× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issue reporting thread - POST NEW ISSUES HERE (V 2.63 running DumaOS 3.0.139)

jblack68
Apprentice

Re: Issue reporting thread - POST NEW ISSUES HERE (V 2.63 running DumaOS 3.0.139)

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
@jblack68if you unpin it and then pin it back again does it do it without the applying settings?

Still does the applying settings every time i go to dashboard

Message 301 of 635
Glenn693
Apprentice

Am using google chrome on pc
Message 302 of 635
kxndal
Guide

Betreff: Issue reporting thread - POST NEW ISSUES HERE (V 2.63 running DumaOS 3.0.139)

What I noticed, the router has become more stable and less crashes.
I still have problems with DHCP and the Under Load Test (Upload) no matter what I set in QOS under Congestion Control - it does nothing. It limits the upload but the ping under Load is always a D.
And have a bug that it applying settings every time i go to QOS.

Where is the auto setup at QOS?

Message 303 of 635
mreich1978
Apprentice

High Load Average on Router

Is anyone looking in to the high load average on the XR500? I have mentioned this before and it never seems to get any traction. According to the dashboard my load average on the router is always above 4 (not good for a dual cpu device). The load average will increase over a few days and once it finally hits 8+ the router becomes unresponsive and requires a reboot to work again. I don't know what is eating the CPU on the device since telnet has been disabled in the current beta version.

Yes I have done numerous factory resets on the router with the same results. the .56 firmware had a similar load average, but never really got above 6. still required a weekly reboot to make sure everything is working correctly.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 304 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

So I have been running this latest firmware (.104) since the original release date, no changes in regards to the issues I see that I mentioned originally.

Process that keeps failing:

[DumaOS] Ubus object 'com.netdumasoftware.dpiclass' now bound,

[DumaOS] Ubus object 'com.netdumasoftware.dpiclass' added, attempting to bind pending,

[DumaOS] process '/usr/bin/dpiclass' died restart:true,

Just random times of the day that this process dies and restarts, cant correlate this to anything in particular.

UPNP:

Same issue as usual where port does not get cleared up. I see the page that has been created for this issue has now been removed.

Netgear don't look like they will be fixing this anytime soon and gave a pretty poor response in summary blaming the game not closing the port down cleanly, don't agree at all with that response, there has to be timeouts to clear down unused ports which seems to not work.

ARP Issue:

[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: 'fe80::18e8:2f8e:3d6e:a6c0 dev br0 lladdr a4:d9:31:cc:d2:3e STALE'

QOS issue:

Everytime I go onto the QOS page it says applying changes, you can see it even write to the config file according to logs (even though nothing has been changed).

The NETGEAR Nighthawk App (on iPhone):

When trying to do a Speedtest via it, the upload completes but on download it fails with the error;

Connection Failed

If the problem persists try rebooting your router.

(I have tried a reboot no difference).

Waiting on feedback from Netgear on this still on this thread (unless they didn't tag me in the response).

Telnet Option:

On the debug page the telnet option has been removed now, imagine this is intentional but now quite annoying to track issues I was looking at.

RAM usage:

This seems to get gobbled up by the cache pretty quickly for me, not sure what it would be 'caching' exactly, from 50+% after a reboot in less than 2 days it has dwindled down to a mere 28.2%, I do not recall it doing this previously, I assume this has something to do with the process that keeps crashing causing the memory to be consumed. In theory this will die in 4 days if its anything like my my next point below.

Complete loss of access:

I had a complete outage on the router, couldn't get onto it, couldn't get a valid LAN ip via wifi or via wired ethernet.

Assumption is that this was caused by lack of available free RAM. Thie router had around 4 days uptime 

Powered off, disconnected power also for a couple of mins to ensure everything clears down, powered back on and it worked, no logs was available from before the powerdown, just everything that happened from the bootup.

Message 305 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

Re: High Load Average on Router

@mreich1978 wrote:

Is anyone looking in to the high load average on the XR500? I have mentioned this before and it never seems to get any traction. According to the dashboard my load average on the router is always above 4 (not good for a dual cpu device). The load average will increase over a few days and once it finally hits 8+ the router becomes unresponsive and requires a reboot to work again. I don't know what is eating the CPU on the device since telnet has been disabled in the current beta version.

Yes I have done numerous factory resets on the router with the same results. the .56 firmware had a similar load average, but never really got above 6. still required a weekly reboot to make sure everything is working correctly.

@mreich1978 

For me, my CPU load is always at 4.xx, only once have I seen it above that and that was when I was doing alot of tweaking etc and it got it's knickers in a twist and could see in the logs it was acting odd (can't remember exactly what, but I did post it in this or the older issues thread), it was hitting alot of spikes of 100% etc, I rebooted my router and it didn't have that issue again, that was on an older release also though.

