× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issue reporting thread - POST NEW ISSUES HERE (V 2.63 running DumaOS 3.0.139)

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Issue reporting thread - POST NEW ISSUES HERE (V 2.63 running DumaOS 3.0.139)

@Mistakes definitely not defective, just a bug in the firmware. I don't have a 450 to hand but the devs will take a look and see if they can reproduce.
Message 551 of 635
LiLAsN
Star

With this firmware, I am still getting weird slowdowns of the internet. Like severely slow speeds. This usually happens when there's a huge download happening. But wait, don't misunderstand.

My internet is 1Gbps.

So what happens is if for example, I am downloading a game on the PS4 and this bug randomly appears, not only is all device affected, but even the PS4's speed is being throttled severely.

Similarly, when I download a Steam game, out of randomness, when this bug appears, again, slowdown like nobody's business.

A fix to it was to restart the router. And then, I can download without any slowdowns to all devices in the network including the main device that is doing the downloading. But the issue with doing that is, I have to turn off other smart home automations and especially the Netgear Wifi Extender that acts very wonkily upon having no access to the main router. Devices will sometimes auto connect to the extender. Thus will remain without internet without my knowing for a while. And may cause the home automations to disappear from the app causing me to have to re-pair the device.

Thus why, a simple restart of the router, ends up being a long tedious task of manually turning off all the devices as well, then let the router finish booting, then turning on the devices meant to connect to the XR500 since they are nearer, and then booting up the Netgear extender which takes forever to boot up. 3 minutes at least, and then I can turn on the other devices that I intended to connect to that.
What a huge pain in the behind just to get the XR500 working properly.

As for the severity of the internet speed slowdown, well imagine if you are downloading around 400+ to 700Mbps, and then your download slows to a crawl of 14Mbps. While some devices will get disconnected.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 552 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@LiLAsN have you added any manual Traffic Prioritization rules by any chance?
Message 553 of 635
LiLAsN
Star

No. I have not used the Traffic Controller to allow traffic prioritization on certain devices.

Message 554 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not Traffic Controller I mean Traffic Prioritization at the bottom of the QoS page.
Message 555 of 635
LiLAsN
Star

Ah yes, apologies.
Yes, it is turned on. Not sure if it was me or by default. I guess you'd want me to turn this feature off? Thanks for the help btw. Appreciate it!

Message 556 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're welcome, yes please turn that off and then see if it behaves as expected.
Message 557 of 635
drcheesenipz
Guide

Well for me personally, these issues stand out:

1. WiFi Calling is wonky with 3.0. My Android devices work for most of the time, but the iPhones always lose WiFi Calling (not sure if it is an iOS problem, or the DumaOS 3.0 problem). Port numbers used for T-Mobile are here.

2. IPV6 does not work with QoS enabled. Actually, it does work for a few minutes after you re-enable QoS, but then IPV6 stops working until you disable QoS again. Had disabled IPV6 for the meantime.

3. Online devices still drop to offline status in device manager, eventhough they are connected and are operating normally. It effects wired devices more than wireless, and doesn't matter on which ethernet port. My Xbox One can appear offline in device manager when it is online, and two of my desktop PCs would do the same. A restart of the router always fixes it, but after sometime the problem starts up again.

These are the primary 3 that I have observed, and hopefully can get addressed with future updates.

Message 558 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're working on all that so hopefully will be improved for the next version.
Message 559 of 635
Aswitch
Aspirant

So interesting events. So pretty much since last weekend have not encountered crashing. Played a ton of Modern Warfare this week as well and no crashes I noticed. So unless some changes were maybe made backend possibly, I'm at a loss as to the nature of that issue but seemed to have resolved itself for now at least for me. One thing that comes to mind that possibly maybe is different is that I connected my consoles (PS4 Pro Xbox One X) to my switch(NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS324) connected to the Nighthawk. Don't neccessarily think that would make a substantial difference, but worth Mentioning at least.

Message 560 of 635
Snowaura
Guide

IHi, i just wanted to say, that i hope netgear is looking at the wifi stability of this router specially on the 2.4ghz wifi, I don't know if my unit is just bad or if its firmware, but most firmware revisions, it just plain doesn't work after a while and get random frequent disconnects. I also just wanted to say, to make it worse, i can't use my other router as an AP, cus dumaos picks it up in qos settings and ping in games spikes uncontrollably when trying to use another router as an AP to keep using the xr500. There needs to be better QoS options to maybe leave a device out of the qos settings. I hope my feedback helps within the future of this device.

Message 561 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it just 2.4GHz that is affected? If you use another router in AP mode then any devices connected to it will appear as though each are individually connected to the XR. You have to put it in AP mode otherwise you'll have the issues you mentioned. Also most likely Traffic Prioritization that caused that which you can disable.
Message 562 of 635
minino
Apprentice

when will new firmware 3.0 for xr500 come out? On the other hand, an idea would be to put an option to force the ping to be established and never exceed it even if it does not look for you if it were necessary but ensure better ping, and a geofilter that would let people from outside the geofilter enter but the server necessarily the one has been put in geofilter
Message 563 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is imminent! You can't force the ping to stay stable at a certain rate as by its nature it will fluctuate and there are variables we can't control.
Message 564 of 635
minino
Apprentice

I bought this router thinking that I was going to play nejor with less ping, on the contrary, I increased the latency and it is fatal, especially in apex besides that they take too long to update the router ...
Message 565 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you optimized QoS and the Geo-Filter and setup correctly?
Message 566 of 635
minino
Apprentice

Qos 70-70 always, geofilter spectating mode for apex legends , bad hit detection ...
Message 567 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

70/70% is just the starting point we recommend for QoS, would recommend experimenting with that to find what works best for your connection as well as using Traffic Prioritization.
Message 568 of 635
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

Apex Legends on PC isn't being detected as priority traffic. I have tried using All Dumaos classified games, putting PC on its own in QOS with Apex Legends, setting the PC as a Playstation etc. When the game first starts I sometimes get a few hundred packets being prioritised but it then stops.

Message 569 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Select Games Console when adding manually to Traffic Prioritization and it will work then.
Message 570 of 635
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Select Games Console when adding manually to Traffic Prioritization and it will work then.

Thanks for your reply. One question though, will this mean any traffic from PC is prioritised and will trigger the congestion control? 

Message 571 of 635
minino
Apprentice

I'll put the game console in traffic prioritization and I can assure you that in apex legends it is useless, the hit detection is disastrous, on the other hand the geofilter only works in spectating mode
Message 572 of 635
CoronalAurora
Apprentice

@minino wrote:
I'll put the game console in traffic prioritization and I can assure you that in apex legends it is useless, the hit detection is disastrous, on the other hand the geofilter only works in spectating mode

I can get geo filter to work by setting the pc in device manager as a playstation and then adding it to geofilter as a console. TBH hit detection in Apex is pants anyway (Thats what I keep telling myself Smiley LOL) but I take your point, at the moment the xr500 feels like a bog standard router that I keep having to reboot every day or 2 due to internet grinding to a halt. Maybe I should switch back to my isp router although I do find the wifi stronger on the xr500 for all my other devices.

Message 573 of 635
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@CoronalAurora no it shouldn't prioritize anything else unless you have any applications/services using ports in the range of 1024-65535.

@minino does it actually appear to be prioritizing with that option enabled? We're working on an Apex cloud so you can filter again.
Message 574 of 635
minino
Apprentice

Yeah, option is enabled , I really want to try the new update of dumaos 3 to see if it improves in something, when it will upload it we have been weeks since the release of the update is imminent, today could it be? ajhaha hopefully.
Message 575 of 635
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7