× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Manage vlan with switch s8000 for xr500

albert-dh
Guide

Manage vlan with switch s8000 for xr500

Hello,

I want to manage the vlan of my isp with the s8000 switch but I cannot configure it correctly. Can somebody help me? The problem that I have is that the qos in upload does not work in XR500 if the router manages the vlan.

The vlan of my isp is VLAN: 6 priority: 1

Please, if someone knows the solution, I would appreciate if you could give me the instructions step by step. Thanks a lot.

ESQUEMA.jpg

Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can't use a switch behind a modem/ONT so you would require another router to do that instead.
Message 2 of 7
albert-dh
Guide

Hello,

but the switch S8000 cannot manage vlan's?   IEEE 802.1Q advanced protocol

Thabk you!

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes I believe it can but you need to route the modem/ONT connection before you can use a switch.
Message 4 of 7
Zombie_smut_1
Aspirant

I believe that the ont should be static and maybe you need a public ip block in place and statics assigned to you so ur switch can work and output ip addys correct then your router does the rest after the switch
Message 5 of 7
Zombie_smut_1
Aspirant

A switch behind gateway can be done. And before a router.
Message 6 of 7
quadrophenic
Apprentice

That seems like a terrible waste of a very expensive switch! An edgerouter X would give you must better options at a fraction of the price. However, on the 2 relevant ports on the switch mark them both as VLAN 6. they will both need the PVID of 6 and should be the only members of VLAN 6 and only BE members of VLAN 6. Port to ONT should be tagged, port to router wan untagged. Disable the VLAN on the router as it will just cause the issue you are trying to avoid regarding the QoS. 

I guess you have already wired it all properly but my logic is based on wiring like this:

ont > sw/1 - sw/2 >r/wan

outgoing - router will send untagged packets to switch, switch should then tag them vlan6 and send them out to the ont tagged. 

incoming - ont will send tagged packet to switch, switch will remove the tag and send to the router untagged. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7