Are you tweaking it alot? That could be my only assumption causing it to have high CPU loads and getting all confused etc.

Thanks,

Message 306 of 635
jblack68
Apprentice

My Load is above 4 too but I have a mesh system attached to the system and quite a few devices connected.
Message 307 of 635
mreich1978
Apprentice

@TheFuzzyOne87 wrote:

@mreich1978 wrote:

@mreich1978 

For me, my CPU load is always at 4.xx, only once have I seen it above that and that was when I was doing alot of tweaking etc and it got it's knickers in a twist and could see in the logs it was acting odd (can't remember exactly what, but I did post it in this or the older issues thread), it was hitting alot of spikes of 100% etc, I rebooted my router and it didn't have that issue again, that was on an older release also though.

Are you tweaking it alot? That could be my only assumption causing it to have high CPU loads and getting all confused etc.

Thanks,

I have not done any tweaking to the router. Due to all the issues that have been popping during the beta I have been using the router with all the default options. I have disabled my DHCP & DNS server and I am letting the XR500 handle everything. Most likely adding that back to the network this weekend since the router seems overloaded with the basic functionality enabled.

Message 308 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

@mreich1978 

Dp you actually see issues? For me with it running at 4.xx seems to be fine, it hasn't changed since I got the router as far as I can remember.

Looking at the CPU graph for mine it shows running around 10% constantly so maybe one of them is lying to me?

Considering I see no issues with performance on my router with it showing as running with a load of 4.x and the graphing showing 10% load I assume the load number value is incorrect?

Message 309 of 635
mreich1978
Apprentice

@TheFuzzyOne87 wrote:

@mreich1978 

Dp you actually see issues? For me with it running at 4.xx seems to be fine, it hasn't changed since I got the router as far as I can remember.

Looking at the CPU graph for mine it shows running around 10% constantly so maybe one of them is lying to me?

Considering I see no issues with performance on my router with it showing as running with a load of 4.x and the graphing showing 10% load I assume the load number value is incorrect?

Yes there are issues when the load average spikes. Once it hits 8ish you can't connect to the internet or the router. It will respond to ping, but you can't access the device in anyway. Since it becomes a brick I can't grab any logs from the device to see what is going on. The only fix is to reboot the router.

Message 310 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

@mreich1978 

Ok so when it hits 8 it has problems not from 4 like you said in the original post today lol.

It's an interesting one because without having CLI access you can't get the constant load averages without refreshing the 'system information' page on the GUI because that is static and only changes when you hit refresh, by hitting refresh you are also causing all the pinned items information to be pulled at the same time which probably causes the load average of 4.xx for myself and explains why the graph showing as 10% or below for the majority of the time for me (apart from the initial second that I have refreshed the page so its busy processing/publishing all the information for the page)

It's a shame they have removed the telnet feature in this release as you could of seen what was using the CPU by running the command 'top'.

Hopefully they can figure out what is going on with your setup Smiley Sad

Message 311 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

@mreich1978 

one thing I thought of.

Do you have many wired devices connected?

If you have:

Have you checked what speed & duplex they are all running at?

If the Speed is like 100M/10M or you are running at half duplex this may cause the issue with CPU load.

Might make sense to check the other side of the connection also (if a switch with intelligence or another device that can tell you the speed and duplex).

Speed &/or duplex mis-matches can cause havoc to a device due to the packets having to be qued/store and forwarded.

Other things that could cause the CPU problem are:

Using vlans and having a network loop / broadcast storm due to spanning-tree issues.

Thanks,

Message 312 of 635
mreich1978
Apprentice

@TheFuzzyOne87 wrote:

@mreich1978 

one thing I thought of.

Do you have many wired devices connected?

If you have:

Have you checked what speed & duplex they are all running at?

If the Speed is like 100M/10M or you are running at half duplex this may cause the issue with CPU load.

Might make sense to check the other side of the connection also (if a switch with intelligence or another device that can tell you the speed and duplex).

Speed &/or duplex mis-matches can cause havoc to a device due to the packets having to be qued/store and forwarded.

Other things that could cause the CPU problem are:

Using vlans and having a network loop / broadcast storm due to spanning-tree issues.

Thanks,

I have 3 devices connected to the router directly. An 8 port switch, my main desktop, and a Raspberry PI. All are connected at  1000Mbits full duplex except the PI. The PI is connected at 100 Mbits full duplex since it is a version 3. My cable modem is connected to the WAN port on the router at 1000 Mbits full duplex.

I don't have any vlans or any other special networking settings. It is a very basic setup.

