrected:

Optics at the switch and Fiber gateway were reporting near minimum tx/rx power and were replaced.

Original install of the Fiber gateway had a jumper that was not needed, jumper removed and connected correctly.

CRC errors were still seen on the switch port after optics and gateway issue corrected and counters on the switch cleared.

ISP moved connection to a different switch port, CRC errors followed.

ISP traced fiber drop and ran testing to confirm integrity, drop passed all testing, ISP ran and buried a new drop just to be sure. CRC errors stopped, speeds, jitter and packet loss seemed to improve.

72 hours later the same issues returned, including the CRC errors on the switch port. Just to rule out hardware, temporarily replaced XR500 with an R9000 - Nighthawk X10 AD7200, exact same issues.

ISP is requesting historical speed test logs, which I can run from inside DumaOS via the Connection Benchmark RApp. The problem is that there is no way to export those results that I have been able to find. What I need to know is, can the historical connection benchmark results be pulled from within the BASH shell? I have enabled telnet and have found the files for the web interface.

root@core-router00:/dumaos/apps/usr/com.netdumasoftware.benchmark/frontend/desktop/DomModules/benchmark-history-entry.html

and 

root@core-router00:/dumaos/apps/usr/com.netdumasoftware.benchmark/frontend/desktop/DomModules/benchmark-history-entry.html

What I am trying to determine is where the pages are calling the test result information from. Looking at the html code for the two files, I cannot determine the exact file that is being called for information. It looks like it is calling ".history-date".

From "benchmark-history-entry.html"

<link rel="import" href="/custom-elements/iron-icons/iron-icons.html?v=<%= dumao

min-width: 112px;

padding: 16px 0 0 0;

@apply(--layout-self-stretch);

@apply(--layout-vertical);

@apply(--layout-center);

transition: background 150ms ease-in-out;

text-align: center;

position: relative;

cursor: pointer;

}

:host:hover {

background-color: rgba(var(--primary-background-rgb), 0.5) !important;

}

::content .history-header {

height: 48px;

padding: 0 16px;

width: 100%;

box-sizing: border-box;

}

::content .history-date {

text-overflow: ellipsis;

- benchmark-history-entry.html 2/116 1%

and from "benchmark-history.html"

<link rel="import" href="/custom-elements/iron-icons/iron-icons.html?v=<%= dumao

display: block;

}

::content #historyTable {

transform-origin: top right;

@apply(--layout-horizontal);

z-index: -1;

}

::content .historyTable-wrap {

@apply(--layout-horizontal);

border: thin solid var(--divider-color);

border-width: thin 0 thin 0;

z-index: 0;

}

::content #header {

background-color: var(--transparent-background-color);

@apply(--layout-vertical);

}

::content #header > div:not(:first-child) {

border-top: thin solid var(--divider-color);

- benchmark-history.html 2/217 0%

However, when I grep for this file it returns as not found. I assume that this is the only place that I can collect the historical results. (I have the connection benchmark Rapp scheduled to run a test every 2 hours).

Any help would be appreciated, as right now my only option is to select an individual test, screenshot the results, then select the next test, screenshot etc. What the ISP is looking for is a pattern on when the speeds drop off and the packet loss + jitter increase to correlate with the CRC errors on the switch. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Is it possible to collect the results of the Connection Benchmark on the XR500 running the 3.0 B

I'm not a dev so don't go into the backend too often but I think you have found the right place and that they do need parsing to make them readable.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I will pass this on to the team to see if they can help.

However, Connection Benchmark isn't always super accurate which is why we're making improvements to the speeds shown - I'm not even sure how you managed to get it showing 900Mbps to be honest. Were you doing speedtest.net tests at the same time? If so you can access all the results here which may be easier: https://www.speedtest.net/results
Message 2 of 9
bellington
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser 

I have tried to reply to you several times and my posts keep getting auto-rejected as soon as I click submit with no explanation of why they are being rejected. 

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does it say about no authorization? If so I get that sometimes, refresh the page and then post and it should work.
Message 4 of 9
bellington
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser 

Nope, that did not help. As soon as I click post it immedietly gets dropped into My Unmoderated Items - My Rejected Items. Saved it as a .pdf and will try attaching it to this reply. 

Thanks for continuing to look into this.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Possible that it's due to the long post but couldn't be sure. Thanks for the PDF, really glad to hear it's not an XR issue and that you're not getting issues generally. I will do what I can to see if we can help you pull as many results as possible. As you mentioned the team are busy so I don't know when exactly I may be able to get the information but will do my best.
Message 6 of 9
bellington
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser 

Again, thank you for your replies and for looking into this. After reading your last reply, I logged back into the shell and did some more poking around. I came across the following directory '~/home/benchmark/history' which looked promising. When I opened the directory it was full on files named in a numerical format + .txt.gz. The number of files in the directory equals the number of scheduled tests run so far, so i thought maybe I found what I was looking for. 

To be safe, I created a temp directory on the root of the file system, then copied the 'history' directory and its contents to that temp directory. Changing to the root of the file system I tar.gz the copy of the 'history' directory, then tftp'd it off to my local machine. This allowed me to un-compress the directory and then un-compress the individual .txt.gz files. This is where I got lost, as the output in the files is formatted in such a way that it does not make any sense to me from a benchmark perspective. I am thinking that these are either not the files I am looking for or they are formatted in a way that requires them to be parsed in order to be human readable. 

I have attached one of the files, saved as a .pdf since we cannot attach .txt files. When you have a moment to look, can you confirm if my line of thought is correct? That these are not the logs I am looking for or they need to be parsed using a proprietary tool to be readable?

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not a dev so don't go into the backend too often but I think you have found the right place and that they do need parsing to make them readable.
Message 8 of 9
bellington
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser

Once again thank you for your time and help. Hopefully the dev team can shed some light on my question. I will wait for a response from them and in the meantime manually gather any additional information that my ISP may need. Enjoy your weekend and should I need anymore assistance I will reach out.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7