× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest firmware download

It's a beta test. Netgear and net duma never had to agree to update 3.0 on the older nighthawks. Be glad they did. Install the stable build if you're not happy with the beta. Tired of your mini rants filling this thread
Message 401 of 466
Allendc1
Guide

@Dumauser3348493
Be tired of it all you want, forum is open for discussion, whether you agree or not. We did not hype it up, netduma did. Now they can follow thru.
Message 402 of 466
lotustechie
Guide

I completely agree. There were several known issues and they don't seem to be taking it seriously. It's been almost two months since the last update. I'm not having any issues with the router, but that's only because I'm not trying to use the features that are still broken.

Message 403 of 466
bryer84
Apprentice

Hello @Dumauser3348493 ,do you understand the difference between an ALPHA and a BETA test and the way that development cycles work?

The XR500 is NOT a BETA test if you are putting it in to the category of a test. It's a ALPHA test, as many of the features are broken/not working properly.

Alpha builds tend to be 3 month cycles while a product is developed to a stable point, when it migrates to a Beta environment which should be able to receive fast updates and fixes.

When in BETA all base coding should be completed and fixes should be rolled out quickly in a timely fashion to resolve bugs etc as a product moves towards final consumer release, going on the current timelines, you should get DumaOS 3.0 FINAL on the XR500 sometime in Q4 2021, which in theory will be 2022.

The build of Duma OS 3.0 on XR500 is in my opinion a ALPHA product, while it's been given the BETA tag by Netduma their OS is probably at Beta levels, however due to Netgear causing delay after delay in providing Netduma with a rectified build, where most of the new features are broken this makes the whole process feel like an Open Alpha, which is tarnishing Netduma's name in my opinion.

While I could install the stable build, I do not have time to re apply all my custom settings and IP allocations etc, due to the DumaOS 3.0 build not being compatible with DumaOS 2.0, which is what causes most things to break. So while I have a basic functioning router on DumaOS 3.0, I upgraded in good faith, so can be annoyed and can rant as much as I like, because I cannot really roll back without investing considerable time. 

I do not agree with it taking over 9 weeks to get a fixed firmware out to the public for features that are core to the OS and are currently broken.

Message 404 of 466
Raf1212
Apprentice

@bryer84 I agree with you completely

@Dumauser3348493 if they did not have to agree to 3.0, the XR500 is leaky from the very beginning, practically everyone will tell you this, and as for the comments, I will and can write what I like, because for me it is a joke that companies such as netduma and netgear cannot do the software, and alpha (beta) tests last 6 months, look at asus or other router suppliers, I really regret I bought xr500,

@DarrenM I think it's time to say something, because the guys from netdum can't cope here anymore, what is happening with the software

Message 405 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Raf1212 when you bought the XR500 3.0 was not the software that was on it, that's not what you paid for. We could have just left it at that, given some fixes here and there as they come up but no we decided that this new evolution of firmware we have been working on deserves to be shared with all our customers despite the router they are on. We're even having it on the original router that we launched on in 2014. It is a HUGE amount of work trying to make this firmware work on so many different router architectures at once. Understandably there will be issues along the way. If you're not happy with it then go back to 2.0, nothing is stopping you doing that. However, saying we can't cope I feel is quite insulting. If you want to help by providing feedback that's great but that kind of rhetoric is unnecessary - it's not going to speed up anything.
Message 406 of 466
locosano
Star

Hello fraser I allow myself to respond to this comment.

The problem is that since the release of the xr500 there have always been problems which were not fixed even on version 2.0 upnp which does not display all the ports, the dhcp options which deactivate the qos on the upload side, a lot badly located ip address in the geofilter (unfortunately ping assist was implemented). Random internet cuts and so on.

I had the r1 and the xr500 I start to buy the r2 (even if the equipment used seems a little weak) but when I see the results with the xr500 2 and a half years later it scares me.

Version 3.0 has a lot of interesting functionality but with a lot of bugs and instability.