Cable modem in to XR500. Raspberry PI is running Pi Hole, DNS, & DHCP. 3 wired divices (main desktop, work laptop, and raspberry pi) everything else is wireless. As of right now there are only 17 devices on the network so it isn't being overloaded (or at least should not be)

Message 313 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

Thanks for the info @mreich1978 

You said 'I have 3 devices connected to the router directly. An 8 port switch, my main desktop, and a Raspberry PI.'

But then you said 'Raspberry PI is running Pi Hole, DNS, & DHCP. 3 wired divices (main desktop, work laptop, and raspberry pi)'

The work laptop was not originally mentioned in the first statement, is that connected to the 8 port switch then?

Do you have anything/anything else connected to the switch? If not is there an option to power it off to see how the router behaves?

Thanks

Message 314 of 635
brian4n
Guide

Wanted to let everyone know WIFI Calling still breaks up and disconnects in this new firmware.  I am able to get around the issue by creating a guest SSID just for my Iphone XS and wifi calling.  Talk for for 3-10 seconds and my voice is gone (dropped).  It's def. a firmware issue and not hardware given it works on the guest network. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 315 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@LevelUpLiam24 Go on each of the feature pages, do you see any of them with the colored in pin icon? If so click it and see if it unpins from the dashboard. I’m assuming you didn’t do a factory reset after upgrading to this firmware then? Would recommend doing that ideally.
@Glenn693 did you do a factory reset after upgrading? If so clear the browser cache/cookies and see if that resolves it please.
@jblack68 Clear the browser cache/cookies and see if that resolves it please.
@kxndal I responded to you in the other topic.
@mreich1978 load average
@TheFuzzyOne87 don’t worry about the logs too much unless it correlates specifically to an issue. ARP, do you see this causing an issue with the device in question? If you clear the browser cache/cookies does that clear the Applying settings? @iceway_zhang please look into the app issue and can you do anything to clear the UPnP ports? Let us know if it does die after the RAM usage increases. We only fixed the original issue this week so probably related to that, would suggest doing a reset if you haven’t already.
@brian4n thanks for letting us know, I’ve created a topic for the issue here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/WiFi-calling-doesn-t-work/m-p/19775...
Message 316 of 635
jblack68
Apprentice

Even tried resetting the firmware but still keeps saying applying changes and have cleared brower cache

[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.qos.settings', Wednesday, September 16, 2020 19:11:32

It keeps saying that in the Logs too

Message 317 of 635
Glenn693
Apprentice

Freser yes i did a factory reset after update and i did clear all browser/cache and still no better.
Message 318 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you very much both of you, I've made a topic for it, please post there if you have any more information regarding it.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/QoS-says-applying-changes-constantl...
Message 319 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

Hi @Netduma-Fraser 

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
@TheFuzzyOne87don’t worry about the logs too much unless it correlates specifically to an issue. ARP, do you see this causing an issue with the device in question? If you clear the browser cache/cookies does that clear the Applying settings? @iceway_zhang please look into the app issue and can you do anything to clear the UPnP ports? Let us know if it does die after the RAM usage increases. We only fixed the original issue this week so probably related to that, would suggest doing a reset if you haven’t already.

Regarding the ARP issues it doesn't seem to correlate to anything that causes issues, no IPv6 is configured, it wasn't logged when mentioned last time because you said not to report stuff so letting you know it's still there after fixing the issue Smiley Very Happy.

Yep browser and cache has been cleared (google chrome) I have seen a few people say they get the 'applying settings' occurring although in different locations but similar scenarios.

Free RAM is down to 19% now, will let you know when/if it dies.

Are you suggesting to factory reset again although it was done when I originally installed last week when the latest firmware was first released?

Thanks,

Message 320 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

@brian4n 

@brian4n wrote:

Wanted to let everyone know WIFI Calling still breaks up and disconnects in this new firmware.  I am able to get around the issue by creating a guest SSID just for my Iphone XS and wifi calling.  Talk for for 3-10 seconds and my voice is gone (dropped).  It's def. a firmware issue and not hardware given it works on the guest network. 

Under Settings-->Setup-->WAN Setup -->Disable SIP ALG <-- try ticking this and applying it.

It may help.

Cheers,

Message 321 of 635
brian4n
Guide

Will try!  

Message 322 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@TheFuzzyOne87 I would suggest a reset again just in case to make sure it downloads the correct cloud file. I've made a topic for the applying settings issue so we will investigate.
Message 323 of 635
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser 

no problem, when/if it falls over will do it then.

Thanks,

Message 324 of 635
Tripper_
Guide

When trying to delete Game Console from Traffic Prioritization I have IPv6 enabled.

sfgsd.png

When disabled Game Console

fyf.png

Message 325 of 635
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7