I made a lot of comments at the beginning of beta but I have a feeling that the project was abandoned it's been more than 5 years that I use netduma but at the time of today I am disappointed and septic you have too much router to manage with different hardware and apparently you cannot fix the bugs that persist.

Sorry for the translation I'm in France

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 407 of 466
Raf1212
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser ,as he writes @locosano ,it is unacceptable and after what happens this software will never work properly on the XR500 and you as netduma and netgear will shoot your knee,and in social media pumping the balloon what your routers are amazing and it is not ,it's a pity because r1 worked really great

Message 408 of 466
Killhippie
Prodigy

Ther never was a DumaOS 2.0 there was Milestone 1.3 released in December 2018 if memory serves me right. There never was a DumaOS 2.0 there was going to be a Milestone 1.4 then the naming system was changed.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Developer-Blog-1-The-Future-of-DumaOS-...

Message 409 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I understand your frustration, I really do. It has been slower to get updates out than I thought but I know that's just because the team are really focused on doing the best they can. I can assure you we haven't abandoned any router hardware that has our software on.
Message 410 of 466
bryer84
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I understand your frustration, I really do. It has been slower to get updates out than I thought but I know that's just because the team are really focused on doing the best they can. I can assure you we haven't abandoned any router hardware that has our software on.

Netduma might not of abandoned it (XR500), but from where we are all sitting, it looks like Netgear have.

Message 411 of 466
Jawwk
Star

@bryer84 wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Netduma might not of abandoned it (XR500), but from where we are all sitting, it looks like Netgear have.

Most likely the truth 😕

Message 412 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It definitely hasn't been abandoned, please don't worry about that!

Message 413 of 466
Anton774
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser  hasn't *

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It definitely has been abandoned, please don't worry about that!

Message 414 of 466
TheFuzzyOne87
Apprentice

got to be the worst typo with everyone getting high rated at the moment! Smiley LOL

@Anton774 wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser  hasn't *

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It definitely has been abandoned, please don't worry about that!

Message 415 of 466
Scrubosaurus
Guide

poor guy, leave @Netduma-Fraser alone xD

Message 416 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Haha woops, sorry about that. Fixed it! Thanks for the heads up 😄
Message 417 of 466
Jayd150
Aspirant

Hey i have a problem with the beta it keeps disconecting me from the internet is the updated .104 and its saying that cant reach dns
Message 418 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is likely due to the DHCP issue I'm talking to NG about currently. Give the XR a static/reserved WAN IP on your ISP hub if possible, also give your LAN devices reserved IPs.
Message 419 of 466
stephenmillar18
Aspirant

After installing beta i get this . The Rapp is not loaded yet,please try again in a minute. I have performed atleast 10 factory resets and it just sticks at this part every time i put my wifi details in the app wont load. Need help?
Message 420 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Rapp not loaded should be resolved by just a reset. Where is it appearing exactly? What app are you referring to?
Message 421 of 466
stephenmillar18
Aspirant

After a week of of bugs i performed a factory reset and now every time i put my details in ie admin and password then security questions the router disconnects as usual but when i reconnect to the router on 5ghz or 2ghz and put the ip address of router in search bar and my name and password i get a buffering circle and after 20 secs is says rapp not ready. I've factory reset multiple times and tried tftp multiple times to no avail. Have no idea what to do next
Message 422 of 466
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend downgrading the firmware then at this point as that is very strange behavior, it's not even at the point where we can really debug it either.
Message 423 of 466
Xolhid
Apprentice

Tell me... how can he downgrade if he can't access the router UI? That is how I read it.

Message 424 of 466
iielmesswavy
Apprentice

@bryer84 usually I would agree on your statement. But you are incorrect on one thing. The firmware/download is not in alpha stage. It's in the beta stage and even dev/Alex have confirmed that by literally providing us with the download attachment  that clearly states it's a beta... everything has bugs or fixes that need to be made even a completed version, otherwise we wouldn't need an update for everything.

@everybody be patient or just go back to version .56 and just stop complaining like little babies. Your complaining wont make the update come sooner. Clearly, there are doing something in background.... if you don't like it then oh wells.

Message 425 of 466
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7